- Ansar al-Furqan Iran Declares No Connection to Group of Similar Name in Syria
Ansar al-Furqan Iran declared that it has no connection to "Ansar al-Iran in the Land of Sham [Syria]," a group that had announced its establishment three days prior.
- HTS' Ebaa News Agency Reports on Battles with IS in Eastern Hama, Retaking Villages and Killing Dozens
Ebaa News Agency, a media unit of Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), reported on the group's ongoing battles with Islamic State (IS) fighters in the east of Syria's Hama governorate, with HTS retaking villages and killing dozens.
- IS Claims 3-Man Suicide Raid at Police HQ in Syrian Capital
The Islamic State (IS) claimed killing and wounding dozens in a three-man suicide raid at a police headquarters in the Syrian capital, Damascus.
- 'Amaq Video Shows Scenes from IS-Held Syrian Town of Qaryatayn
The Islamic State's (IS) 'Amaq News Agency released a video showing scenes from the IS-held town of Qaryatayn in Homs, Syria.
- HTS Claims Gains in Idlib from the Regime, Restoring Control of Villages from IS in Eastern Hama
Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) celebrated gains and victory against the regime forces in the southern countryside of Idlib, and reported regaining control of several villages which were temporarily lost to the Islamic State (IS) in the eastern countryside of Hama.
- IS Reports Offensive on HTS Positions in Eastern Hama, HTS Calls Group a “Tool” to Implement Russian Project
The Islamic State's (IS) Hama Province in Syria reported its fighters mounting a "broad offensive" on positions held by Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) in the east, taking four elements prisoner and capturing 13 villages.
- IS Claims Repulsing Joint Russian-Syrian Military Advance in Deir al-Zour with Turkish Suicide Bomber
Through a suicide bombing by a Turkish fighter, the Islamic State (IS) claimed repulsing an attempt by Russian soldiers and Syrian regime forces to advance on a position in eastern Deir al-Zour.
- IS Claims Capturing Syrian City of Qaryatan, Surrounding Areas
The Islamic State’s (IS) Damascus Province reported that fighters took control over the city of Qaryatayn and surrounding areas, while killing and wounding dozens of Syrian regime forces.
- Alleged British IS Fighter Speaks from Raqqah in Audio, Says City is Being "Obliterated" not Liberated
A man identifying himself as British Islamic State (IS) fighter in the Syrian city of Raqqah spoke on the situation amidst coalition airstrikes and the offensive by Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), saying that the de facto capital of the “Caliphate” is being "obliterated" not liberated.
- 'Amaq Releases Video of Two Russian Soldiers Captured by IS in Deir al-Zour
The Islamic State's (IS) 'Amaq News Agency released a video of two Russian soldiers captured by the group in Shola village in Deir al-Zour, Syria.
- IS Reports on Launch of "Abu Muhammad al-'Adnani Invasion" in Naba 99, Tallies Ops in Sinai in Past Year
In the 99th issue of its newly-designed al-Naba weekly newspaper, the Islamic State (IS) reported on the launch of a military campaign named in honor of former spokesman Abu Muhammad al-'Adnani, and in an infographic, tallied operations in Sinai in a one-year period.
- IS Claims Killing Nearly 40 Syrian Regime Forces, Capturing Checkpoints, Village, Gas Station in Homs
The Islamic State (IS) claimed killing nearly 40 and wounding “dozens” of Syrian regime forces in a widespread attack in the areas surrounding Sukhna.
- IS Claims Killing at Least 80 Russian and Syrian Soldiers, Capturing Two Russians in Deir al-Zour
The Islamic State's (IS) Khayr Province, its division for Deir al-Zour, Syria, claimed killing at least 80 Russian and Syrian soldiers as well as capturing two Russians, during an offensive on two axes.
- IS Claims Killing Nearly 100 Syrian Regime Forces in offensive in Homs
The Islamic State's (IS) Homs Province claimed that its fighters killed nearly 100 Syrian regime forces thus far in an ongoing offensive south of Sukhna.
- 'Amaq Reports IS Fighters Taking Two Russian Soldiers Prisoner, Killing a Third Amidst Offensive in Deir al-Zou
The Islamic State's (IS) 'Amaq News Agency reported that the group captured two Russian soldiers in the west of Syria's Deir al-Zour governorate, and killed a third, and also killed thus far 33 Syrian regime forces.
- HTS Claims Killing More Than 10 Regime Soldiers in Northern Hama
Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) reported killing more than 10 Syrian regime soldiers in the northern countryside of Hama, after repelling an attempted advance by the regime army over the checkpoints in Tel Za’atar, Madjanet al-Naddaf, Beyout al-Mokhtar, north of the village of Ma’an.
- IS Claims Killing Nearly 120 SDF in Offensive in Eastern Raqqah City
The Islamic State's (IS) Raqqah Province claimed killing nearly 120 Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in an offensive in the east of the capital city.
- IS Claims Killing, Wounding 80 Syrian Regime Forces While Halting Second Attempt on Position in Deir al-Zour
Boasting that its fighters successfully thwarted a second attempt by the Syrian regime to storm one of its positions in Deir al-Zour, the Islamic State (IS) claimed killing and wounding 80 in a suicide bombing and subsequent clash.
- IS Publishes Photos of Ambushing Alleged American, SDF Vehicles on Hasakah-Deir al-Zour Highway
The Islamic State’s Barakah Province, its division for Deir al-Zour, Syria, published a photo report on ambushing what it described as vehicles of the “American Crusader army and PKK apostates” on the Kharafi highway.
- IS Claims Killing Two Russians, 9 Opposition and “PKK” Elements in Eastern Deir al-Zour
Following an earlier claim of killing 30 soldiers from the Russian and Syrian armies in a clash on the outskirts of Madhlum in eastern Deir al-Zour, the Islamic State (IS) reported that it killed another two Russians, as well as “PKK” and opposition elements in the same village.
- IS Claims Killing 3 Russian Soldiers in Western Hasakah, ‘Amaq Publishes Photos of Corpses
The Islamic State’s (IS) Barakah Province, its division of Hasakah, Syria, claimed killing three Russian soldiers during clashes, and the group’s ‘Amaq News Agency published photos of the corpses.
- IS Claims Halting Syrian Regime Offensive in Deir al-Zour, Killing at Least 40 in Clashes, 3 Suicide Bombings
The Islamic State’s (IS) Khayr Province, its division for Deir al-Zour, Syria, claimed halting an offensive on multiple locations by Syrian regime forces, killing at least 40.
- Hamza bin Laden Urges Muslims in Audio to Participate in Syrian Jihad
Hamza bin Laden, a son of former al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Usama bin Laden, urged Muslims to participate in jihad in Syria through physical or financial means, and help stop what he described as “international Crusader-Rafidhi aggression”.
- IS-Linked Channels Distribute Translation of Message to Hama Province Encouraging “Perseverance” Against Regime Forces
Telegram Channels linked to the Islamic State (IS) disseminated an English translation of a message attributed to the group’s “Delegated Committee,” offering encouragement to its Hama Province in fighting against Syrian regime forces.
- Prominent Jihadi Cleric Abdullah al-Muhaysini Resigns from HTS
Prominent Saudi jihadi cleric Abdullah al-Muhaysini announced his resignation from Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), citing transgressions against its Shariah Committee and his being unable to change “errors” he witnessed and bloodshed and in-fighitng.
- IS Reports 40 Syrian Regime Forces Killed, Dozens Wounded in Offensive on Humaymah
The Islamic State (IS) reported the killing of 40 Syrian regime forces and the wounding of dozens in an offensive on Humaymah, where 25 alone were allegedly killed in a suicide bombing.
- In Unverified Audio, HTS Official Julani Purportedly Discourages Arrest of Prominent HTS Official to Avoid “Huge Crisis”
Jihadists on Telegram disseminated a video containing unverified audio of Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) official Abu Muhammad al-Julani purportedly discouraging the arrest of group official Abdullah al-Muhaysini so as to avoid “a huge crisis.”
- IS Video Shows Russian Soldiers Killed During Clashes in Hama, Two Suicide Bombings
The Islamic State’s (IS) Hama Province in Syria released a video on recent clashes in Uqayribat, showing dead Russian soldiers among the casualties.
- IS Video Focuses on Elderly Fighter Brainwashing Children to Become Suicide Bombers, Inciting Attacks in America, China, and Russia
The Islamic State (IS) released a video from its Khayr Province (Deir al-Zour) in Syria focusing on an elderly fighter brainwashing children to become suicide bombers and inciting Muslims outside the country, namely those in America, China, and Russia, to carry out attacks.
- IS Identifies Swedish Boy as Slain Media Operative in Raqqah
The Islamic State’s (IS) Raqqah Province in Syria identified a Swedish boy as a slain media operative.
- Hezbollah Says US will be “Held Responsible” for Any Deaths from IS Members’ Disrupted Travel from Syrian Border
Hezbollah released a statement commenting on the U.S. government’s halting of Islamic State (IS) members’ transport from the Syria-Lebanon border, calling for the international community “to prevent the occurrence of a horrible massacre.”
- Tunisian IS Fighter Calls on Fighters in Raqqah to Kill During Eid, Carries Out Suicide Bombing in City
The Islamic State’s (IS) Raqqah Province in Syria released a video showing a Tunisian suicide bomber calling on fighters in the area to kill during Eid and carry out a suicide operation in the city.
- IS Supporters Express Disbelief, Justification of Group’s Deal for Safe Transfer from Lebanese Border Region
Following a reported deal for the evacuation of Islamic State (IS) fighters from the Syrian-Lebanese border, IS supporters responded with a mix of denial and attempted justification.
- IS Fighter in Video Calls Muslims in the West to Mount Domestic Attacks During Eid al-Adha
An Islamic State (IS) fighter in a video from the group’s division in Deir al-Zour, Syria, called on Muslims in the West to mount domestic attacks during Eid al-Adha.
- IS Issues Communique for Two Russian Soldiers Killed during Clashes in Hama, Syria
After its ‘Amaq News Agency reported that two Russian soldiers were killed during clashes in Hama, Syria, the Islamic State (IS) issued a formal communique for the attack, stating a number of Syrian forces were killed as well.
- IS’ ‘Amaq Reports Two Russian Soldiers Killed During Clash in Hama, Publishes Photo of One
The Islamic State’s (IS) ‘Amaq News Agency reported that two Russian soldiers were killed during clashes in Hama, Syria, and published a photo of the corpse of one.
- IS Releases Video on Storming Syrian Army and Hezbollah Positions on Iraq-Syria Border Just Five Days Prior
The Islamic State (IS) released a video on its August 23, 2017, raid on positions of Syrian regime forces and Hezbollah elements in Wadi al-Wa’ir near the Iraq-Syria border.
- IS’ ‘Amaq Reports Attack on American Base in Hasakah, Syria
The Islamic State's (IS) 'Amaq News Agency reported an attack on an American base in Shaddadi, located in Hasakah, Syria.
- Ansar al-Furqan Publishes Cartoons of Bashar al-Assad, Ali Khamenei, Suggests Using Them as ‘Gun Target Practice’
Ansar al-Furqan, a Balochistan-based Sunni jihadi group, published cartoons of Syria’s President, Bashar al-Assad, and Supreme Leader of Iran, Ali Khamenei, with targets over their heads and bodies, suggesting fighters use them as “gun target prectise [sic].”
- IS Claims Killing 100 Syrian Soldiers in Raid, Suicide Bombing in Raqqah
The Islamic State’s (IS) Raqqah Province in Syria claimed killing nearly 100 regime forces in a raid on multiple positions, and a suicide bombing in the southeast of the governorate.
In a communique issued on August 24, 2017, the group reported that its fighters stormed various positions of the Syrian army, killing 42 and regaining control over seven villages. Meanwhile, it said, the fighter Abu Raji al-Julani detonated his vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (VBIED) on the outskirts of one of the villages, Ghanim al-‘Ali, killing another 58.
- 10-Year-Old American Boy Featured in IS Video from Raqqah, Tells Trump Battle Will End in West
The Islamic State’s (IS) Raqqah Province in Syria released a video featuring a 10-year-old American boy, who gave a message to U.S. President Donald Trump that the battle will not end in Raqqah or Mosul but in “your lands”.
- Jihadi Media Group Gives Bio of Slain French AQ Explosives Expert David Drugeon
The jihadi media group al-Fursan published a biography of David Drugeon (AKA Abu Hamza al-Jaza’iri, Salman al-Faransi), a French al-Qaeda (AQ) explosives expert killed in an airstrike in Aleppo, Syria, in July 2015.
- IS Reports 40 Hezbollah Fighters Killed in Latest Update on Ongoing Clashes in Western Qalamoun
In its latest update on the ongoing clashes in western Qalamoun, the Islamic State (IS) reported that it killed nearly 40 Hezbollah fighters.
- IS Claims Suicide Attack Involving Indian Fighter in Raqqah
The Islamic State (IS) claimed killing and wounding a “number” of what it described as “PKK apostates” in a suicide attack involving an Indian fighter in Raqqah.
In a communique published on August 21, 2017, the group’s Raqqah Province reported that one day prior, the fighters Abu Yusuf al-Hindi and Abu Fahd Qaryatayn engaged in a clash with enemy forces in northwestern Raqqah, during which they detonated their explosive vests.
- IS Claims Killing Nearly 100 Lebanese Soldiers, Hezbollah Fighters Amidst Ongoing Clashes in Western Qalamoun
The Islamic State’s (IS) Damascus Province in Syria claimed killing nearly 100 Lebanese soldiers and Hezbollah fighters amidst clashes in western Qalamoun.
- HTS Releases Photos of Training Camp in Latakkia
Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) released a photo report showing the group’s training camp in the northern countryside of Latakkia.
- Ahrar al-Sham Announces Major Changes in Its Leadership
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement’s new general commander Hassan Sufan announced major changes within thegroup’s leadership, appointing four figures to replace his current First Deputy Leader, General Military Commander, Chief of the Political Wing, and Secretary General.
- IS Claims Killing Nearly 80 Syrian Soldiers in Offensive in Eastern Homs
The Islamic State (IS) claimed killing nearly 80 Syrian soldiers in an offensive from three axes on their positions in the east of Syria’s Homs governorate.
- Ahrar al-Sham’s New Leader Expresses Readiness to Work with Rebel Groups against Common Enemy in First Address
Hassan Sufan, the newly appointed general commander of Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement, apologized to the Syrian people for the group’s loss of vision “in trivial disputes,” and promised to continue to keep the revolution alive by fighting the regime and the Islamic State (IS).
- HTS Publishes 2nd Episode of Video Series “Shooters of Horror”
Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) published the second episode of its video series “Shooters of Horror” in which the group provides real footage of an HTS fighter sniping at least 4 enemy forces in the southern countryside of Aleppo.
- Pro-IS Channels Warn of Migrant Fighters Being Killed in Idlib, Claim Fleeing to IS “Best Option”
Pro-Islamic State (IS) Telegram channels warned of dangers posted to migrant fighters amid rebel infighting in Idlib, stating that fleeing to IS is the best remaining option for such individuals still in Syria.
- IS Claims Killing, Wounding 60 “PKK Apostates” in Suicide Bombings in 2 Days in Raqqah
The Islamic State (IS) claimed killing and wounding over 60 from what it described as “PKK apostates” in suicide bombings over a two-day period in Raqqah, Syria.
- Ahrar al-Sham Announce Change of Leadership
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement’s Shura Council announced appointing Hassan Sufan (Abu al-Bara) as the group’s new general commander.
- HTS Announces Readiness to Dissolve in Eastern Ghouta
Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) announced its willingness to “dissolve into one entity that brings together all factions of the central sector” in Eastern Ghouta, in response to the calls of the “aggrieved people” in the area hoping to avoid any violations of the ceasefire, which requires HTS’ withdrawal from the territory.
- IS Video Shows Over 15 Foreign Fighters, Including English-Speaking Somali, Engaged in Battles in Raqqah
The Islamic State’s (IS) Raqqah Province released a video featuring over 15 foreign fighters, including an English-speaking Somali who addressed U.S. President Donald Trump, engaged in battles against Kurdish fighters.
- Shura Council of Scholars in Syria Declares Pledges to HTS Leader Julani “Null and Void,” Calls Factions to Respond to “Criminality”
After declaring Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) military commander Abu Muhammad al-Julani a “war criminal” and calling on fighters under him to break away, the Shura Council of Scholars in al-Sham [Syria] announced that pledges to him are “null and void,” and urged revolutionary factions to respond to HTS’ “criminality”.
- IS Claims Killing 60 “PKK Apostates” in Four-Team Raid in Eastern Raqqah
The Islamic State (IS) claimed killing 60 elements of what it described as “PKK apostates” in a four-team raid on their camp and another military position in the east of Raqqah, Syria.
- IS Claims Suicide Bombing by Swedish Fighter on “PKK Apostates” South of Raqqah
The Islamic State (IS) claimed killing 11 “PKK apostates” in a suicide bombing by a Swedish fighter south of Raqqah.
- HTS Claims Killing over 200 Hezbollah and Iranian Militia Forces in Western Qalamoun in the Course of Five Days
Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) claimed killing over 200 Hezbollah and Iranian militia forces and wounding over 250 in the past five days in fierce clashes in Western Qalamoun.
- HTS Video Shows Execution of 2 IS Members in Idlib
Ebaa News Agency released a video of the execution of two alleged IS cell members responsible for the death of Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) fighters and civilians in Idlib city.
- Shura Council of Scholars in Syria Demands HTS Members Leave Organization, Calls Julani a “War Criminal”
The Shura Council of Scholars in Sham [Syria] issued a statement criticizing Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), calling its general military commander Abu Muhammad al-Julani a “war criminal.”
- Australian Cleric, Former JFS Official, Expresses Disapproval of Recent Battle Between Ahrar al-Sham and HTS
Australian cleric and former Jabhat Fateh al-Sham (JFS) official Mostafa Mahamed Farag (AKA Abu Sulayman al-Muhajir) released a statement in which he deliberated on the infighting between Ahrar al-Sham and Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), calling it “existential” and explained why it is immoral as per His view of Islamic Shariah.
- HTS Reports Transgressions by Ahrar al-Sham on its Positions Throughout Idlib
With ongoing tensions between Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) and Ahrar al-Sham in past weeks ultimately erupting in violence, Ahrar al-Sham has reportedly launched coordinated attacks against HTS, with its fighters storming and taking control over cities and villages throughout Idlib.
- IS Video Showing Sniper Training and Attacks on PKK in Raqqah, Claims 164 Killed in Month-Period
The Islamic State’s (IS) Raqqah Province released a video focusing on the training and attacks of its snipers, featuring footage of sniper fire on PKK fighters, and an infographic claiming to have killed 164 and wounded 90 in a one-month period.
- HTS Arrests 4 Additional IS Fighters, Discovers IS Explosive Warehouse in Idlib
Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) announced arresting 4 more IS fighters and discovering a warehouse belonging to an IS cell in Idlib as part of the group’s widespread anti-IS campaign.
- Jaish al-Islam Reports “Record-Breaking” Casualties Caused to Syrian Regime Forces in Two Days
Jaish al-Islam announced killing at least 19 Syrian regime forces in Eastern Ghouta, stating this is the most casualties incurred on to the Syrian regime in two days.
- HTS Reports Further Arrests of IS Fighters in Idlib, IS Responds with Suicide Bombing
Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) announced capturing 53 Islamic State (IS) fighters as part of the group’s anti-IS arrest campaign in Idlib.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Incites Against Lebanese Army over Arsal Refugee Camp Raids
After nine months of inactivity, the Lebanon-based Brigades of Abdullah Azzam resumed issuing propaganda, publishing a statement inciting Sunnis in the country against the Lebanese army over its raids on Syrian refugee camps in Arsal.
- HTS Media Affiliate Publishes Infographic on Anti-IS Arrest Campaign in Idlib
A media affiliate of Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) published an infographic on the group's anti-Islamic State (IS) arrest campaign in Idlib, Syria.
- HTS Reports Additional Arrests of IS Officials in Idlib, Pro-IS Group Says Captured are al-Qaeda Elements who Refused Pledging to HTS
During its "extensive security operation" against Islamic State (IS) cells in Idlib, Syria, Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) claimed additional arrests of IS officials, including its "governor" for northern Syria, while a pro-IS group charged that the captured elements are al-Qaeda elements who refused pledging to HTS.
- IS Identifies German as “Martyr” in ar-Raqqah
The Islamic State (IS) identified a German man as a “martyr” in its ar-Raqqah Province in Syria.
- IS Supporter Sees Hope in Group’s Eventual Resurgence Following Expected Defeat in Iraq and Syria
Islamic State (IS) supporters circulated an essay expressing hope in the group’s eventual resurgence following its expected defeat in Iraq and Syria.
- IS Military Commander in Naba 87 Interview: Preparations for Mosul Battle Began with Liberation of City, Civilians Joined Fighters
The head of the Islamic State’s (IS) “Department of Soldiery” discussed the Mosul battle in an interview in the 87th issue of the group’s al-Naba newspaper, claiming that preparations for the engagement that has been ongoing since October 2016 were made as soon as the IS seized control over the city in June 2014.
- IS-Praising Rap Lyrics Posted on Telegram Tout Group’s Expansion “From the East to the West”
A pro-Islamic State (IS) Telegram channel posted rap-styled lyrics touting the group’s ongoing “victory” and steady expansion across the globe.
- Jihadist Advises IS Supporters Seeking to Travel from Tunisia to Turkey
A jihadist gave advice to Islamic State (IS) supporters seeking to travel from Tunisia to Turkey presumably to enter Iraq or Syria.
- HTS News in Syria for July 6, 2017
Highlights: HTS claims targeting Syrian regime soldiers in the Hama countryside, Qalamoun, Aleppo, and Homs; reports the discovery of an IS cell and arresting its members in the countryside of Idlib, and conflicts with Ahrar al-Sham over power supply lines in the same area.
- Australian Doctor under IS Calls for Attacks, Challenges “Old Trump” to Put Boots on the Ground
An Australian doctor living under the Islamic State (IS) condemned America’s “continuous bombings” on children and called for attacks “in the countries that are sending us rockets.”
- IS’ “Monetary Committee” Announces Currency Regulations within Held-Territory in Syria
The Islamic State’s (IS) “Monetary Committee” announced regulations on its currency and Syrian Lire in the territory is holds in Syria, and indicated it would begin broadcasting daily information one exchange rates.
- HTS News in Syria for June 26, 2017
Highlights: HTS claims major advances in al-Quneitra and battles with the Syrian regime’s army and pro-regime militias in the countryside of Damascus, and Aleppo and Hama; reports repelling an infiltration attempt by the IS into a refugee area in Damascus and an attempted advance of the IS-linked Jaish Khaled bin al-Walid in the western countryside of Daraa.
- European Fighter Condemns Western Society in Al Muhajirun Video, Urges Muslims to Immigrate to Islamic Countries
Al Muhajirun, a group promoting itself as the “representative face” of foreign fighters from various jihadi factions in Syria, released a video featuring a European fighter condemning Western society and urging Muslims there to immigrate to Islamic countries to freely practice their religion.
- Uzbek Group within HTS Releases Training Camp Video
The Tawhid wal Jihad Brigade, an Uzbek group within Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) in Syria, released a training camp video featuring the religious and military education given to its fighters.
- Former JFS Official Calls for Unity, Deems Islamic State a “Cancer”
In the final installment of his open-interview, Australian cleric and former Jabhat Fateh al-Sham (JFS) official Mostafa Mahamed (AKA Abu Sulayman al-Muhajir) called for unity among Muslims and non-Muslims, discussed suicide operations and an Islamic government, and deemed the Islamic State (IS) a “cancer” that one must “completely eliminate.”
- IS Claims Killing, Wounding More than 53 PKK, Regime Soldiers in Raqqah and South of Tabqa Airfield
The Islamic State (IS) claimed targeting PKK forces and Syrian Regime soldiers in suicide operations and clashes in Raqqah and south of Tabqa Airfield, killing and wounding more than 53.
- Second Issue of Haqiqa Jihadi Magazine Focuses on Prisons, Migration to Syria
Jihadists released the second issue of Haqiqa magazine, focusing on Muslim imprisonment and migration to Syria.
- Muhaysini Expresses Disgust with IS for “Staining Islam’s Reputation” After Assassination Attempt on His Life
Abdullah al-Muhaysini, a prominent Saudi cleric and Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) official, expressed disgust with the Islamic State (IS) for “staining Islam’s Reputation” following a recent assassination attempt on his life, and discussed the West’s continued persecution of HTS, stating, “we have nothing to do with you.”
Bilal Abdul Kareem, a commentator embedded with Syrian rebels, conducted the 23 minute, 55 second interview via his On the Ground News (OGN) media organization. The English-subtitled video was entitled “Dr. Abdullah Muhaysini Responds to Controversies,” and was uploaded on YouTube on June 20, 2017.
After briefly discussing the events of the assassination attempt, Muhaysini regarded Muslims who migrate to join IS, declaring he was “very sad” of the consequences. Muhaysini explained that Islam is a religion of mercy and peace, and that the actions of IS fighters “stain Islam’s image.” He stated:
And that makes me sad because also they’ll stain Islam’s image. I am sad also for the Mujahidin because they’ll stain the Mujahidin’s image. Many people will not be able to differentiate between the true Mujahidin today who belong to the mercy and justice of Allah’s religion Islam, and those (ISIS) who made their religion to be the sucking of blood, killing of innocents and the [severing of] body parts (as in explosions). I am very sad for that and insha’Allah this sadness is regarding the staining of Islam’s image and that some people may not differentiate between the Mujahidin and the injustice of those people (ISIS).
Muhaysini then addressed the would-be assassin and his supporters directly, asserting that they “have lost the way” and advising them to “return back to Allah Almighty”:
The message, since you want it to be direct, is for the man who wanted to kill me a few days ago, and he killed himself. I am asking, ‘What did you benefit out of this?’ For sure now he is with Allah, and perhaps [he has been placed in] Hell, and there are many, like him, who support and sympathize with people like him....Fear Allah and I know that you all want the paradise but you have lost the way. I know that you want with sincere intentions to go to Paradise otherwise you wouldn’t kill yourself, but I am telling you that good intentions (alone) are not enough...so I advise you to return back to Allah Almighty
Abdullah al-Muhaysini additionally discussed the West’s continued persecution of HTS following its rebranding and split from al-Qaeda (AQ) under its former name, Nusra Front (NF). He concluded that HTS is entirely unlike AQ in both policy and leadership, and since entering Syria as NF, its actions have always concerned the Syrian people foremost. He accused the West of “delud[ing] the Syrian people” and stated that “[NF] is the one who brought you the problems,” and that, even after HTF formed, the West used “double standards” to continue targeting the group:
The Syrian people’s interest is more important than everything and that Syrian people want Islam and the toppling of Bashar Al-Assad and this is why they (AQ) came to Syria. And then they said we will declare disengagement with Al-Qaida and they changed their name. And this was a bad situation for the West, and the West is using double standards. If they were professional they would say we are outside the war as long as you are fighting in Syria so we have nothing to do with you. And we were fighting you for that reason but now we are outside of the issue.
The interview additionally addressed Muhaysini’s status as a terrorist in his home country of Saudi Arabia. It concluded with a request for the audience to send additional questions for a future open interview with the cleric, likely similar to OGN’s two-part interview with Australian cleric and former Jabhat Fateh al-Sham (JFS) official Mostafa Mahamed (AKA Abu Sulayman al-Muhajir) earlier this month.
- ‘Amaq Video Shows Use of IS’ Currency in Deir al-Zour Markets
‘Amaq News Agency released a video documenting the use of the Islamic State’s (IS) currency in markets in Deir al-Zour, Syria, two years after the announcement of its minting and eventual circulation.
- Ebaa News Agency Interviews HTS Cleric Following IS’ Failed Assassination Attempt on Him
In an Ebaa News Agency interview, Abdullah Muhaysini recounted surviving an assassination attempt by an alleged member of the Islamic State (IS) and reprimanded the perpetrators for choosing to target the liberated areas rather than their apparent enemies.
- Former JFS Official Calls U.K. Attacks “Completely Unjustified,” Discusses Reasons for Joining and Leaving NF/JFS
Australian cleric and former Jabhat Fateh al-Sham (JFS) official Mostafa Mahamed (AKA Abu Sulayman al-Muhajir) condemned the recent Manchester and London attacks, and explained why he joined—and later left—the Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s (AQ) former Syrian affiliate.
- IS Claims Killing Two U.S. Soldiers, Wounding Third in ar-Raqqah Province
The Islamic State (IS) claimed killing two American soldiers and wounding a third in ar-Raqqah province.
- Jihadist Urges Lone Wolves Attack Gas and Oil Sites Throughout Africa, Europe, Middle East, and Russia
A jihadist urged lone wolves to burn and bomb gas and oil pipelines and wells throughout Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and Russia in revenge for coalition strikes on Islamic State (IS) positions in Mosul and ar-Raqqah.
- A Founder of IS’ ‘Amaq News Agency Killed in Airstrike, According to Unverified Announcements
A founder of the Islamic State’s (IS) ‘Amaq News Agency was killed in an airstrike in Syria, according to reports disseminated on social media.
- HTS Publishes First Episode of Video Series “Shooters of Horror”
Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) published a video showcasing the significance of snipers during battles.
- IS Claims Killing, Wounding Over 170 Syrian Soldiers in Eastern Hama Offensive
The Islamic State (IS) claimed killing and wounding over 170 Syrian regime soldiers in an offensive in eastern Hama.
- HTS News in Syria for May 18, 2017
Highlights: No reports of military operations; HTS recruits youth from Damascus; HTS-controlled areas undergo rehab activities in Idlib; regime forces continue attacks on agricultural crops in Idlib; HTS shows fortifications in western Aleppo.
- Jihadist Telegram Channel Solicits Donations to Syria, Provides Private Contact Information
A jihadist Telegram channel requested donations while describing monetary contributions made to “needy Muslim families” and “wives of martyrs” in Syria.
- French-Language Jihadi Chat Users Suggest Migration to Syria Via Jordan
Users on a Telegram French-language jihadist chat group discussed potential migration routes to Raqqa, Syria, suggesting traveling via Jordan.
- IS’ ‘Amaq Reports Attack in Rukban Refugee Camp on Syria-Jordan Border
The Islamic State’s (IS) ‘Amaq News Agency reported that IS fighters carried out an attack in Rukban Refugee Camp on the Syria-Jordan border.
- IS’ ‘Amaq Releases Video Showing Destruction of Antique Statues in Al Salhia region, Deir al-Zour
The Islamic State’s (IS) ‘Amaq News Agency released a video showing the destruction of antique statues “that were made by the tyrants as idols who are worshipped other than Allah” in Deir al-Zour.
- IS Claims Killing “Nearly 100” from PKK Forces in Clashes across its Raqqah Province
The Islamic State (IS) claimed killing nearly 100 from PKK forces in clashes across its Raqqah Province, which included an immersive suicide operation in its eastern countryside.
- Naba 80 Infographic Tallies Costs of “1000 Days of Crusader Strikes” against IS
In issue 80 of its al-Naba weekly newspaper, the Islamic State (IS) provided an infographic on the financial costs of “Crusader” airstrikes over 1,000 days.