- Hezbollah Says US will be “Held Responsible” for Any Deaths from IS Members’ Disrupted Travel from Syrian Border
Hezbollah released a statement commenting on the U.S. government’s halting of Islamic State (IS) members’ transport from the Syria-Lebanon border, calling for the international community “to prevent the occurrence of a horrible massacre.”
- IS Supporters Express Disbelief, Justification of Group’s Deal for Safe Transfer from Lebanese Border Region
Following a reported deal for the evacuation of Islamic State (IS) fighters from the Syrian-Lebanese border, IS supporters responded with a mix of denial and attempted justification.
- IS Claims Killing Nearly 100 Lebanese Soldiers, Hezbollah Fighters Amidst Ongoing Clashes in Western Qalamoun
The Islamic State’s (IS) Damascus Province in Syria claimed killing nearly 100 Lebanese soldiers and Hezbollah fighters amidst clashes in western Qalamoun.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Incites Against Lebanese Army over Arsal Refugee Camp Raids
After nine months of inactivity, the Lebanon-based Brigades of Abdullah Azzam resumed issuing propaganda, publishing a statement inciting Sunnis in the country against the Lebanese army over its raids on Syrian refugee camps in Arsal.
- IS Photos Show Mortar Strike on Lebanese Army in Qaa Barrens
Damascus Province of the Islamic State (IS) in Syria published a photo report on fighters firing mortar shells at Lebanese military positions in the Qaa barrens in northeastern Lebanon.
- French-Language Jihadi Chat Users Suggest Migration to Syria Via Jordan
Users on a Telegram French-language jihadist chat group discussed potential migration routes to Raqqa, Syria, suggesting traveling via Jordan.
- JFS Officials Inspire Steadfastness Among Rebels In Video
A Jabhat Fateh al-Sham (JFS) video focused on significance of patience, unity, and resilience during jihad, and compared past and current battles to inspire and encourage steadfastness among the rebel fighters to achieve victory.
- Alleged Group "Battalions of Sheikh Ahmed al-Assir" Threatens to Shoot Down Iranian Military Planes in Video
An alleged Lebanon-based group calling itself the "Battalions of Sheikh Ahmed al-Assir" threatened Hezbollah and Iran in a video, and declared that it will target every Iranian plane carrying military gear.
- IS al-Bayan Provincial News Recaps for February 4, 2016
The Islamic State (IS) released the February 4, 2016 English edition of its al-Bayan provincial news bulletin, which included recaps of an assault on “Awakenings” and Iraqi military forces in Iraq, an assault on Egyptian military forces in IS’ Sinai province, and the downing of a Lebanese military plane in IS’ Damascus Province.
- IS Claims Downing French Winged Rocket in Aleppo, Shows Wreckage
Aleppo Province of the Islamic State (IS) in Aleppo claimed that it shot down a French winged rocket with anti-aircraft weapons in Manbij, and published photos of the wreckage.
- Nusra Front Lists Male, Female Prisoners Swapped for Lebanese Soldiers, Including Baghdadi Ex-Wife
The Qalamoun correspondent of the Nusra Front, al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria, issued a statement identifying the men and women for whom it was able to swap the Lebanese security officers it held hostage for over a year.
- Non-IS Jihadists Praise Release of Baghdadi’s Ex-Wife, Condemn IS
Jihadists on social media responded to the December 1, 2015 release of Saja Dulaimi, the alleged ex-wife of Islamic State (IS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in a prisoner swap between the Nusra Front (NF) and the Lebanese army.
Multiple accounts posted related media reports with pictures of Dulaimi and her two children, the older of which allegedly being Baghdadi’s:
Reports state that since divorcing Baghdadi, Dulaimi has been married to two individuals within NF. Her brother is also an alleged member of NF.
Reactions to the prisoner swap varied between celebration and condemnation of IS. “Dread Muslim,” a pro-NF jihadi fighter in Syria, posted a series of tweets rejoicing in the release, identifying Dulami in a positive light as “our sister the EX wife of Bgdadi”:
JN frees sisters one among them our sister the EX wife of Bgdadi
May Allah bless them and grant them firdous
Dread Muslim continued with an additional reference to NF-allied group Jund al-Aqsa’s recent release of six female prisoners from regime forces:
So called terrorists are freeing women from prison.. JN [NF] and Jund Al-Aqsa now.. Alhamdulillah [Praise be to Allah]..
Similarly, NF supporter “Mutafa’il” stated similarly:
Alhamdulillah jabhat al-Nusra, has done it once again by freeing women and children from the prison of the tawagheet
Pro-NF jihadi analyst “Al khaldi”—corresponding to past accounts under the name “Abu Sumaya al-Khalidi”—stated of the trade:
The sights of JN freeing the prisoners is amazing, they picked them up with their weapons&Banner of Nusra,even if the Lebanese army hates it
Contrastingly, “Sabiq Jihadmal,” an alleged fighter for the Afghan Taliban, used the event as a prompt to criticize IS:
Those who cannot release the wife of their Caliph, then what will they present of services for the Islamic Ummah [nation]? Allah the Almighty will disappoint those Khawarij [IS] renegades], clearer than this in front of the Muslims.
- NF Commander Condones IS Attacks in Beirut, Remains Critical of IS
Abu Mariya al-Qahtani, a prominent jihadi cleric and former Shariah official in the Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria, condoned the Islamic State’s (IS) November 12, 2015 attack in Beirut.
A translation of a series of Arabic tweets made by Abu Mariya were provided in a TwitLonger message by the Twitter account of DMIS, pertaining to Dutch jihadi fighters in Syria, on November 16, 2015. In the document, Abu Mariya was quoted as stating of IS and its fight against Hezbollah:
We do not declare our innocence towards Allah from every action ISIS conducts, their fight against the Rawafid [Shi’ites] who wage war against the Muslims is something we are happy about. And their fight against Hizbu Shaytaan [Party of Satan; referring to Hezbollah] is something good. But they will remain Khawarij [renegades] to us.
ISIS conducts criminal acts which we reject, but they do have some deeds against the enemies of the religion, especially the Rawafid, which we are happy about. But the Khawarij will remain Khawarij.
Abu Mariya also appeared to comment on the Paris attacks, stating that the group was still an enemy to Syria’s jihadist movement:
If ISIS killed one hundred Frenchman then they have killed from Jabhat Nusra and the rest of the factions thousands of Mujahideen. ISIS are a riding mount and an instrument in the hands of the West. The extremists are a riding mount of the tyrants.
- IS Claims Motorcycle Blast, Suicide Bombing in Lebanese Capital
The Islamic State (IS) claimed credit for the deadly attack in the southern suburb of the Lebanese capital, Beirut, what it called the “stronghold” of Hezbollah, involving an explosives-laden motorcycle and a suicide bomber.
- “Sunni Resistance Committees in Lebanon” Remarks on Reported Kidnapping in Hezbollah-Held Area, Urges Sunnis to Act
The “Sunni Resistance Committees in Lebanon,” which had previously claimed a bombing and a rocket attack on Hezbollah in Arsal and Chtaura, highlighted the reported kidnapping of a young woman in a Hezbollah-controlled area to incite Sunnis to confront the Shi’ite group.
- “Sunni Resistance Committees in Lebanon” Explains its Ideological Method
The “Sunni Resistance Committees in Lebanon,” which recently claimed a bombing and a rocket attack on Hezbollah in Arsal and Chtaura, released a statement explaining its ideological method and declaring its aim to fight the “malignant Safavids party” in the country.
- “Sunni Resistance Committees in Lebanon” Claims Attacks on Hezbollah, Incites for Protests, Stabbings
A group calling itself the “Sunni Resistance Committees in Lebanon” claimed two attacks on Hezbollah and incited Lebanese Sunnis to resist the Shi’ite organization with a combination of protests, firebombing, and stabbings.
- IS Attacks on Lebanese Army Shown in Photo Report
The Damascus provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) in Syria released a photo report showing attacks on Lebanese military forces on the outskirts of al-Qaa.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Official Remarks on Scenes of Abuse in Roumieh Prison, Calls for Lone Wolf Attacks
Remarking on the recently-surfaced video clips and photos of guards abusing inmates in Roumieh prison in Lebanon, Brigades of Abdullah Azzam official Sirajuddin Zurayqat called it a “drop in the sea of torture” that Sunnis experience in the country, and called for a Sunni uprising and lone wolf attacks.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Gives Eulogy for AQAP’s Ibrahim al-Rubeish
The Lebanon-based Brigades of Abdullah Azzam gave a eulogy for Ibrahim al-Rubeish, a former Guantanamo detainee and high-ranking official in al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) who was killed in a U.S. drone strike in Yemen.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Official Asserts Group is not Part of al-Qaeda, Comments on Activity in Syria
Sirajuddin Zurayqat, an official in the Brigades of Abdullah Azzam, asserted that the group does not belong to al-Qaeda, and that while it is active in Syria, it works within other factions does not independently claim credit for attacks.
- Nusra Front in Qalamoun Denies There Being Negotiations with the Lebanese Government for Captive Soldiers
The al-Qalamoun division of the Nusra Front, al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria, declared that there have not been negotiations with the Lebanese government for the past four months concerning captive soldiers.
- IS Publishes Three-Part Photo Report on Suicide Bombings, Attacks on Yabani Bridge in Anbar
The Anbar provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) in Iraq published a three-part photo report on the recent suicide bombings and attacks on the Yabani Bridge.
- IS Claims Suicide Operation Involving Lebanese, Saudi, and Uzbek Fighters on Yabani Bridge in Anbar
The Anbar provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) in Iraq claimed suicide operation involving Lebanese, Saudi, and Uzbek fighters on the Yabani Bridge, finishing off the operation it launched on the target two days prior.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Official Urges Fighters to Focus on Jihad, Not Group Affiliation
Sirajuddin Zurayqat, an official in the Lebanon-based Brigades of Abdullah Azzam, urged fighters to focus on jihad rather than group affiliation, explaining that groups are but a means to an end and not the end in itself.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Official Mourns Death of AQAP Senior Cleric Harith al-Nadhari
Sirajuddin Zurayqat, an official in the Lebanon-based Brigades of Abdullah Azzam, offered brief words of mourning for the death of a senior cleric in al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.
- Al-Nusra Front Issues Statement on Suicide Bombings at Tripoli Cafe
The Qalamoun division of al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria, the al-Nusra Front, issued a statement on the double suicide bombing at a café in Tripoli, Lebanon, for which it claimed credit on January 10, 2015.
- Al-Nusra Front Claims Double Suicide Bombing at Tripoli Cafe
The Qalamoun division of al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria, the al-Nusra Front, claimed credit for the double suicide bombing at a café in the Jabal Mohsen neighborhood of Tripoli, Lebanon.
- Al-Nusra Front Announces it Executed Captive Lebanese Soldier Ali Bazaal
After weeks of threats, the al-Qalamoun division of al-Qaeda's branch in Syria, the al-Nusra Front, announced that it has executed captive Lebanese soldier Ali Bazaal, and gave a picture of his being shot.
- Al-Nusra Front Threatens Lebanese Government for Arresting Female Relatives of Fighters
The al-Qalamoun division of al-Qaeda's branch in Syria, the al-Nusra Front, threatened the Lebanese government for arresting female relatives of fighters, including Saja Abdul Hamid al-Dulaimi.
- Al-Nusra Front Postpones Execution of Captive Lebanese Soldier
After threatening to execute one of the Lebanese soldiers it holds captive, the al-Qalamoun division of al-Qaeda's branch in Syria, the al-Nusra Front, announced that it would postpone the act, after receiving pledges from the Lebanese government to pursue negotiations.
- IS Recruiter Claims Lebanese, Indian, Kenyan Fighters among Ranks
An alleged British fighter and recruiter with the Islamic State (IS) answered questions on Ask.fm regarding different the nationalities of fighters with IS.
- Al-Nusra Front Threatens to Execute Lebanese Soldier if Woman not Released
The al-Qalamoun division of al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria, the al-Nusra Front, claimed that Hezbollah is obstructing its hostage negotiations with the Lebanese government, and threatened that it would execute the Lebanese solider Ali Bazaal if the Lebanese government does not release a Muslim woman from prison.
- Lebanese Soldiers Held by al-Nusra Front Call on Colleagues to Defect, Families to Protest
Al-Murabitun, a media affiliate of al-Qaeda's branch in Syria, the al-Nusra Front, released a video of Lebanese soldiers held by the group calling on their colleagues to defect and their families to protest the army and Hezbollah.
- Al-Nusra Front Member Explains Reasons For Defection from Lebanese Army, Urges Others to Join
The al-Nusra Front (NF), the al-Qaeda branch in Syria, published a video featuring a member of the group, Abdullah Shehaadeh, an alleged ex-corporal in the Lebanese Army, urging Muslims to leave the Lebanese Army and join NF.
- Al-Nusra Front Announces its Agreeing to Halt Execution of Captive Lebanese Soldier
The al-Qalamoun provincial division of al-Qaeda's branch in Syria, the al-Nusra Front, announced that it has agreed to halt the execution of captive Lebanese soldier Ali Bazaal now that clashes have ended in Tripoli.
- Al-Nusra Front Threatens to Execute Captive Lebanese Soldiers if Army Escalates Action Against Sunnis in Tripoli
The al-Qalamoun provincial division of al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria, the al-Nusra Front, threatened to execute its captive Lebanese soldiers if the Lebanese army escalates military action against Sunnis in Tripoli.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Official Claims Discrimination Against Sunnis in Lebanese Army
Sirajuddin Zurayqat, an official in the Lebanon-based Brigades of Abdullah Azzam, claimed that Sunni soldiers in the Lebanese army are discriminated against and that they are being expelled for fear of their connection to fighters and the possibility they might defect.
- Lebanese Soldier Explains Reasons for Defection to al-Nusra Front in Video
The al-Qalamoun division of al-Qaeda's branch in Syria, the al-Nusra Front, released a video of a purported Lebanese soldier explaining the reasons for his defection and urging his former colleagues to join the fighters.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Official Urges Lebanese in Tripoli to Fight Hezbollah, not Army
Sirajuddin Zurayqat, an official in the Brigades of Abdullah Azzam, urged Lebanese youths in Tripoli to fight Hezbollah and not the army, claiming that Hezbollah is the "head" and they should not occupy themselves with the "tools".
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Calls for Attacks on Hezbollah in Lebanon, Urges Sunnis in Lebanese Army to Desert
The Lebanon-based Brigades of Abdullah Azzam incited Sunnis to attack Hezbollah and its supporters, challenging them to be more "ardent" against Shi'ites than al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) against the Shi'ite Houthis.
- Al-Nusra Front Documents IED Preparation, Announces Operations in Qalamoun
Following the al-Nusra Front’s (NF) forced escape from its headquarters due to US-led airstrikes, the group’s Twitter account tweeted photos illustrating that it was operational again, carrying out attacks and building explosives.
- Pro-Hezbollah Forum Members Discuss ISIS Actions on Lebanese
Members of the pro-Hezbollah forum Qawem discussed videos of the Islamic State (ISIS) that shows the group's criminal actions. In a September 10, 2014 thread entitled "Will the Lebanese unite ... read the details?!," posters discussed videos allegedly released by ISIS that show torture and beheadings, including that of two Lebanese soldiers.
- Pro-Hezbollah Forum Discusses Lebanese Soldiers Held by al-Nusra Front
Members of the pro-Hezbollah forum Qawem discussed the Lebanese soldiers kidnapped by the al-Nusra Front (NF), the al-Qaeda branch in Syria.
- IS Claims Suicide Bombing by Lebanese Fighter in Baghdad
The Islamic State (IS) claimed a suicide bombing by a Lebanese fighter in Baghdad, targeting a gathering of elements from the Shi'ite militia the League of the Righteous.
- Al-Nusra Front Official in al-Qalamoun Threatens Attacks in Lebanon
The al-Qaeda-affiliated al-Nusra Front released an audio speech from Abu Malik al-Shami, its leader in al-Qalamoun, threatening attacks in Lebanon in revenge for strikes by Hezbollah in Syria.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Official Urges Lebanese Sunnis Take Up Arms Against Hezbollah in Audio
Sirajuddin Zurayqat, a religious official in the Brigades of Abdullah Azzam, urged Lebanese Sunnis to take up arms against Hezbollah, and Sunni soldiers in the Lebanese army to defect.
- Pro-Hezbollah Forum Members Question Hezbollah-Iran Relationship
Members of the pro-Hezbollah forum Qawem discussed the recent statements by high-level Iranian officials including General Hussein Hamdani, former head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, regarding the formation a second Hezbollah in Syria, and that it was willing to send 130,000 trained Basij fighters to prop up the Syrian regime.
- Hezbollah Cooperates with Government in Lebanon, Brings Peace in Beirut
In a column in the Lebanese newspaper al-Jumhooriyah, a journalist discussed the cessation of the regularly occurring car bombings that had plagued the Shi'ite southern district of Beirut.
- Pro-Hezbollah Forum Members Discuss Group’s Decreasing Finances
Members of the pro-Hezbollah forum Qawem discussed the financial repercussions of Hezbollah's involvement in Syria.
- Pro-Hezbollah Forum Members Discuss Strength of Lebanese Army
Members of the pro-Hezbollah forum Qawem discussed the Lebanese Army's increasingly tenuous position in maintaining order in Lebanon, as soldiers have been exposed to a continuous stream of attacks as the country's security has destabilized due to the spillover from the conflict in neighboring Syria.
- Pro-Hezbollah Forum Members Discuss Effect of Syria Battle on Lebanon
Members of the pro-Hezbollah forum Qawem celebrated the fall of the city of Yabroud, a Sunni-dominated town on the Syrian side of the Lebanese-Syrian border that has been accused of harboring elements of the extremists and has been repeatedly blamed for supplying car bombs that have struck the Shi'ite areas of Lebanon.
- Journalist Discusses Frontlines Near Hezbollah-Controlled Area in Beirut
Abdullah Qamah, a journalist for a Lebanese Shi'ite newspaper, published an article discussing the infiltration of neighborhoods adjacent to the Hezbollah stronghold in the southern Dahyeh in Beirut.
- Hezbollah Forum Members Discuss Security Decline After Beirut Clashes
Members of the pro-Hezbollah forum Qawem discussed the worsening security situation in Lebanon in the wake of a clash between two armed groups on March 23, 2014, in the capital, Beirut.
- Al-Nusra Front in Lebanon Reiterates Call to Defect from Lebanese Army
The al-Nusra Front in Lebanon reiterated its call to Sunnis to defect from the Lebanese army, claiming that it is a "tool" for a Shi'ite project spearheaded by Iran.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Calls Civilian Deaths in Iranian Cultural Center Bombings Unintentional
The Brigades of Abdullah Azzam acknowledged the death of civilians in the double suicide bombing at the Iranian cultural center in Beirut on February 19, 2014, but said these deaths were unintentional and resulted from an "error" in detonation
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Claims Joint Rocket Strike with al-Nusra Front in Lebanon on Hermel
The Brigades of Abdullah Azzam and the al-Nusra Front in Lebanon claimed credit for a joint rocket strike on "strongholds" of Hezbollah in the area of Hermel in the Bekaa Valley.
- Al-Nusra Front Warns Lebanese Soldiers not to Support Hezbollah
The al-Nusra Front in Lebanon, which claimed credit for the suicide bombing near a Lebanese army checkpoint in Hermel on February 22, 2014, warned soldiers not to involve themselves in its conflict with Hezbollah.
- Al-Nusra Front in Lebanon Claims Third Suicide Bombing in Hermel
The al-Nusra Front in Lebanon claimed credit for a suicide bombing in the town of Hermel in the Bekaa Valley on February 22, 2014.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Claims Beirut Blasts in Video Announcement
The Brigades of Abdullah Azzam released a video announcing its claim of responsibility for the twin suicide bombings near the Iranian cultural center in Beirut.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Claims Blast Near Iranian Cultural Center in Beirut
The Brigades of Abdullah Azzam claimed credit for the blast near the Iranian cultural center in the Lebanese capital, Beirut, on February 19, 2014.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Official Responds to Nasrallah Speech
Sirajuddin Zurayqat, a religious official in the Brigades of Abdullah Azzam, responded to the recent speech by Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah regarding the Shi'ite organizations opposition to Israel, and remarks about infighting between the al-Nusra Front and the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).
- Hezbollah Implements New Plan and Equipment to Stop Car Bombings
In response to the numerous car-bombing attacks taking place in Hezbollah-controlled areas in Lebanon, Hezbollah has begun using new methods to deter these attacks, including the use of "car scanners," which the group brought in from Iran.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Issues Formal Statement Claiming Joint Rocket Strike on Hermel
The Brigades of Abdullah Azzam issued a formal statement claiming credit for a joint rocket strike with the al-Nusra Front in Lebanon on Hezbollah sites in Hermel.
- AQAP Gives Condolences for Death of Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Leader
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) offered condolences for the death of Majid bin Muhammad al-Majid, the leader of the Lebanon-based Brigades of Abdullah Azzam. Majid, a Saudi national, reportedly died from kidney failure in a Lebanese military hospital on January 4, 2014.
- AQIM Offers Condolences for Deceased Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Leader
Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) offered condolences for the death of Majid bin Muhammad al-Majid, the leader of the Lebanon-based Brigades of Abdullah Azzam, and warned Hezbollah and Iran that he left behind men who will strike them.
- Alleged Sunni Militant Leader In Lebanon Pledges Allegiance to ISIL Leader
An audio message from the purported leader of a Sunni jihadi group in Lebanon, named as "Abu Sayyaf al-Ansari," pledged allegiance to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), and requested that the al-Qaeda affiliated group extend their operations in Lebanon.
- Marwan Hadid Brigades Joins Brigades of Abdullah Azzam
The Marwan Hadid Brigades confirmed that they joined the Brigades of Abdullah Azzam in a January 27, 2014 announcement.
- Hezbollah Strengthens Strongholds, Reorganizes Military Command Councils
Hezbollah has allegedly heightened efforts to protect the organization's strongholds in the wake of the January 21, 2014 suicide operation in the southern Dahyeh area of Beirut, according to an article published by the al-Anbaa' daily newspaper.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Claims Joint Rocket Strike on Hermel
The Brigades of Abdullah Azzam released two pictures from its joint rocket strike with the al-Nusra Front in Lebanon on Hezbollah targets in the town of Hermel.
- Hezbollah Supporters Question Involvement in Syria Following Beirut Attack
Members of the Hezbollah supporter forum Qawem posted about their concerns following the most recent car bombing that took place on January 21, 2014, in the Shi'ite-dominated Southern Dahyeh neighborhood of Beirut.
- Hezbollah Forum Members Discuss Reports of Group's Calling for a General Draft
Members of the Hezbollah forum Qawem.org discussed a report that the Shi'ite organization will declare a general draft to build up forces, perhaps to confront Sunni extremists or to send to Syria.
- Al-Nusra Front in Lebanon Claims Suicide Bombing in Hermel
The al-Nusra Front in Lebanon claimed credit for the suicide car bombing against a Hezbollah "stronghold" in Hermel on January 16, 2014, saying that it was revenge for the Shi'ite organization's actions in Syria.
- Al-Manar Columnist Speculates on Nature of Saudi Grant to Lebanon
A columnist for Hezbollah's al-Manar website published an article speculating on the nature of the $3 billion grant from the Saudi government to Lebanon.
- Hezbollah Forum Members Discuss Arsal as Base of Sunni Extremism
On the Hezbollah forum Qawem.org, members discussed the assumption that a Sunni-dominated town on the Lebanese-Syrian border is the source of the car bombs that have recently struck different parts of the capital, Beirut.
- Lebanon-Focused Jihadi Media Group Starts Campaign to Support ISIL
The Lebanon-focused A'isha Media Center announced an online campaign to support the al-Qaeda-affiliated Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) amidst its conflict with Syrian militant factions.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Leader Reportedly Died in Military Custody
According to reports citing Lebanese security sources, Majid bin Muhammad al-Majid, a Saudi national and the leader of the Brigades of Abdullah Azzam, died from kidney failure in a military hospital.
- ISIL Claims Car Bombing in Beirut, Addresses Conflict in Aleppo
The al-Qaeda-affiliated Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) claimed credit for the January 2, 2014, car bombing in Haret Hreik district, a Hezbollah stronghold in the Lebanese capital, Beirut, and addressed the escalating conflict between it and Syrian militant factions in Aleppo.
- Hezbollah Condemns Beirut Bombing, Killing of Mohamad Chatah
Hezbollah issued a statement condemning the car bombing in the Lebanese capital, Beirut, that killed Hezbollah critic and former Lebanese finance minister Mohamad Chatah and at least six other people.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Releases Video Showing Suicide Bombers Involved in Bombings at Iranian Embassy in Beirut
The Brigades of Abdullah Azzam released a video showing the two suicide bombers involved in the twin attack on the Iranian embassy in Beirut, Lebanon, in November 2013, and featuring a speech from Sirajuddin Zurayqat on the incident.
- Alleged "al-Nusra Front in Lebanon" Opens Twitter Account
A group calling itself "al-Nusra Front in Lebanon" opened a Twitter account, and in its first set of posts, published its own version of the communiqué from the Marwan Hadid Brigades claiming a joint rocket strike on Hezbollah positions in Hermel.
- Marwan Hadid Brigades Releases Video of Rocket Attack on Hermel
The Marwan Hadid Brigades released a video of its joint rocket strike with the "al-Nusra Front in Lebanon" on the area of Hermel in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley.
- Marwan Hadid Brigades Gives Pictures of Rocket Attack on Hermel
The Marwan Hadid Brigades gave two pictures of its joint rocket strike with the "al-Nusra Front in Lebanon" on the area of Hermel in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley.
- Hezbollah Forum Members Take Aggressive Position Against Involvement in Syria
Members of Hezbollah's Qawem.org forum have demonstrated an increasingly aggressive position towards the organization's military involvement in Syria, with some vigorously opposed, and others giving their endorsement.
- Marwan Hadid Brigades Claims Credit for Rocket Attack on Hermel, Lebanon
The Marwan Hadid Brigades claimed credit for a rocket strike in the area of Hermel in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley on December 17, 2013, and said it was a joint operation with the "al-Nusra Front in Lebanon".
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Official Gives Advice to Cells in Lebanon
Brigades of Abdullah Azzam official Sirajuddin Zurayqat gave advice to cells and prospective fighters in Lebanon, telling them to operate in small groups, avoid using mobile phones, focus on bombings, and target military and security centers of Iran and Hezbollah.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Official Again Incites for Attacks in Lebanon
Brigades of Abdullah Azzam official Sirajuddin Zurayqat again incited Sunnis to carry out lone-wolf attacks against Hezbollah and Iranian interests in Lebanon, saying in his latest message that only one bullet is necessary to kill an "imam of disbelief".
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Official Calls for Lone-Wolf Attacks in Lebanon
Brigades of Abdullah Azzam official Sirajuddin Zurayqat called upon Sunnis in Lebanon to carry out lone-wolf attacks against military, political and security centers of Iran and Hezbollah.
- Hezbollah Releases Statement on Hassan al-Laqis Assassination
Hezbollah released a statement on December 4, 2013 on the assassination of Hassan al-Laqis, a leader within the organization.
- Nasrallah Discusses Iran Nuclear Deal, Syrian Civil War, and Lebanese Security in December 3 OTV Interview
Hezbollah Secretary General Hassan Nasrallah was a guest on the "Without Immunity" program on Lebanon's OTV television station on December 3, 2013.
- Hezbollah Releases Article Venerating its First Suicide Bomber
The website of Hezbollah's military wing, Moqowama.org, released an article on November 11, 2013 that venerated Ahmad Qassir, the organization's first suicide bomber.
- Jihadist Says Embassy Bombings in Beirut Signal Start to Fight Iran
A jihadist claimed that the November 19, 2013, suicide bombings near the Iranian embassy in Beirut have signaled the start for fighters to "punish" Iran.
- Selected Hezbollah News Updates for November 12 – November 21, 2013
Hezbollah officials call for calm in wake of suicide bombings at Iranian embassy
- Bomber in Embassy Attack in Beirut Discussed Martyrdom, Promoted al-Qaeda Propaganda on Facebook
Mouin Adnan Abu Dahir, one of the two suspects in the November 19, 2013, double suicide bombing near the Iranian embassy in Beirut, used a Facebook page in which he expressed his desire for martyrdom and promoted al-Qaeda affiliates in Syria and Yemen.
- Hezbollah Parliamentary Bloc Makes Statement on Iranian Embassy Attack
Hezbollah's Loyalty to the Resistance parliamentary bloc released a statement on November 21, 2013 that addressed the attack on the Iranian embassy in Beirut two days prior.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam: Bringing the War into Lebanon
After years of threatening Hezbollah and Iranian interests in Lebanon, and solely claiming responsibility for attacks outside the country, the Brigades of Abdullah Azzam took credit for the November 19, 2013, twin suicide bombings near the Iranian embassy in Beirut.
- Brigades of Abdullah Azzam Claims Suicide Bombing Outside Iranian Embassy in Beirut
The Brigades of Abdullah Azzam claimed credit for the bombing outside the Iranian embassy in the Lebanese capital, Beirut, and said it was a twin suicide attack carried out by its "Battalion of Hussein bin Ali".
- Nasrallah Vows to Keep Fighters in Syria
Hassan Nasrallah made rare in-person appearance for the second straight day to deliver a speech on the Day of Ashura, the climax of the Mourning of Muharram during which Shi'a Muslims commemorate the martyrdom of Hussein ibn Ali, the Prophet's grandson and successor according to Shi'a belief.
- Nasrallah: Hezbollah Will Be Stronger after any Iran Nuclear Deal, Regional War is Alternative to an Understanding
Hezbollah Secretary General Hassan Nasrallah made a rare appearance in person to deliver a speech on November 13, 2013 in which he addressed a number of political and security issues in the region and in Lebanon. Nasrallah focused on negotiations over Iran's nuclear program, Israel, and Lebanon's inability to form a new government.
On the issue of Iran negotiations, Nasrallah stated that a potential deal between Iran and the West would make Hezbollah and its political allies stronger. He refuted the claim that he is worried about Iran abandoning Hezbollah as part of deal with the West. Curtailed Iranian support for Hezbollah would be a major blow to the militant organization that would significantly change the balance of power within Lebanon and in the region. Nasrallah stated, however, that he trusts his allies because they have never sold out the organization or conspired against it, emphasizing the unity of purpose shared by Iran, Syria, and Hezbollah.
Saudi Arabia and its allies, however, had good reason not to trust the United States, their strongest ally, according to Nasrallah. He implied that the United States had been an unreliable partner and unable to stand by its obligations. He cited the abandoned military strike on Syria as evidence that the Gulf states cannot count on the United States to stand by its declarations or its commitments to its regional allies.
The Secretary General warned that a regional war was the alternative to a deal with Iran. He urged Arab Gulf states and Israel to stop obstructing a deal because they will be the losers in any regional confrontation that results from failed negotiations. "Everyone must be worried," about a regional war said Nasrallah, "but others besides us must be more worried."
Nasrallah also warned that Israel is working to perpetuate the current state of division, strife, and conflict in the Middle East.
- Hassan Nasrallah Delivers Speech in Commemoration of Martyr’s Day
Hassan Nasrallah gave a televised address on November 11, 2013 in which he spoke on the occasion of Martyr's Day, an annual celebration of fighters and leaders who have died while serving with Hezbollah.