- Jund al-Sham Claims First Attack, Killing a Syrian Officer
The group "Jund al-Sham," which recently announced its presence in Homs, Syria, claimed its first attack in the execution of a Syrian officer in the "gangs of the al-Assad family".
- "Jund al-Sham" Announces Presence in Homs, Syria; Declares Jihad
A group using the name "Jund al-Sham" announced its presence in Homs, Syria, and declared jihad against the Bashar al-Assad regime.
- Al-Nusra Front Denies the Death of Leader, Field Commanders
The al-Nusra Front refuted reports about the killing of its leader, Abu Muhammad al-Julani, and two field commanders, Abu Julaybib and Abu Anas al-Sahaba, and insisted that the three are alive and well.
- Ahrar al-Sham Brigades Announces its Liberating Five Foreign Journalists
The Ahrar al-Sham Brigades, a Syrian militant group, announced its liberating five foreign journalists including NBC News' chief foreign correspondent Richard Engel, who were kidnapped by an armed gang.
- Al-Nusra Front Releases Video on Recent Operations in Aleppo
The al-Nusra Front released a video focusing on its recent operations in the city of Aleppo of northwestern Syria, including the September 2012 suicide bombing at the al-Haya hospital, and the October 2012 suicide raid against four targets in Sa'dullah al-Jabri Square.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Suicide Bombings at Interior Ministry in Damascus (Update)
The al-Nusra Front issued a formal communiqué claiming responsibility for the two suicide bombings and the vehicular bombing at the Syrian Interior Ministry in the capital, Damascus.
- Prominent Jihadist on Western Aims in Syria, Designation of al-Nusra Front
"Asad al-Jihad 2," a prominent member of the jihadist forum community, commented on the US State Department designating the al-Nusra Front as a foreign terrorist organization, and what he believes are the West's aims in Syria.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Suicide Bombings at Interior Ministry in Damascus
The al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for two suicide bombings and two vehicular bombings at the Syrian Interior Ministry in the capital, Damascus.
- Jihadist Factions in Deir al-Zour, Syria, Unite in Mujahideen Shura Council
Ten jihadist factions in Deir al-Zour governorate of eastern Syria, including the al-Nusra Front, allegedly united into a single group called the "Mujahideen Shura Council in Deir al-Zour."
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Suicide Bombing in al-Qusayr, Promises More
The al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for the December 1, 2012, suicide bombing at a barrier in the city of al-Qusayr in Homs governorate of western Syria, and promised more "earth shaking operations".
- Syrian Jihadist Faction Congratulates al-Nusra Front for Terror Designation
The al-Sahaba Army in the Levant, a Syria-based jihadist faction, congratulated the al-Nusra Front for its coming designation by the US State Department as a foreign terrorist organization.
- Al-Nusra Front Reports Joint Raid with Three Groups in Idlib
The al-Nusra Front reported that its fighters participated with three Syrian militant groups in raiding two barriers in Idlib governorate of northwestern Syria, and claimed over twenty attacks against Syrian security forces and pro-regime elements.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Killing 50 in Suicide Bombing Near Nayrab Airport
The al-Nusra Front claimed killing 50 Syrian soldiers in a suicide bombing on December 2, 2012, near Nayrab airport in Aleppo, Syria.
- Ansar al-Islam Claims Suicide Bombing in Iraq-Syria Border Crossing Town
Ansar al-Islam claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing against Shi'ite militia elements in Rabia, an Iraqi border crossing town between Iraq and Syria, and announced that the attack came in support of imprisoned Sunni women in both countries.
- Al-Nusra Front Releases Soldiers Captured from Downed Helicopter
In a statement attributed to the Syria-based al-Nusra Front, the group announced that it released the four soldiers it captured after shooting down a helicopter in the city of al-Bukamal in Deir ez-Zor governorate, claiming that the soldiers "repented".
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Hitting 40 in Suicide Bombing in Damascus
The al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing in Damascus, Syria, at midnight on November 26, 2012, and said that more than 40 enemy targets were gathered at the location.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Four Suicide Bombings, Other Attacks in Deraa
The al-Nusra Front claimed four suicide bombings against Syrian soldiers in Deraa governorate of southern Syria, including a twin attack against an air defense brigade and combined strikes in a "special" operation.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Suicide Bombing at Hospital, Raid with Chechens
The al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing inside a French hospital in Aleppo, Syria, and reported a joint operation with Chechen fighters against a Syrian Air Defense brigade.
- Alleged al-Nusra Front Video Shows Downed Helicopter, Captured Crew
Fighters belonging to the "Umar bin al-Khattab Brigade," an alleged division of the al-Nusra Front, released a video showing their downing a helicopter and capturing six crew members in the city of al-Bukamal in Deir ez-Zor governorate of Syria.
- Al-Nusra Front Advises Civilians Keep Away from Military, Other Targets
A jihadist distributed a copy of a flyer attributed to the Syria-based al-Nusra Front warning civilians to keep away from military and security patrols and quarters, and declaring its intention to strike whoever "takes part in harassing Muslims from earning their livelihood".
- Syrian Militants in Aleppo Reject Opposition Council, Declare Islamic State
Representatives of at least fourteen Syrian militant groups in Aleppo, including the al-Nusra Front, rejected the newly formed opposition council and declared an "Islamic State" in its stead that will reject any "foreign project".
- IEC Leader Doku Umarov Addresses Syrian Fighters about Jihad
Doku Umarov AKA Abu Uthman, the leader of the Islamic Emirate of the Caucasus, addressed a video message to the fighters in Syria, urging that they do jihad to remove Bashar al-Assad and more importantly, implement Shariah-based governance.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Suicide Bombings, Joint Attacks with Fellow Militants
The al-Nusra Front claimed joint operations with two fellow militant groups in Syria, Ahrar al-Sham Brigades and Suqur al-Sham, including a raid on ICARDA checkpoint on the Aleppo-Damascus road in which a MiG plane was shot down.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Killing 200 in Hama Suicide Bombing, Other Attacks
The al-Nusra Front claimed killing at least 200 Syrian security elements in a suicide bombing at a rural development center in Sahl al-Ghab in Hama, Syria, and reported seventeen other attacks by its fighters in Damascus and Idlib governorates.
- Jihadist Network Gives Pictures from an al-Nusra Front Training Camp
An administrator for the Shumukh al-Islam Network posted a series of twelve "exclusive" pictures from the al-Fateh training camp of the Syria-based al-Nusra Front, showing fighters performing exercises with guns, and children brandishing rifles.
- Al-Nusra Front Reports Participation in Ma’arat al-Nu’man Battle, Attacks
The al-Nusra Front reported on its participation in the Battle of Ma'arat al-Nu'man in Idlib governorate of Syria, which began on October 8, 2012, and involved not only its fighters, but fighters from the Free Syrian Army against Syrian forces.
- Al-Nusra Front Denies Role in Damascus Car Bombing
The al-Nusra Front denied having any connection to the deadly car bombing that occurred in the Daf al-Shawk district of Damascus, Syria, on October 26, 2012, and charged the Syrian government with responsibility.
- Al-Nusra Front Rejects UN-Arab League Envoy's Eid al-Adha Truce
The al-Nusra Front rejected the ceasefire proposed by UN-Arab League special representative Lakhdar Brahimi for the Syrian government and rebel groups during the Eid al-Adha (Festival of Sacrifice) holiday, explaining that the Bashar al-Assad regime cannot be trusted.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Command, Participation in Raid at Rocket Base
The al-Nusra Front reported that it planned and participated in the large-scale raid at the rocket defense base in Aleppo, Syria, on October 12, 2012, and also led Chechen fighters and members of the al-Fajr Movement in the attack.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims 4 Suicide Bombings, 19 Other Operations
The al-Nusra Front claimed killing at least 80 Syrian soldiers in four suicide bombings in Deir al-Zour, Hasaka and Idlib governorates of Syria, and reported an additional 19 operations involving ambushes and explosives.
- Al-Nusra Front Releases Video of 9/26 Raid at Military HQ
The al-Nusra Front released a video focusing on its September 26, 2012, raid at a military headquarters in Ummayad Square in Damascus, Syria.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Air Force Compound Attack in 100th Communiqué
In its 100th communiqué, the Syria-based al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for the October 8, 2012, bombings at the Air Force Intelligence compound in Harasta, Damascus.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Raid on Nayrab Airport, Other Attacks in Aleppo
The al-Nusra Front claimed 10 attacks in the Syrian city of Aleppo, including a major strike on Nayrab Airport with artillery and mortar cannons.
- Jihadists Announce Killing of Tunisian Forum Member in Syria
A Facebook-based jihadist media group, al-Taliya' al-Islamiyya (Islamic Vanguard), announced that four fighters in the al-Nusra Front were killed in a clash in Idlib, Syria, one of whom is Tunisian. The announcement came in a message posted on its Facebook page and distributed on jihadist forums on October 1, 2012.
- Al-Nusra Front Executes 20 Syrian Soldiers, Claims 15 Other Operations
The al-Nusra Front released two pictures of a fighter executing twenty Syrian soldiers in a scene reminiscent of the Islamic State of Iraq's (ISI) videos, and claimed fifteen other operations in the Syrian cities of Aleppo and Damascus.
- Al-Nusra Front Releases Video of Five Captive Yemeni Officers
The al-Nusra Front released a video showing its interrogation of five Yemeni officers it captured in northern Syria. The 4 minute, 6 second video is produced by the group's media arm, al-Manara al-Baydha' Foundation, and was posted on jihadist forums on September 30, 2012.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Attacks Scientific Research Center, Security Sites
The al-Nusra Front claimed 13 attacks in the cities of Aleppo and Damascus in Syria, including a large-scale raid on the scientific research center in al-Mansoura on September 16, 2012, and multiple security buildings in East Ghouta on September 24.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Double Bombing, Raid at Military HQ
The al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for the double bombing and raid at a military headquarters in Ummayad Square in Damascus, Syria, on September 26, 2012.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims 48-Hour Clash, Two Suicide Bombings
The Syria-based al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for 38 attacks, including a 48-hour clash with Syrian forces at the Hanano barracks in Aleppo, and two suicide bombings, one of which hit a hospital, and the other a school.
- Al-Nusra Front Releases Video of Remote-Control Car Bombing in Hama
The al-Nusra Front released a video showing its detonation of a remote-control explosives-laden vehicle in Hama governorate of western Syria, which it claimed killed more than 162 Syrian soldiers and "thugs".
- Al-Nusra Front Claims 35 Attacks Including Two Suicide Bombings
The al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for 35 attacks in the past two months in Syria, including two suicide bombings in Deir al-Zour.
- Ansar al-Islam Gives Condolences to Fatah al-Islam for Leader's Death
The leadership of the Iraq-based Ansar al-Islam offered its condolences to Fatah al-Islam for the killing of its leader in Syria, Abu Hussam al-Shami AKA Abdul Aziz al-Kourkli.
- Jihadist Forum Releases Second Compilation of Advice from Zawahiri
A jihadist forum released its second compilation of advice from al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri, and focused on those excerpts calling to Muslims in Turkey to support their brethren in Syria.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Suicide Bombing at Barrier in Hama
The al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing at the Ibn Wardan barrier in Hama governorate of Syria.
- Fatah al-Islam Announces Death of al-Khilafah Brigades Leader
Fatah al-Islam announced that the leader of its branch in Syria, the al-Khilafah Brigades, was killed during a clash with Syrian forces on the road from Damascus to Deraa.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Suicide Bombing in Hama, Over 30 Attacks
The al-Nusra Front reported that one of its suicide bombers hit a headquarters containing 500 Syrian security elements in the city of Hama in west-central Syria, and claimed over 30 attacks in Aleppo, Damascus and Idlib.
- AQIM Leader Slams Algerian Government's Treatment of Syrian Refugees
Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) released an audio speech from its leader, Abu Musab Abdul Wadud, condemning the Algerian government for its alleged maltreatment of Syrian refugees, and apologizing on behalf of Algerians.
- Al-Nusra Front Video Focuses on April-June 2012 Attacks (Part 2)
The Syria-based al-Nusra Front released a two-part video showcasing its attacks in April-June, 2012, including suicide bombings and strikes with remote-controlled explosives-laden vehicles.
- Al-Nusra Front Video Focuses on April-June 2012 Attacks (Part 1)
The Syria-based al-Nusra Front released a two-part video showcasing its attacks in April-June, 2012, including suicide bombings and strikes with remote-controlled explosives-laden vehicles.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Killing Hundreds in Six Bombings
The al-Nusra Front claimed killing hundreds of Syrian security elements in six bombings, four of which involved suicide bombers, in Hama and Idlib governorates of Syria.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Kidnapping and Killing Journalist, Other Attacks
The Syria-based al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for the kidnapping and killing of Ali Abbas, the head of the Internal News Department at the Syrian Arab News Agency, and reported several attacks carried out by its fighters in Damascus.
- Al-Qaeda Security Expert Incites for Violence against Alawites
The Ansar al-Mujahideen Network published an article by Abu Obeida Abdullah al-'Adam inciting for violence against Alawites, a Shi'ite sect in Syria, for what is being committed against Sunnis by the Bashar al-Assad regime.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Killing of Syrian TV Presenter, Raid on Police Station
The Syria-based al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for the kidnapping and subsequent execution of a Syrian television presenter, Muhammad al-Saeed, and reported several attacks carried out by its fighters in Damascus.
- Syrian Militant Group Releases Compilation Video of Attacks
The Ahrar al-Sham Brigades, a Syrian militant group, released a compilation video of attacks by its fighters against Syrian forces in Aleppo and Idlib governorates.
- Jihadist Incites for Participation in Jihad in Syria
Amidst reports in recent weeks of foreign fighters participating in the Syrian uprising and receiving "martyrdom," a jihadist incited members of the forum community to take advantage of a "historic opportunity" and do jihad in Syria.
- Sinam al-Islam Network Clarifies Situation with Fatah al-Islam
The Shura Council of the Sinam al-Islam Network clarified its situation with the al-Khilafah Brigades of Fatah al-Islam in Syria, after a representative of the group posted on another forum that the network is unauthorized to release its material.
- Fatah al-Islam Leader Incites for Jihad in Syria
Abu Hussam al-Shami, the leader of the al-Khilafah Brigades of Fatah al-Islam in Syria, incited Muslims to do jihad against the Bashar al-Assad regime in an audio speech, and pledged to defend the people and fight.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Attacks, Killing Enemy Elements in Damascus
The al-Nusra Front claimed attacks in the Syrian capital, Damascus, striking security forces and two elements involved with Syrian criminal investigations and prisons.
- Fatah al-Islam Gives Eulogy for Military Official Killed in Syria
The al-Khilafah Brigades of Fatah al-Islam gave a eulogy for its military official, who was killed during clashes with Syrian forces in Aleppo, Syria.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Raid at Air Defense HQ, Attacks in Aleppo, Idlib
The al-Nusra Front claimed killing at least 36 Syrian soldiers during a raid at an Air Defense headquarters in the city of Qamishli in northeastern Syria, and claimed several attacks in areas of Aleppo and Idlib.
- Army of Islam Eulogizes Member Killed in Syria
The Gaza-based Army of Islam gave a eulogy for a member of its group who was killed Syria.
- Fatah al-Islam Claims Ambush Killing more than 30 Syrians Soldiers
The al-Khilafah Brigades of Fatah al-Islam claimed responsibility for ambushing Syrian soldiers in a town in Aleppo and allegedly killing more than 30 and capturing three.
- Jihadist Reports Death of Forum Member in Suicide Attack
A jihadist reported that a forum member carried out a suicide attack in Syria, and posted pictures of a ceremony held by his family for his "martyrdom."
- Fatah al-Islam Claims Bombing Syrian Troop Carrier in Aleppo
In its first claim for an attack in over four years, Fatah al-Islam claimed responsibility for bombing a Syrian troop carrier in a town outside Aleppo, Syria.
- Liwa' al-Islam Issues Statement Detailing Syrian National Security HQ Attack
The Syria-based Liwa' al-Islam [Brigade of Islam], which had earlier claimed responsibility for the bombing inside the Syrian national security headquarters in the capital, Damascus, issued a statement from its leadership giving details about the operation.
- Two Militant Groups Claim Syrian National Security HQ Attack
Two Syrian militant groups claimed the July 18, 2012, bombing inside the Syrian national security headquarters in Damascus that killed government officials including Defense Minister General Dawoud Rajiha and his deputy, Assef Shawkat.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Assassinations, Bombings in Aleppo and Damascus
The al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for a series of assassinations and bombings that targeted Syrian security forces and "shabih," pro-Bashar al-Assad thugs, in Aleppo and Damascus.
- Jihadists Report on Death of Egyptian Fighter in Syria
Jihadists reported that an Egyptian fighter who participated in the Libyan revolution was killed in Syria.
- Syrian Militant Group Announces Death of Jihadi Ideologue's Nephew
The Ahrar al-Sham (Liberation of Syria) Brigades, a Syrian militant group, announced that the nephew of jihadi ideologue Abu Baseer al-Tartusi was killed during a clash in Idlib.
- Al-Nusra Front Denies Connection to Alleged Would-Be Mosque Bomber
The Syria-based al-Nusra Front denied any connection to an arrested youth who confessed that he belonged to the group and he planned to carry out a suicide bombing in the al-Rifai mosque in the capital, Damascus.
- Leader of the Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Champions Syrian Revolution
Majid bin Muhammad al-Majid, the leader of the Brigades of Abdullah Azzam, championed the Syrian revolution in an audio speech, and portrayed the Syrians' fight against the Bashar al-Assad regime as a model for other Muslim peoples.
- Syria-Based Jihadi Research Center Analyzes Blasts at Intel Compound
The Syria-based Lewa' al-Sham Center for Media, Research and Documentation published an analysis of the twin suicide bombings that struck a military intelligence compound in the capital, Damascus, on May 10, 2012.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Suicide Bombing, Several Attacks in Syria
The al-Nusra Front released seven communiqués on jihadist forums on June 12, 2012, claiming several attacks in Damascus, Hama, Idlib, and other areas in Syria in response to its leader's call for revenge for the May 25th massacre in al-Houla.
- Libi Speaks on the Plight of Syrians in New Video
Al-Qaeda official Abu Yahya al-Libi spoke on the plight of Syrians in a new video speech released on jihadist forums on June 12, 2012.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Dozens of Attacks in Aleppo, Dara’a
The al-Nusra Front claimed 38 attacks in Aleppo and Daraa, Syria, against Syrian security forces and elements it identified as “thugs,” including ambushes, assassinations, and bombings.
- Purported Audio from Guantanamo Detainee Fayiz al-Kandari to Syrians
A purported audio message from Guantanamo detainee Fayiz al-Kandari to Syrians was uploaded on YouTube on June 4, 2012, and distributed on jihadist forums.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Execution of 13 Enemy Elements in Deir al-Zor
The al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for the execution of 13 elements of Syrian security agencies and "thugs" in Deir al-Zor of eastern Syria.
- Al-Nusra Front Leader Incites for Revenge for al-Houla Massacre
Al-Nusra Front leader Abu Muhammad al-Julani called upon his group's fighters and the "people of jihad" in the Levant to avenge the victims of the massacre in al-Houla.
- Al-Nusra Front Video Focuses on 3/17 Damascus Bombings, Shows Training
The Syria-based al-Nusra Front released a video showing the executors of the March 17, 2012, suicide bombings in Damascus, as well as scenes of other attacks and training footage.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Deir al-Zor Suicide Bombing
The al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for the May 19, 2012, suicide bombing in Deir al-Zor, Syria, at a parking lot close to the military intelligence directorate and air force intelligence.
- Al-Nusra Front Refutes Video Claiming 5/10 Damascus Bombings
The al-Nusra Front denied the authenticity of a video attributed to it that claimed the twin car bombings in the Syrian capital, Damascus, on May 10, 2012, that killed 55 people.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims May 5 Twin Bombing in Central Damascus
The al-Nusra Front claiming responsibility for the May 5, 2012, twin bombing on a central Damascus highway.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims 9 Attacks in Syrian Capital
The al-Nusra Front claimed nine attacks involving explosive devices in the Syrian capital, Damascus, between April 20 and May 3, 2012.
- Al-Nusra Front Criticizes Kofi Annan's Truce for Syria
The al-Nusra Front, a Syria-based militant group, criticized the truce arranged by international envoy Kofi Annan to stop the bloodshed in Syria, calling it a "trick" to demoralize protestors and end the revolution.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Suicide Bombing as Revenge for Latamnah Massacre
The al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing near the Syrian city of Hama that targeted members of the military regiment that reportedly massacred protestors in the town of Latamnah.
- Al-Masada Media Publishes Fourth Episode in Biography of Martyrs Series
Al-Masada Media Foundation, a jihadist media group affiliated with the Shumukh al-Islam forum, published a biography of a fighter named Darwish Khinjar as the fourth episode in their "Biographies of the Martyrs in the Levant" series.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Bombing at Iranian Cultural Consulate
The al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for an April 24, 2012 bombing at the Iranian Cultural Consulate in the al-Marajah Square in Damascus, Syria.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Midan Suicide Bombing
The al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for the April 27, 2012, suicide bombing in the Midan neighborhood of the Syrian capital, Damascus.
- Al-Nusra Front Video Focuses on 2/12 Suicide Bombings in Aleppo
The al-Nusra Front, which previously claimed the February 10, 2012, twin suicide bombings in Aleppo, Syria, released a video focusing on the operation and featuring the bombers involved.
- Al-Nusra Front Incites Syrians for Jihad Against Syrian Regime
The al-Nusra Front's media arm, al-Manara al-Baydha' Foundation, released a video inciting Syrians for jihad against the Syrian regime.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Coordinated Bombings in Damascus
The al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for the March 17, 2012, bombings in the Syrian capital, Damascus, that struck the Air Force intelligence and Criminal Security department, killing at least 27 people.
- Al-Nusra Front Releases Video on Suicide Bombing in Syria, Activities
The al-Nusra Front to Protect the Levant, a jihadist group which earlier had declared its presence in Syria, released a video documenting some of its activities, including the execution of a suicide bombing in Damascus.
- About SITE
Executive Director of the SITE Intelligence Group
Rita Katz is the Executive Director and founder of the SITE Intelligence Group, the world’s leading non-governmental counterterrorism organization specializing in tracking and analyzing online activity of the global extremist community. Ms. Katz has tracked and analyzed global terrorist and jihadi networks for over two decades, and is well-recognized as one of the most knowledgeable and reliable experts in the field.
Ms. Katz has infiltrated terrorist fronts undercover, testified before Congress and in terrorism trials, and briefed officials at the White House and the Departments of Justice, Treasury, and Homeland Security. Her investigations and testimony have driven action by several governments against terror-linked organizations and individuals. She has provided counterterrorism training sessions to military leadership, intelligence analysts and law enforcement agents from numerous government agencies in the U.S. and abroad. She has led numerous workshops for non-governmental organizations and academic audiences.
For her unique contributions to FBI counterterrorism investigations, Ms. Katz received special recognition from FBI Director Robert Mueller for her "outstanding assistance to the FBI in connection with its investigative efforts."
Outlets to profile Ms. Katz have included the New Yorker, the New York Times, and 60 Minutes. Her commentary on the recruitment, financing, and operations of terrorist organizations regularly appears in leading media outlets such as The New York Times. Reuters, CNN, and The Huffington Post. She is also a regular contributor to The Washington Post, VICE News, The International Business Time, and other publications.
Born in Iraq and a graduate of Middle Eastern Studies at Tel Aviv University, Ms. Katz is fluent in Arabic.
The multi-lingual staff at SITE has years of experience in the research and analysis of terrorist networks, including monitoring jihadist propaganda, studying trends within the online jihadist community, and understanding how jihadist groups utilize the Internet.
SENIOR ADVISERSBruce Hoffman
Professor Bruce Hoffman has been studying terrorism and insurgency for more than thirty years. He is currently a tenured professor in the Security Studies Program at Georgetown University's Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Washington, DC. Professor Hoffman previously held the Corporate Chair in Counterterrorism and Counterinsurgency at the RAND Corporation and was also Director of RAND's Washington, DC Office. A revised and updated edition of his acclaimed 1998 book, Inside Terrorism, was published in May 2006.Rohan Gunaratna
Rohan Gunaratna is Head of the International Centre for Political Violence and Terrorism Research, Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies in Singapore. He holds a masters degree in international peace studies from Notre Dame, US, where he was Hesburgh Scholar and a doctorate in international relations from St. Andrews, where he was British Chevening Scholar. He is the author of 12 books including Inside Al Qaeda: Global Network of Terror, published by Columbia University Press, an international bestseller.
SITE Intelligence Group is committed to eradicating all forms of violent extremism and terrorism. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination against any religion, nationality, race, or language, and we strongly feel that such discrimination only exacerbates a cycle of radicalization and violence.
- IS al-Bayan Provincial News Recaps for June 28, 2016
The Islamic State (IS) released the June 28, 2016 English edition of its al-Bayan provincial news bulletin, which included recaps of operations in Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Libya, and Egypt.