- Pro-IS Telegram Channel Names "Apostates" to be Killed in “Germany and All Over the World”
A pro-Islamic State (IS) German-language Telegram channel posted and forwarded several incitements to kill specific “apostates,” naming journalists, “spies,” and Muslim preachers, including German Islamic preacher, Pierre Vogel.
- Shabaab Releases Video on Former MP Turned Suicide Bomber who Struck Halane Military Base in July 2016
As "gift" for Eid al-Adha, the Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement released a video on a former member of the Somali parliament who carried out a suicide bombing at the Halane military base in Mogadishu in July 2016.
- AQIM Official Rallies Fighters in North Africa, Sahara in Eid al-Adha Speech
Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) released an audio speech from the head of its “Council of Dignitaries,” Abu Obeida Yusuf al-‘Annabi, rallying fighters in North Africa and the Sahara on the occasion of Eid al-Adha.
- Shabaab Releases Pictures of Eid Prayer Ceremonies throughout Somalia
The Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement, al-Qaeda’s (AQ) branch in Somalia, released a photo report of Eid prayer ceremonies throughout its controlled territories in the country.
- Jihadi Media Group al-Fursan Gives Biography of Kuwaiti Fighter Killed in Afghanistan in Drone Strike
The jihadi media group al-Fursan Foundation published a biography for a Kuwaiti fighter who learned from al-Qaeda officials Abu Laith al-Libi and Khalid al-Husainan in Afghanistan, and was killed in a drone strike.
- Al-Qaeda Leader Zawahiri Calls Muslims to Fight on 15th Anniversary of 9/11, Blacks to Enter Islam
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri spoke in a speech to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, calling on Muslims to fight, and noting racial discord in the U.S., urging blacks to enter Islam.
- Zawahiri Calls Fighters to Unite, Attacks IS for Creating and Maintaining Division
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri stressed a "dire need" for fighters to unite, especially in Syria, and attacked the Islamic State (IS) and its leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, for creating and maintaining division between the factions and ranks.
- Zawahiri Urges Sunnis in Iraq to Mount Long-Term Guerilla War Against "New Safavid-Crusader Occupation"
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri urged Sunni fighters in Iraq to reorganize their ranks and mount a long-term guerilla war against what he called the "Safavid-Crusader occupation".
- NF Co-Founder Iyad al-Tubasi Announces Separation from Jabhat Fateh al-Sham
Iyad al-Tubasi (AKA Abu Julaybib), a founding member and high-ranking official with the Nusra Front (NF), announced his separation from the group following its recent split from al-Qaeda (AQ) and re-branding as Jabhat Fateh al-Sham.
- Jihadi Media Group al-Fursan Gives Biography of Slain Member of al-Qaeda Security Committee, Son of AQ Official
After publishing a biography of one of the slain sons of deceased al-Qaeda official Mustafa Abu al-Yazid, Muhammad Khan, al-Fursan Media Foundation issued a biography for another son, who served as a member of AQ's Security Committee.
- Zawahiri Calls on Fighters to Rally Around Afghan Taliban, Reject IS
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri issued a speech calling on fighters to rally around the Afghan Taliban and reject the Islamic State (IS) and its leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- Jihadist Telegram Channel Claims Recruiting Foreign Fighter Killed in Aleppo Clashes
A jihadist Telegram channel reported the death of a foreign fighter in Aleppo, whom it claimed recruiting to the country’s battlefronts.
- TTP Jamat-ul-Ahrar Top Official Criticizes Terrorist Designation by U.S., Denies Affiliation to al-Qaeda or IS
Omar Khalid Khorasani, a top official in the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) offshoot Jamat-ul-Ahrar, criticized the terrorist designation of his group by the U.S. State Department, and denied any affiliation to al-Qaeda or the Islamic State (IS).
- Zawahiri Draws Lessons from Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, Urges Muslims Adhere to Islamic Principles
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri launched a new speech series, and in the first episode, drew lessons from the perceived failure of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt to urge Muslims to adhere to Islamic principles. The 12 minute, 23 second video was produced by al-Qaeda's as-Sahab Media Foundation, and was posted on Telegram on August 13, 2016. The series is called "Brief Messages to a Victorious Ummah," and the first episode is titled, "Who Protects the Mus'haf [Qur'an]?". Zawahiri prefaced this episode by saying that it will provide a "brief overview," where the viewer can take a lesson from the Arab Spring and its "failure" in Egypt, Tunisia, and Yemen, and added: "I will tell you the story of what happened in Egypt, because it represents the flagrant pattern of the Muslims’ failure if they are disabled and deviated, and it demonstrates the truth of the Crusaders’ enmity if they are transgressed upon. What is drawn from Egypt can be applied elsewhere".
The story Zawahiri presents looks at the Muslim Brotherhood from Hassan al-Banna in the late-1920s through Muhammad Morsi today, and what he regards as its deviations from seeking Shariah-based governance and accepting secular democracy. Here, he likened the Muslim Brotherhood to chickens in a poultry farm that are happy to take what they are given and ignore everything else. Zawahiri said:
We have to review the march, and correct the errors and not repeat them. Every fervent Muslim in Egypt, and in the states of the Arab Spring, the Islamic world, and everywhere, must be a lion in his doctrine and behavior, for if he will not act like a lion, he will be eaten by wolves. We must raise our young children as if we are nurturing cubs and not breeding lambs, and to fight in the battle with the Book that guides and the sword that supports.
- GIMF Announces “GIMF Subcontinent” for Outreach to Indian Subcontinent
The Global Islamic Media Front (GIMF) announced the creation of “GIMF Subcontinent,” a new media division dedicated to publishing and translating media pertaining to the Indian subcontinent.
- "Mujahideen of Shaam" Publish 3rd Issue of English Magazine "Al Risalah"
Fighters in Syria in support of al-Qaeda and Jabhat Fath al-Sham (formerly the Nusra Front) released the third issue of the English magazine “Al Risalah,” featuring a two-part story by a former British Guantanamo detainee, and interviews with a British fighter in al-Qaeda’s branch in Somalia, the Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement, and a suicide bomber from the Turkistan Islamic Party (TIP) before his mission.
- Jabhat Fath al-Sham Claims Clashes with Regime Forces in Lattakia, Homs
The newly established Jabhat Fath al-Sham claimed clashes with Syrian regime forces in Lattakia and Homs, marking its first such report under the name since relinquishing its al-Qaeda affiliation as the Nusra Front.
- NF-AQ Split Announcement Prompts Celebration and Wariness from Supporters
Following the Nusra Front’s (NF) recently announced split from al-Qaeda (AQ) and consequential rebranding as “Jabhat Fath al-Sham,” members and supporters of the group on social media expressed both support and wariness of the decision.
- Jabhat Fath al-Sham Claims NF-AQ Split Part of Necessary “Phase” Toward Opposition Unity
One day after formally ending its affiliation to al-Qaeda (AQ) as the Nusra Front (NF) in a video speech by leader Abu Muhammad al-Julani, the newly established Jabhat Fath al-Sham (“Syria Conquest Front”) explained the separation as part of a necessary “phase” in establishing opposition unity in Syria.
- Newly Established Jabhat Fath al-Sham Releases List of 10 Objectives for Syria
Hours after formally ending its affiliation to al-Qaeda as the Nusra Front via a video speech by leader Abu Muhammad al-Julani, the newly named Jabhat Fath al-Sham (“Syria Conquest Front”) released a list of 10 objectives for establishing opposition unity and Shariah in Syria.
- NF Leader Announces Split from AQ, Rebranding as “Jabhat Fath al-Sham”
Nusra Front (NF) leader Abu Muhammad al-Julani announced breaking ties with al-Qaeda (AQ) and the group’s consequential rebranding as “Jabhat Fath al-Sham.”
- Zawahiri's Deputy Tells Nusra Front to Do What is Necessary to Preserve Syrian Jihad
The Nusra Front, al-Qaeda's branch in Syria, released an audio speech from a figure identified as the deputy of al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri telling the group to do what is necessary to preserve the Syrian jihad, even to cut organizational ties.
- Nusra Front Supporters Discuss Rumored Split from al-Qaeda, Give Mixed Reactions
Nusra Front (NF) fighters, supporters, and officials on social media expressed mixed reactions to unconfirmed reports that the group would be formally leaving al-Qaeda (AQ).
- Zawahiri Speaks on Slain Hostages Weinstein and Lo Porto, Reiterates Call to Fighters to Kidnap for Prisoner Swaps
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri spoke on slain hostages Warren Weinstein and Giovanni Lo Porto in the third episode of his series "Take Up the Weapon of the Martyr," and reiterated his call to fighters to kidnap for prisoner swaps.
- Jihadi Media Group al-Fursan Gives Biography of Slain al-Qaeda Shariah Committee Member
Al-Fursan Media Foundation published a biography of a Saudi member of al-Qaeda's Shariah Committee who was killed in in Afghanistan in April 2015.
- Al-Qaeda Calls IS and Baghdadi Hypocrites in Latest Issue of Anti-IS Bulletin
Al-Qaeda called the Islamic State (IS) and its leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, hypocrites for claiming that they follow the "correct doctrine" while at the same time they eschew Shariah principles.
- Al-Qaeda Holds Those who Pledge to Baghdadi Responsible for IS Crimes
In the fifth issue of its "al-Nafeer" (Call to Mobilize) bulletin, al-Qaeda warned that those who pledge allegiance to Islamic State (IS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi are responsible for the crimes committed by him and his group.
- Al-Qaeda Demands Baghdadi Provide Evidence of its "Apostasy"
Al-Qaeda demanded Islamic State (IS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi produce evidence for the allegations made by his spokesman, Abu Muhammad al-'Adnani, about its "apostasy" and that of other fighters.
- Female Jihadist Releases Fourth Issue of Swahili Magazine for Women
A female jihadist published the fourth issue of a Swahili jihadi magazine for women called “Al-Ghurabaa”. Al-Muhajiroun - Emigrants of East Africa, a pro-al-Qaeda, pro-Shabaab group, posted the four-page magazine on Twitter on July 19, 2016.
- Al-Qaeda Questions Baghdadi about Former Ba'ath Intel Officers in IS Ranks
Al-Qaeda questioned Islamic State (IS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi about former Ba'ath intelligence officers in his ranks, asking about their role and actions, while the IS accuses the Taliban of working with Pakistani intelligence.
- Al-Qaeda Warns U.S., Pakistan Over Detaining Families of Slain Officials
Al-Qaeda issued a warning to the U.S. and Pakistan over Pakistani authorities arresting and detaining the families of three slain officials on alleged orders from American intelligence.
- Pro-AQ Accounts Rejoice as IS Leaders “Wiped Out One After the Other” Following Death of Umar al-Shishani
Al-Qaeda (AQ) fighters and supporters expressed joy at the reported death of Islamic State (IS) commander Umar al-Shishani (AKA Tarkhan Tayumurazovich Batirashvili), blaming him for the deaths of hundreds of rebel fighters in 2014, and rejoicing that IS leaders are now “being wiped out one after the other.”
- Zawahiri Attacks IS and Baghdadi in Audio Eulogy for Former AQAP Leader
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri gave an audio eulogy for former al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQA) chief Abu Baseer al-Wuhayshi, which quickly became a platform to criticize the Islamic State (IS) and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- Hamza bin Laden Threatens Revenge Against U.S. for Assassinating Father
Hamza bin Laden, a son of former al-Qaeda leader Usama bin Laden, threatened revenge against the U.S. for the assassination of his father, and told the American people that they are accountable for the decisions of their leaders.
- NF Associate Describes Status of “More than 150” IS Defectors in Rebel-Held Territory
An alleged associate of the Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s Syrian affiliate group, claimed that over 150 defectors from the Islamic State (IS) had entered territory held by opposition groups, and called for a larger and more organized embrace of such fighters.
- AQIM's Sahara Leader Incites Against France, Calls Muslims to Fight
Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) released an audio speech from the leader of its Sahara division, Jemal Oukacha (AKA Yahya Abu al-Hammam), inciting against France and calling on Muslims to fight.
- Shabaab Releases Fourth Episode of “From the Frontiers of Glory” Series
The Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement in Somalia released the fourth episode of its “From the Frontiers of Glory” series, titled, “From Golis to Lamu.”
- Nusra Front Claims Suicide Bombing in Leiramoun, Recapturing Parts of Region
Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria, claimed recapturing part of Leiramon in Aleppo following a suicide bombing carried out by a wheelchair-bound Saudi fighter.
- Jihadists React to Medina Blast on Social Media
Jihadists on social media commented on a reported suicide bombing on the Prophet's Mosque in Medina.
- Zawahiri Addresses Uyghur Muslims in Ninth Episode of “Islamic Spring”
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri addressed Muslims in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region of northwestern China in the ninth episode of his “Islamic Spring” series, promoting their cause and urging them to have patience amidst the “long battle” with the “atheist Chinese occupiers”.
- Pro-IS "Jabha East Africa" Posts Videos of Alleged Shabaab Defectors
A group calling itself "Jabha East Africa," which pledged allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) two months ago and has since criticized the Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement, gave videos of alleged Shabaab defectors.
- Prominent Australian NF Cleric Condemns Ataturk Airport Attack as “Barbaric”
Abu Sulayman al-Muhajir (AKA Mostafa Mahamed), an Australian cleric and member of the Shariah Committee of the al-Qaeda-affiliated Nusra Front, condemned the June 28, 2016 triple suicide bombing at Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport.
- AQIM Claims Bombing French Military Vehicle in Malian City of Gao
Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) claimed bombing a French military vehicle in the Malian city of Gao and killing its occupants.
- Zawahiri Threatens "Harsh Consequences" for U.S. if Death Sentence Implemented on Boston Marathon Bomber
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri threatened "harsh consequences" upon Americans if the death sentence is implemented on Boston Marathon bomber Dzokhar Tsarnaev.
- Jihadists Continue Celebrating Orlando Attack, Condone LGBT Community as Attack Target
Jihadists continued praising the June 12, 2016 attack on an LGBT night club in Orlando by Islamic State (IS)-pledged attacker Omar Mateen. Such reactions came from both IS and al-Qaeda (AQ) supporters, who expressed unanimous hate toward the LGBT community and branded Muslims condemning Mateen as “hypocrites.”
- Nusra Front Reports Clashes with Shiites in Khan Touman, Taking Captives
Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria, announced repelling an attack by the pro-regime militia over Ma’raata near Khan Touman, in the southwestern countryside of Aleppo, and capturing Shiite soldiers and war spoils as a result of the clashes in the area.
- Al-Qaeda Leader Ayman al-Zawahiri Pledges to New Afghan Taliban Chief
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri mourned the killing of former Afghan Taliban head Mullah Akhtar Muhammad Mansour and pledged allegiance to the group's new chief, Haibatullah Akhundzada.
- Three al-Qaeda Branches Give Joint Eulogy for Afghan Taliban Leader Mullah Akhtar Muhammad Mansour
Three branches of al-Qaeda – al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), and al-Qaeda in Syria (Nusra Front) - issued a joint eulogy for Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Muhammad Mansour.
- Jihadi Media Group al-Fursan Gives Bio of Yemeni Son-in-Law of al-Qaeda Official
Al-Fursan Media Foundation published a biography of a slain Yemeni commander and son-in-law of now-deceased al-Qaeda official Muhammad al-Hukaymah (AKA Abu Jihad al-Masri).
- Telegram Channel Suggests Methods to Fund Migration
A jihadi Telegram channel called on Muslims to stop “wasting time” and begin preparing for migration, suggesting different methods to raise funds.
- AQIM Media Division Promotes Old Belmoktar Message, Calls Azawadi Muslims to Support Jihad
Al-Ribat Media Foundation, the media arm of al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb's (AQIM) al-Murabitoon division, called on Malian Muslims in the country's desert region to support jihad, and promoted a December 2012 message from Moktar Belmokar.
- IS Gives Biography of Slain Shabaab Defector Hussein Abdi Gidi in al-Naba
After giving a biography of Abu Nu'man Yintari, the Islamic State (IS) published a biography of another Shabaab defector who was killed by the al-Qaeda faction in Somalia for pledging to the IS, in its al-Naba weekly newspaper.
- Jihadists Disseminate Latest Issue of Inspire Magazine, Urge for Attacks in West
Jihadists on social media disseminated issue 15 of al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula’s (AQAP) “Inspire” magazine, encouraging Western Muslims to use it as a resource for attacks.
- Hamza bin Laden, Son of Usama, Promotes Lone-Wolf Attacks in West as Means to "Liberate" Jerusalem
Al-Qaeda’s as-Sahab Media Foundation released an audio speech from Hamza bin Laden, a son of slain al-Qaeda leader Usama bin Laden, promoting lone-wolf attacks in the West as a means to "liberate" Jerusalem, and urging unity among fighters in Syria.
- Zawahiri Calls Fighters' Unity in Syria a Matter of "Life and Death" in Audio
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri again urged fighters in Syria to unite in the face of the enemy and its conspiracies, calling it a matter of "life and death".
- German-Language Telegram Channel Calls for Migration to Syria amid Renewed Offensive
A German-language jihadi Telegram channel called for migration to Syria amid a recently renewed offensive against regime forces in Syria.
- Jihadi Media Group al-Fursan Gives Biography of Slain Saudi Associate of Former al-Qaeda Official
Al-Fursan Media Foundation published a biography of a slain Saudi military camp trainer and associate of former al-Qaeda official Mustafa Abu al-Yazid.
- Jihadi Campaign Aims to Recruit “More than 5000” Fighters to Syrian Battlefronts
Jihadist and Islamist scholars in Syria launched a massive social media recruitment campaign, aiming to “mobilize more than five thousand Sunni young men” to Syrian battle fronts.
- Jihadi Media Group al-Fursan Gives Biography of Slain Palestinian Official for al-Qaeda Battalion in South Waziristan
Al-Fursan Media Foundation published a biography of a slain Palestinian official for an al-Qaeda-linked battalion in South Waziristan.
- Jihadi Telegram Channel Suggests Attacking Planes with Drones
A jihadist Telegram channel suggested attacking commercial planes with remote-control drones, and forwarded pages of a popular jihadist bomb-making guide.
- AQAP Denies Killing Yemeni Soldiers in Ahwar, Claims Attack on Houthis in al-Bayda’
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) denied involvement in the incident in which Yemeni soldiers were ambushed and killed in Ahwar district of Yemen’s Abyan governorate.
- Telegram Channel Calls for Plane Hijackings, Domestic Attacks
A jihadi Telegram channel called for airplane hijackings and domestic attacks while disseminating bomb-making manuals.
- Jihadi Media Group al-Fursan Gives Biography of Slain Son of Top al-Qaeda Official Behind Danish Embassy Bombing in Islamabad
Al-Fursan Media Foundation, a newly-established jihadi media group, published a biography of a deceased son of slain al-Qaeda official Mustafa Abu al-Yazid, identifying the son as a planner of many "unique" operations, including the June 2008 suicide bombing at the Danish embassy in Islamabad.
- Alleged al-Qaeda Defector Comments on Group's "Deviation," Work in Libyan Revolution in Final Interview with IS' al-Naba
In the final episode of his interview with the Islamic State's (IS) al-Naba newspaper, the alleged al-Qaeda defector Abu Obeida al-Lubnani discussed the group's "deviation" and its work in Libya during the Arab Spring, among other issues.
- German-Speaking Jihadi in Syria Forwards Contact Info for Migration Advice
A German-language Telegram account pertaining to an alleged jihadist in Syria shared a personal email address, offering advice for jihad and migration.
- Anti-IS Jihadi Media Group Publishes Refutation of Allegations Raised by al-Qaeda Defector in al-Naba Newspaper
Al-Hidaya Media Foundation, a Yemeni jihadi media group opposed to the Islamic State (IS), published an article refuting the allegations made in the IS' al-Naba weekly newspaper by an individual portrayed as a defected al-Qaeda official.
- Alleged al-Qaeda Defector Claims "al-Qaeda in Khorasan" is Finished in Interview in IS' al-Naba Newspaper
An alleged former al-Qaeda official who defected to the Islamic State (IS) claimed in an interview with the IS' weekly newspaper, "al-Naba," that "al-Qaeda in Khorasan" is finished, and discussed al-Qaeda's aspirations in Syria, its relationship with Iran, and its working with Pakistani intelligence.
- AQIM Fighters Threaten France, Feature Western Politicians in Video That Focuses on Activity in Mali
Fighters in the Sahara branch of al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) released a video threatening France, asserting French media censors the “damage” AQIM has caused the French military, and featuring footage of politicians who AQIM perceives as leading a war on Islam.
- Zawahiri Remembers Figure who Helped Bin Laden Escape Tora Bora in 5th Episode in “Days with the Imam” Series
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri, in the fifth episode of his series “Days with the Imam,” in which he remembers his experiences with Usama bin Laden, discussed the man who helped Bin Laden escape the siege on Tora Bora.
- NF Video Details Costs and Casualties of War through Infographics
Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria, released an infographics video on the cost of the Syrian war to the Syrian regime and Russia, the number of civilian and military casualties, and the impact of the Russian intervention.
- Jihadists Distribute Document Advising on Lone Wolf Attacks
Jihadi Twitter and Telegram accounts distributed a document advising on how to perpetrate effective lone wolf attacks.
- Fighters and Supporters Debate Syrian Opposition Unity, NF’s Allegiance to AQ
Fighters and supporters of the Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s (AQ) Syrian affiliate group, debated and weighed approaches to achieve “unity” with other opposition groups in the country.
- NF Fighter Claims New and Coming Pledges to Group, Coming Offensive
A fighter with the Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s Syrian affiliate group, claimed new and coming pledges to the group in Aleppo and Hama, and claimed that a “new offensive” would soon begin.
- Zawahiri Promotes al-Qaeda to Muslims in East Asia Over IS in 8th Episode of “Islamic Spring”
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri addressed an audio speech to Muslims in East Asia, promoting his group and its ideology and goals over that espoused by the Islamic State (IS), and urged they contribute to jihad.
- NF Claims Attacking Regime Forces in Northwest of Lattakia
The Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria, claimed killing and wounding Syrian regime forces in attacks in al-Jub al-Ahmar and Salma city in Lattakia.
- AQIM Claims Raid at Splendid Hotel in Burkina Faso
Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) claimed credit for the raid at the Splendid Hotel in Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso, reporting its execution by the recently-joined al-Murabitoon Battalion.
- Zawahiri Criticizes Riyadh Conference, Cautions Against and Condemns IS
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri criticized the Riyadh conference attended by Syrian opposition groups in an audio speech, warning of the “cunning” of Saudi Arabia, and continued to caution against and condemn the Islamic State (IS).
- Zawahiri Calls to Attack Interests of “Zionist-Crusader Alliance” to Avenge Prisoner Executions by Saudi Arabia
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri called in an audio speech for fighters to attack interests of the “Zionist-Crusader alliance” in revenge for the execution of Sunni militants and scholars by Saudi Arabia.
- AQAP Claims 7 Bombings on Houthis in al-Bayda’ Between Dec. 29-Jan.3
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) claimed nine attacks on Houthi fighters in Yemen’s al-Bayda’ governorate between December 29, 2015, and January 3, 2016, seven of which involved improvised explosive devices (IEDs).
- Telegram Channel Provides Online Library of Jihadi Manuals, Publications
A Telegram channel has provided a steady feed of jihadist manuals, speech transcripts, and other documents for jihadi followers.
- AQAP Releases Video on Retaking Ja’ar, Killing Deputy Commander of Popular Committees in Abyan
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) released a video on its retaking the city of Ja’ar in Yemen’s Abyan governorate, and killing Ali al-Sayyid, the deputy commander of the Popular Committees.
- IS Fighters Claim “Looming Collapse” of IS in Yemen
Pro-al-Qaeda jihadists on Telegram and Twitter distributed a JustPaste.it document attributed to Islamic State (IS) fighters in Yemen, wherein they predicted the collapse of IS in the country due to immoral leadership.
- AQAP Official, Ex-Gitmo Detainee Gives Eulogy for AQIM Shariah Head, Reminds to Attack West
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) released an audio speech from former Guantanamo detainee Ibrahim al-Qosi (AKA Khubaib al-Sudani) giving a eulogy for Abu al-Hassan al-Bulaydi and reminding fighters not to stop attacking the West and America specifically.
- AQAP Claims 16 Attacks on Houthis in Five Days in al-Bayda’, Ibb
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) claimed 16 attacks in five days on Houthis and what it called a “pro-Houthi” security administration in Yemen’s al-Bayda’ and Ibb governorates.
- Jihadists Campaign for Arrested German Preacher Sven Lau (“Abu Adam”)
Jihadists on social media campaigned for Sven Lau, a German Islamist preacher known as “Abu Adam,” following his December 15, 2015 arrest for allegedly aiding jihadists in Syria.
- Nusra Front Fighters Claim Meager Wages from Group
Fighters with the Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria, commented on salaries paid to NF fighters versus those of other opposition groups.
- Fighters Condemn Riyadh Conference, Claim “Huge Consequences on the Ground”
Jihadi fighters in Syria commented on the ongoing conference of Syrian rebel groups in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, which aims to achieve unified positions amongst opposition parties to bring to negotiations with the Syrian government.
- NF-Affiliated Fighter Condemns Strikes on IS Oil Fields, Claims Raised Prices
A fighter affiliated with the Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s (AQ) Syrian affiliate, condemned British airstrikes on Islamic State (IS) oil fields and detailed their alleged consequences on oil prices in the region.
- Zawahiri Lauds January 2015 Paris Attacks, Calls for Strikes in U.S., Europe
In an as-Sahab video produced 3-4 months after the January 2015 attacks in Paris, but released on December 1, al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri praised the strikes and called on Muslims to “move the battle” to the United States and Europe.
- Jihadis: Germany “Needs a Lesson” Following Entrance into Anti-IS Coalition
Jihadi users on Twitter threatened Germany in response to its decision to join an intensified anti-Islamic State (IS) military campaign with other Western nations in Syria.
- Tor Security Guidelines Distributed on AQ-Affiliated Forum
A group calling itself the “al-Aqsa IT Team” distributed a manual for ensuring online anonymity while using Tor Browser on an al-Qaeda (AQ)-affiliated forum.
- Pro-AQ Palestinian Faction Condemns Jihadi Community for Lack of Support
Abu Abdullah al-Ghazi, an official with pro-al-Qaeda Gaza faction Jaish al-Ummah (Army of the Ummah), released a statement condemning a lack of support from the international jihadist movement for its efforts in Palestine. The message was dated November 22, 2015.
The statement began by touting a decade of “conquests after conquests” by Jaish al-Ummah despite its small numbers and amount of resources. It followed up, however, by stating in part to the international jihadist community: “…you have left us down in our time of need…” Abu Abdullah al-Ghazi condemned jihadi scholars, as well as other components of the movement:
…we were let down by the Ulama of the Muslims and the Ulama of Jihad by not inciting the sons of the Ummah to support us with their souls and money… we were let down by the merchants of the Muslims and the people of money and they did not give us of their money and Zakah… we were let down by the media of the Muslims and the Mujahideen by them being silent about us and marginalizing our Jihad… we were let down by those leaders and writers and thinkers who took it upon themselves to support the oppressed, and did not support our call and Jihad.
Abu Abdullah al-Ghazi then called upon the international jihadist community to “remove the invasion and liberate Jerusalem” under a unified movement:
Come O free people of the Umma from the Jihadi and Islamic movements: To form one united Jihadi front that launches from Palestine to remove the invasion and liberate Jerusalem and Earth and man; to establish the religion, and empower the Shari’a of Allah the god of the two worlds, and return the authority to the Muslim Ummah in Palestine, the cradle of the honest wise Caliphate and then the general lands of the Muslims.
- Pro-AQ Jihadists Celebrate Bamako Attack, Contrast to IS Tactics
The November 20, 2015 attack on a hotel in Bamako, Mali on November 20, 2015, claimed by pro-al-Qaeda (AQ), Mali-based group al-Murabitoon, was met with approval by the jihadi community on Twitter.
- NF Fighter Posts Picture of Killed Dutch Fighter
An alleged fighter with the Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s (AQ) Syrian affiliate group, posted a photograph on Twitter of an alleged Dutch fighter killed with the group.
- International Peace Talks and Foreign Aid Prompts Tensions Among Fighters
In response to the second round of the Vienna Talks on Syria on November 14, 2015, fighters and supporters of the Nusra Front (NF) and other Syrian opposition groups discussed the implications of foreign aid and political engagement.
- Fighters in NF Video Condemn IS as a Renegade Organization, Lay out Arguments
The Nusra Front (NF), the al-Qaeda affiliate in Syria, released a video featuring two NF fighters criticizing the Islamic State (IS) for acting as renegades and causing sedition in jihadist movement.
- Jihadist Calls for Financial Support for Ansar al-Furqan
A jihadist-supporter on Twitter called for financial and other forms of support to Balochistan-based jihadi group Ansar al-Furqan.
- Female Jihadist Releases Second Issue of Swahili Magazine for Women
A female jihadist published the second issue of a Swahili jihadi magazine for women called “Al-Ghurabaa”. The four-page magazine was posted on Twitter on October 29, 2015, and was promoted by al-Muhajiroun - Emigrants of East Africa, a pro-al-Qaeda, pro-Shabaab group.