- Jihadi Media Group Gives Bio of Slain French AQ Explosives Expert David Drugeon
The jihadi media group al-Fursan published a biography of David Drugeon (AKA Abu Hamza al-Jaza’iri, Salman al-Faransi), a French al-Qaeda (AQ) explosives expert killed in an airstrike in Aleppo, Syria, in July 2015.
- Pro-AQ Group Specialized in French Translations Established
A pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) media group specialized in French translations of media from AQ and its branches in Mali, North Africa, Somalia, and Yemen announced its establishment.
- Pro-AQ Group Puts Egyptian President on Wanted “Dead or Alive” Poster
The pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) al-Hijrah Media published a poster displaying Egyptian President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi as “wanted dead or alive”.
- Shabaab Deserter Challenges Pro-AQ Group’s Allegations about Former Shabaab Commander Mukhtar Robow
Responding to a statement from a pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) media group accusing Mukhtar Robow Abu Mansour, a former Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement commander, of colluding with the enemy prior to surrendering, a Shabaab deserter challenged its account of events and equated the AQ group to the Islamic State (IS) in terms of extremism.
- Pro-AQ English Group Gives “Exclusive Details” on Former Shabaab Commander Surrendering to Somali Government
Al-Hijrah Media, a pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) English-language group, presented what it described as “exclusive details” on former Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement commander Mukhtar Robow Abu Mansour surrendering to the Somali government.
- Pro-AQ English Media Group Quotes from Jordanian Double Agent in Bulletin Inciting for Jihad Participation
The pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) English media group “Al-Hijrah” published the eighth issue of its bulletin, quoting from Jordanian double agent Humam al-Balawi (AKA Abu Dujana al-Khorasani) inciting for participation in jihad.
- Pro-AQ English Media Group Issues Bulletins 6 and 7, Quotes from Leaders on Pledge to Zawahiri and Sanctity of Muslim Blood
The pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) English media group “Al-Hijrah” published issues six and seven of its bulletin, quoting from AQ leaders on the sanctity of Muslim blood and pledging to Ayman al-Zawahiri.
- AQ Supporters Share English Translation as-Sahab’s Discussion on Armor in Battle
Al-Qaeda (AQ) supporters disseminated an English translation of the discussion on the necessity of fighters wearing armor and other forms of body protection in battle.
- AQ Leader Zawahiri Mourns Slain Official Umar Khalil and Abu Dujana al-Pasha in Audio Speech
Al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Ayman al-Zawahiri mourned slain officials Abu Umar Khalil (AKA Khalil al-Madani) and Abu Dujana al-Pasha (AKA Muhammad Mahmood al-Bahteeti), in an audio speech, and also revealed that Khalid Sheikh Muhammad founded the group’s media wing, as-Sahab.
- NIM Claims Wounding “At Least Four French Soldiers” in Attack on Armored Vehicle in Mali
The Mali-based al-Qaeda branch, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), claimed wounding “at least four French soldiers” in an explosive attack in the Kidal region of Mali.
- Pro-AQ English Media Group Issues Bulletins Quoting from AQ Leaders on al-Aqsa, Trenches
The pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) English media group “Al-Hijrah” published issues four and five of its bulletin, quoting from AQ leaders on supporting al-Aqsa Mosque and Palestine, and the importance of digging trenches.
- Pro-AQ Group Publishes English Bulletins Promoting Shabaab, Inciting Against West
In English bulletins, a pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) group promoted the Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement and incited against the West.
- Al-Qaeda’s Branch in Mali Claims Attacks on Burkinabe and Malian Forces in Border Area, Strike on French Convoy
The Mali-based al-Qaeda branch, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), claimed two attacks in the border area between Burkina Faso and Mali, one striking Burkinabe soldiers and the other Malian, as well as bombing a French military convoy near Kidal.
- Al-Qaeda Central Urges HTS and Ahrar al-Sham Cease Infighting
Al-Qaeda Central (AQC) issued a statement urging Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) and the Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement, two militant factions in Syria, to cease the infighting between them and respect the sanctity of the blood of their brethren.
- Pro-AQ Media Group Claims it “Urgently” Needs Help with Media Work
A pro-al-Qaeda (AQ) media group run by Westerners in Syria reposted a message that it was “urgently” looking for help with media work.
- Shabaab Deserter Discusses Recent Release on Former Leader’s Bio, Says Pledge to AQ was Out of “Convenience”
Abdurrahman bin Abdillah, an individual who deserted the Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement due to what he described as its criminality and oppression, discussed the group’s recent video release on the jihadi biography of its former leader, Mukhtar Abu al-Zubayr, disputing what it presented, and remarked that his pledge to al-Qaeda (AQ) was borne out of “convenience”.
- AQ’s as-Sahab Media Publishes Discussion on Necessity of Armor in Battle
Al-Qaeda’s (AQ) as-Sahab Media Foundation published a discussion on the necessity of fighters wearing armor and other forms of body protection in battle.
- Killed Shariah Official Abu Yahya al-Libi Discusses Importance of Trenches in AQ Video
Al-Qaeda (AQ) released a video of killed Shariah official Abu Yahya al-Libi discussing the tactical and spiritual importance of preparing trenches in combat zones.
- AQAP Publishes Photos of Artillery Strikes on Houthis in al-Bayda’, Claims Mortar Attack on SBF in Ibb
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) published photos of its artillery strikes on Houthi military positions in Yemen’s al-Bayda’ governorate, and claimed a mortar attack on Security Belt Forces (SBF) in Ibb.
- Shabaab Claims Wounding Former Director of Somalia’s Ministry of Information with Bomb in Mogadishu
The Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement, al-Qaeda’s (AQ) branch in Somalia, reported wounding the former Director of the Somalia’s Ministry of Information with an explosive device in the country’s capital, Mogadishu.
- AQ-Focused Telegram Channel Promotes Organization’s “Aims” in English, Requests Help with Media Work
Jihadists have spread a recently created Telegram channel purposed to promote various aspects of al-Qaeda (AQ), including its affiliates, leaders, and organizational “aims.”
- Al-Qaeda’s Mali Affiliate Claims Raid on Malian Barracks in Bintagougou, Attacks in Ménaka
Al-Qaeda’s (AQ) affiliate in Mali, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), claimed a raid on Malian military barracks in Bintagougou, killing and wounding 20 and seizing war spoils, including anti-aircraft weapons, in addition to an attack on MINUSMA forces in Ménaka.
- AQ Leader Zawahiri Promotes Unity of Muslims Against Unified Enemy in Audio Speech
Al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Ayman al-Zawahiri promoted the unity of Muslims regardless of nationality in an audio speech rallying them to oppose a unified enemy.
- Jihadi Network Distributes Unreleased Statement from al-Qaeda Central on Members of AQIS
The al-Fida’ Islamic Network distributed a previously-unreleased statement from al-Qaeda Central (AQC) regarding accusations levied against three members of al-Qaeda in the Indian Subcontinent (AQIS).
- Al-Qaeda’s Mali Affiliate Claims Killing Guinean Forces Participating in MINUSMA in Kidal Attack
The al-Qaeda (AQ) affiliate in Mali, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), claimed killing and wounding an unidentified number of Guinean forces participating in the MINUSMA mission in Kidal.
- Al-Qaeda’s Branch in Mali Releases Video of Storming Malian Army Barracks in Boulikessi, Taking Prisoners
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), al-Qaeda’s (AQ) branch in Mali, released a video of storming Malian army barracks in Boulikessi and taking some soldiers prisoner.
- Al-Qaeda’s Mali Affiliate Releases Video of Storming Malian Army Checkpoint in Ansongo
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), al-Qaeda’s (AQ) branch in Mali, released a video of storming a Malian army checkpoint in Ansongo in Gao region.
- Al-Qaeda’s Mali Affiliate Claims Shelling French Forces at Timbuktu Airport
The al-Qaeda (AQ) affiliate in Mali, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), claimed wounding a number of French troops in a mortar shelling on Timbuktu Airport.
- Al-Qaeda’s Mali Affiliate Denies Kidnapping Red Cross Workers, Stoning Adulterers
The Mali-based affiliate of al-Qaeda, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), denied reports that it kidnapped four Red Cross workers and stoned to death a man and a woman on charges of adultery.
- Shabaab Claims Suicide Bombing in Mogadishu, Targeting Governor’s Convoy in NE Kenya
The Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement, al-Qaeda’s (AQ) branch in Somalia, claimed a suicide operation on Somali forces in Mogadishu and killing seven Kenyan police forces in the country’s Mandera County.
- Al-Qaeda Derides Trump Visit to KSA, Finds “Treachery” of Saudi Royals
Al-Qaeda (AQ) derided the visit of U.S. President Donald Trump to Saudi Arabia and found it to be another example of the Saudi royals’ “treachery,” in the 15th issue of its “al-Nafeer” (Call to Mobilize) bulletin.
- Hamza bin Laden Highlights Historical Saudi Collusion with British in Speech Inciting Regime Overthrow
Hamza bin Laden, a son of former al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Usama bin Laden, highlighted Saudi collusion with the British in the early-20th century in a speech encouraging Muslims in Saudi Arabia to overthrow the royal family.
- AQ-Affiliate in Mali Claims Attack on Timbuktu Airport, Setting it on Fire
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), the Mali-based affiliate of al-Qaeda (AQ), claimed targeting the Timbuktu airport with mortar shells, setting it on fire.
- Hamza bin Laden Gives Advice to Lone Wolf Attackers in the West, Suggests Targets
Hamza bin Laden, a son of former al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Usama bin Laden, provided advice for lone wolf attackers in the West in an audio speech.
- AQ-Affiliate in Mali Claims Attack on French Convoy NW of Tessalit, Mali
The Mali-based affiliate of al-Qaeda, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), claimed destroying and damaging military vehicles in an attack on French forces northwest of Tessalit.
- AQ’s Mali Affiliate Claims Suicide Raid on Malian Forces North of Gao
The Mali-based affiliate of al-Qaeda, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), claimed a suicide raid killing and wounding several Malian forces north of Gao, Mali.
- AQAP Leader Calls for “Eye for an Eye” Lone-Wolf Attacks in Video Speech
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) released a video of its leader, Qasim al-Rimi (AKA Abu Huraira al-Sana'ani), calling for “eye for an eye” lone-wolf attacks in the West as retaliation for “traged[ies] upon Muslims.”
- Shabaab Posts Alleged Identity, Photo of Fallen U.S. Soldier in Somalia
The Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement, al-Qaeda’s (AQ) branch in Somalia, released the alleged identity of the fallen U.S. soldier killed during a “failed landing operation” in Lower Shabelle and supplied a photo.
- Shabaab Releases Photos of Spoils from Fallen U.S. Soldier in Lower Shabelle, Somalia
Following its claim of killing a U.S. soldier in Lower Shabelle, the Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement, al-Qaeda’s (AQ) branch in Somalia, distributed photos from the fallen soldier, showing the attack’s aftermath and the soldier’s uniform and gear.
- AQ’s Mali Affiliate Claims Attack on Timbuktu Airport, Ambush in Nampala Killing, Wounding 20
The Mali-based affiliate of al-Qaeda, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), claimed two attacks targeting MINUSMA forces in Timbuktu and Malian forces in Nampala, killing and wounding several.
- AQ Leader Gives Forward to Republished Message from Sami al-‘Aridi
Al-Qaeda’s (AQ) as-Sahab Media Foundation republished a message from Sami al-‘Aridi, a former top cleric in the Nusra Front, with the addition of an introduction by AQ leader Ayman al-Zawahiri.
- Alleged AQ-Linked Group Claims St. Petersburg Metro Bombing
An alleged al-Qaeda (AQ)-linked group claimed credit for the April 3, 2017, St. Petersburg metro bombing and threatened additional attacks.
- Francophone Jihadist Advises Potential Migrants on Preparations for Journey to Syria
A French-language jihadist addressed potential migrants to Syria, advising on how to prepare for their journey, including to remain discreet, sell items on Ebay, bring a portable charger, and be wary of online recruiters.
- AQ Leader Zawahiri Declares Syrian Jihad an Issue Concerning All Muslims, Calls to Reject Nationalist Sentiment
Al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Ayman al-Zawahiri addressed fighters in Syria, urging them to reject nationalist sentiment and wage a protracted guerrilla war against the Syrian regime, and called on Muslims the world over to support their brethren in the country.
- AQ’s Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen Claims Attack on Malian “Red Beret” Barracks in Central Mali
The Mali-based affiliate of al-Qaeda, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), claimed attacking and then seizing control over barracks of Malian army “Red Berets” south of Timbuktu.
- AQ-Affiliate in Mali Claims Two Attacks on MINUSMA Military Convoy in Kidal
Shortly after claiming three attacks on Chadian and Malian forces, and Malian army-backed Donzo fighters, the al-Qaeda (AQ)-affiliated Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM) took credit for two strikes on MINUSMA forces in Kidal region.
- AQ-Affiliate in Mali Claims Three Attacks in Kidal and Ségou Regions
The al-Qaeda (AQ)-affiliated Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM) claimed three attacks in Mali's Kidal and Ségou regions, targeting Chadian and Malian forces, and Malian army-backed Donzo fighters.
- Jihadists on Social Media Describe MOAB Bombing as a “Joke,” Assign Blame, Incite for Violence in U.S. and Saudi Arabia
Jihadists on social media reacted to America’s dropping of a “Massive Ordnance Air Blast” (MOAB), a 10,300 kg bomb, on what was described as an Islamic State (IS) tunnel complex in Nangarhar, calling it a “joke,” assigning blame, and inciting for revenge attacks in the U.S. and Saudi Arabia.
- Jihadists Respond to News of Burkina Faso-Based Ansaroul Islam Possibly Pledging to IS
After a media report that the Burkina Faso-based jihadi group Ansaroul Islam will possibly pledge to the Islamic State (IS), jihadists, both pro-IS and pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) responded to the news with one seeming to confirm it.
- Al-Qaeda Criticizes U.S. Ambassador to UN Nikki Haley’s “High Heels” Remark, Urges Muslims to Embrace Jihad
Al-Qaeda (AQ) criticized the remark by U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, about kicking with “high heels” all who condemn Israel, and arguing that it demonstrates America’s determination to impose its will, urged Muslims to embrace jihad and confront it.
- Pro-AQ Ideologue Abu Muhammad al-Maqdisi Urges Supporters not Praise U.S. for Syrian Airbase Strike
Amidst ongoing reactions by jihadists to the U.S. missile strike on a Syrian airbase, prominent pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) ideologue Abu Muhammad al-Maqdisi expressed distrust towards America's intentions, and warned supporters not to find good in its actions.
- AQAP-Affiliated Newspaper Interviews Leader of Newly-Formed AQIM Branch in Mali
Al-Masra, a digital newspaper linked to al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), interview the leader of the newly-formed brach of al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) in Mali regarding its establishment, its connection to AQ, and its plans for attacks on regional states.
- AQ’s Nusrat al-Islam was Muslimeen Claims Rocket Attack on French Military Base in Tessalit
The al-Qaeda (AQ)-affiliated Nusrat al-Islam was Muslimeen claimed a rocket attack on a French military base in Tessalit.
- Pro-AQ Analyst Assesses Global Jihadist Movement, Comments on NF-AQ Split
Jihadists disseminated a pro-al-Qaeda (AQ) analyst’s take on the global jihadist movement’s “current situation,” which included an assessment of the Nusra Front’s (NF) split from AQ in 2016.
- Shabaab’s Kenyan Official Praises January Kulbiyow Raid, Threatens Kenyan Government
Ahmad Iman Ali, a Kenyan official in the Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement, delivered a speech praising the outcome of the January 2017 Kulbiyow raid, encouraging fighters to be patient, and warning the Kenyan government that Shabaab fighters do not fear death.
- Al-Qaeda Draws Awareness to Drought in Somalia, Urges Muslims to Provide Support
Al-Qaeda (AQ) drew awareness to the drought in Somalia in the 13th issue of its al-Nafeer bulletin, and urged Muslims to provide support and distinguish their brethren from their foes.
- Al-Qaeda Calls Muslims to Avenge Desecration of Corpses in Benghazi by Haftar Forces
Al-Qaeda (AQ) called on Muslims to take revenge against the “tyrants” supporting Libyan forces loyal to General Khalifa Haftar, due to their desecrating the corpses of slain opponents by parading them through the streets and hanging them on barracks.
- Al-Qaeda Central Gives Approval of Unification of Jihadi Factions in Mali
Al-Qaeda Central (AQC) issued a statement giving its approval and praise of the unification of jihadi factions in Mali under the group Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen.
- Al-Qaeda Incites Muslims to Take Revenge Against America for Aleppo Airstrike
Al-Qaeda (AQ) incited Muslims to take revenge against America for an airstrike in Aleppo, Syria, that allegedly killed dozens.
- Article in AQAP-Affiliated Newspaper Discusses AQ Insistence to Attack U.S.
Al-Masra, a digital newspaper linked to al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), published in its 42nd issue an article discussing al-Qaeda’s (AQ) war with America and the West, wherein the author claimed that it is due to this war that the U.S. and its allies suffer societal division.
- TTP Gives Eulogy for Explosives Expert Involved in Failed May 2010 Times Square Attack
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) gave a eulogy for Aamir Ali Chaudhry (AKA Huzaifa, Arsalan), an explosives expert who both the U.S. and UN sanctioned in 2012 for his role in the group and his association with al-Qaeda (AQ).
- Shabaab Gives Eulogy for Zawahiri’s Deputy in Syria, Threatens Revenge
The Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement, al-Qaeda’s (AQ) branch in Somalia, issued a eulogy for Ayman al-Zawahiri’s deputy in Syria and threatened revenge against America and “countries of disbelief”.
- Al-Qaeda Central Gives Eulogy for Zawahiri's Deputy in Syria, Threatens Revenge
The General Command of al-Qaeda (AQ) issued a eulogy for Abu al-Khayr al-Masri, Ayman al-Zawahiri's deputy in Syria who was killed in a U.S. airstrike in Idlib, and threatened revenge.
- Ansar Dine and AQIM’s Sahara and Murabitoon Branches Announce Merger
Three jihadi factions in Mali, Ansar Dine and the Sahara and Murabitoon branches of al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), announced their merger and their pledge of allegiance to al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri.
- AQAP and AQIM Eulogize Zawahiri Deputy Abu al-Khayr al-Masri
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) and al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) issued a joint statement eulogizing al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri’s deputy in Syria, Ahmed Hassan Abu al-Khayr al-Masri.
- Syria-Focused “Al-Haqiqa” Magazine Compiles Content from from Pro-AQ Media Groups
Jihadists introduced the first issue of “Al-Haqiqa,” a Syria-focused magazine composed of previously released content from pro-al-Qaeda (AQ) media groups.
- GIMF Releases English Translation of al-Qaeda Kidnapping Guide
The Global Islamic Media Front (GIMF) released an English translation of the kidnapping guide authored by al-Qaeda (AQ) official Saif al-'Adl.
- Al-Qaeda Continues to Promote “Blind Sheikh” in Death
In the tenth issue of its “al-Nafeer” (Call to Mobilize) bulletin, Al-Qaeda (AQ) offered another eulogy for “Blind Sheikh” Omar Abdul Rahman, praising him as “engraved in history.”
- Al-Qaeda Central Calls Muslims to Take Revenge Against Americans for Death of Blind Sheikh in Prison
The General Command of al-Qaeda (AQ) called on Muslims to act upon the will of the “Blind Sheikh” Omar Abdul Rahman and avenge his death by killing Americans and attacking American interests.
- Essay Narrates Killed Somali NF Fighter’s Journey from U.S. to Syria
A jihadi media group published a biographical eulogy of “Abu Zubayr Somali,” a Somali Nusra Front (NF) fighter killed in Syria after living in the U.S. for “a number of years.”
- Liwa al-Aqsa Executes over 150 Tahrir al-Sham Members in Khan Shaykhun
Liwa al-Aqsa, an offshoot of Jund al-Aqsa consisting of pro-IS elements which was formed in the northern countryside of Hama, executed over 150 members of rebel factions in Khan Shaykhun.
- Al-Qaeda Says CIA Director Awarding Saudi Crown Prince is Proof of Saudi Loyalty to America
Al-Qaeda pointed to CIA director Mike Pompeo awarding Saudi Crown Prince Muhammad bin Nayef for his work against terrorism as proof of Saudi loyalty to America, and urged Muslims to fight such “apostate regimes”.
- Jihadist Authors Booklet on AQ Leading to Downfall of American Hegemony, Finds Trump Racially Dividing and Isolating U.S.
A jihadist authored a booklet on al-Qaeda (AQ) “draining” America to the point of losing its global hegemony, and remarking that in the current phase, U.S. President Donald Trump is racially dividing the country and isolating it more from its European and Arab allies.
- Al-Qaeda’s as-Sahab Media Publishes Kidnapping Guide
Al-Qaeda’s (AQ) as-Sahab Media Foundation published a guide authored by Saif al-‘Adl on kidnapping. The 39-page document, entitled, “A Lecture on Kidnapping,” was posted on Telegram on February 5, 2017.
- Al-Qaeda Condemns Qifa Massacre, Declares Trump Will Fail to Eradicate Terror
In the seventh issue of its "al-Nafeer" (Call to Mobilize) bulletin, al-Qaeda condemned the recent incident in the Qifa area of Yemen's al-Bayda' governorate in which civilians were killed by U.S. forces, and declared that U.S. President Donald Trump will will fail in his promise to eradicate Islamic terrorism.
- Jihadists Predict Doom for America and Perils for Muslims, Strengthening of Jihad Amidst Trump Presidency
Jihadists, both those in support of al-Qaeda (AQ) and the Islamic State (IS), are predicting doom for the United States and perils for Muslims there and abroad, as well as a strengthening of jihad under the presidency of Donald Trump.
- Al-Qaeda Releases Posthumous Video from Scholar on Women in Jihad
Al-Qaeda’s as-Sahab Media Foundation published a posthumous video of Abu Yahya al-Libi giving advice to Muslim women who come to the battlefield, recommending they serve their husbands and family and keep an Islamic household.
- Jihadists Comment on Trump’s Inauguration, Predict Continued “Crusade” against Islam
Jihadists across Deep Web and social media spaces have reacted to Donald Trump’s January 20, 2017 inauguration as president of the United States.
- Shariah Official in AQIM’s Sahara Division Threatens Attacks in Wake of Gao Operation
In the wake of the suicide bombing claimed by al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) on Malian army and Azawadi militia barracks in Gao, the group’s Sahara division released an audio speech from a Shariah official threatening additional operations.
- Ansaroul Islam Claims Attacking Burkinabe Soldiers in Nassoumbou, Targeting "Hypocrite Collaborators" in Djibo and Sibé
A jihadi group calling itself "Ansaroul Islam" (Ansar al-Islam) claimed the December 16, 2016, attack on a Burkinabe military position in Nassoumbou, and attacking two "hypocrite collaborators" in Djibo and Sibé, all of which are located in northern Burkina Faso.
- AQIM Claims Killing Nearly 80 Malian Soldiers. Militiamen in Suicide Bombing in Gao
Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) claiming killing nearly 80 Malian soldiers and militiamen in a suicide bombing on their barracks executed by a fighter from its al-Murabitoon Battalion.
- Zawahiri Eulogizes Slain AQIM and NF Officials, Continues to Attack IS
Al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Ayman al-Zawahiri gave a eulogy for two slain officials from al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) and the Nusra Front (NF), and continued to attack the Islamic State (IS).
- Issue Four of “Al Risalah” Praises Mevlut Mert Altintas, Comments on Jihad in Nigeria
Pro-al-Qaeda (AQ) fighters in Syria released the fourth issue of “Al Risalah,” an English-language magazine, focusing on various groups and components of the global jihadist movement.
- Zawahiri Rejects IS Accusations, Restates AQ Mission, Calls Attacks on U.S. “Top Priority”
Al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Ayman al-Zawahiri issued a speech reiterating his defense of the accusations from the Islamic State (IS) and its leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, regarding his position on Shi’ites, Muhammad Morsi, and other issues, categorizing attacks on America and its allies as a “top priority,” and restating the mission of AQ.
- Pro-AQ Telegram Channel Urges to be Second “Underwear Bomber,” Distribute AQAP Magazine Using Trending Hashtags on Twitter
A pro-al-Qaeda Telegram channel called on lone wolves in the West to take Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the “Underwear Bomber,” as an example and follow his path, and asked users to distribute AQAP’s Inspire magazine using trending hashtags on Twitter.
- Jihadist Media Groups Comment on AQ’s Presence in Syria, Desires for “a New Group”
Jihadist media groups commented on al-Qaeda’s (AQ) influence in Syria, with one implying the need for a new AQ affiliate and another insisting that the organization “never left” Syria.
- JFS Member Calls “Rumours” of Split within Group “Baseless and Untrue”
A Jabhat Fateh al-Sham (JFS) member disputed “rumours” of a split within the group between “progressives” and al-Qaeda (AQ) supporters.
- Pro-AQ Telegram Channel Releases Audio of “Little Sister” Inviting Malala Yousafzai to Study the “Right Education” in Khorasan
A pro-al-Qaeda (AQ) Telegram channel disseminated an audio message from a “little sister” inviting Pakistani activist and Nobel Prize laureate, Malala Yousafzai, to study the “right education,” and questioning her promotion of a “kuffar [nonbeliever]” one. The 3-minute, 16-second English-language audio message was posted by the “Al-Firdaws” Telegram channel on November 23, 2016. In it, a young girl identified as Hafsa Khorasani addressed Yousafzai, asking how she could promote an education that “producing men and women who are destroying the world.” Instead, Khorasani invited Yousafzai to join her in Khorasan to study the “right education,” stating:
- Al-Qaeda Confirms Killing of Senior Official Farouq al-Qahtani in U.S. Airstrike in Kunar
Al-Qaeda confirmed the killing of senior official Farouq al-Qahtani in a U.S. airstrike in Afghanistan's Kunar province.
- Fighter Alleges Extorting $5000+ from Rwandan Intelligence, C.I.A. in Shabaab Video
The Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement, al-Qaeda's (AQ) branch in Somalia, released a video featuring a fighter who claimed to have extorted money from Rwandan Intelligence and C.I.A. agents by supplying them with intentionally vague information and false promises.
- Jihadi Ideologue Gives Biography for Slain Official in Syria Abu Abdullah al-Muhajir
Jihadi ideologue Hani al-Siba'i gave a biography for Abu Abdullah al-Muhajir (AKA Abu al-Afghan al-Masri), a veteran of the Afghan Jihad who was reportedly killed in a U.S. airstrike in Syria's Idlib governorate.
- Veteran of Afghan Jihad Abu Abdullah al-Muhajir Reportedly Killed in U.S. Airstrike in Idlib,
Jihadists reported that Abu Abdullah al-Muhajir, a veteran of the Afghan Jihad who had appeared in a video recounting his experience meeting Usama bin Laden, was killed in a U.S. airstrike in Syria’s Idlib governorate.
- Jihadi Media Group Gives Biography of Killed AQ Rocket Developer in Afghanistan
Al-Fursan Media Foundation published a biography of Abu Abdul Rahman al-Kuwaiti (Fayez al-Khalidi), an al-Qaeda (AQ) rocket developer in Afghanistan.
- Jihadists Call Trump’s Election Proof of U.S. “War on Islam,” Claim he Will “Sink” Country
Jihadists on social media condemned America’s election of Donald Trump as president.
- Jihadist Releases Compilation of Zawahiri Quotes and 9-11 Note, Offering Spiritual and Methodological Advice for Attacks
In order to “benefit” the fighters of “the current era,” a jihadi supporter released a document compiling quotes of current al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Ayman al-Zawahiri and the majority of the note found in the baggage of 9/11 attacker, Mohamed Atta, in which he offered spiritual and methodological advice.
- IS and AQ Supporters Comment on Mosul Offensive, Share Mutual Concern for Sunni Civilians
Jihadists on social media commented on Iraqi and allied forces’ unfolding offensive for the Islamic State (IS)-held city of Mosul.
- Jihadist Telegram Channels Request Translators for French, Chinese, and Other Languages
Jihadist Telegram channels announced available translator roles for French, Chinese, Russian, Bengali, and other languages.
- JFS Official Mourns Shura Council Leader Killed in U.S. Airstrike, Threatens Revenge
Jabhat Fateh al-Sham (JFS) official Abu Abdullah al-Shami mourned Abu Faraj al-Masri, an Egyptian veteran of jihad and member of its Shura Council, who was killed in a U.S. airstrike in Idlib, and threatened revenge.
- Pro-AQ Media Group: Fighters Leave JFS Because of Salary Issues, Lack of AQ Figures in Leadership
A pro-jihadist Telegram channel listed “reasons why many Mujahideen” leave Jabhat Fateh al-Sham (JFS), claiming issues with salaries and a lack of al-Qaeda (AQ) figures within its leadership.
- Pro-IS Telegram Channel Supplies German Translation of Bomb Manual, Despite Advising to Keep it “Simple”
A pro-Islamic State (IS) German-language Telegram channel supplied a German translation of a previously-released bomb manual, but advised against it, asserting lone-wolf attacks should be kept “simple” like with a knife or a car.