- French Pro-AQ Group Promotes Hamza bin Laden's Call to Lone Wolves
The French pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) media group al-Kifah published posters in three languages promoting AQ official Hamza bin Laden's May 2017 call to lone wolves in the West.
- Pro-AQ Telegram Channels Distribute Letter to Roger Federer Inviting to Islam
Pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) Telegram channels distributed a letter from an alleged individual in the Afghanistan-Pakistan region to professional tennis player Roger Federer inviting him to Islam.
The 14-page English letter, entitled, "An Open Letter for Roger Federer From the Land of Khurasan: An Invitation for Embracing Islam," was initially posted on a Telegram channel with that same name on June 26, 2018.
Its author, "Muhammad Abdul Aziz," heaped praise on Federer and regarded him as his favorite tennis player, noting his philanthropy, good character, and participating in the sport "for enjoying and admiring yourself and the spectators". He wrote that while Federer holds many tennis records, they will ultimately be broken, but that is not the "real lose [sic]" for him, but -
The real losers are not who lose tournaments or the top ranks; but the real losers are those who say, as our Holy Book "Al-Qur'ān" mentioned: "Our Lord! Give us (Your bounties) in this world! And there is no portion for them in the Hereafter''. The real losers "are those who will lose themselves and their families on the Day of Resurrection. Verily, that will be a manifest loss!"
Abdul Aziz mused that perhaps Federer is influenced by Islamphobia propagated by the media "which characterize every good Muslim; man or woman, as a terrorist and a member of ISIS or Al-Qaida," or he prefers Christianity. He then explained the positives of the religion while attacking Christianity and Judaism. Concluding his appeal, he wrote:
You can imagine yourself with hundreds of millions Muslim supporters! Who will pray and invocate Allāh for your triumph and success all your life. And they will love you sincerely because you will become their brother, and our Messenger (Muhammad Peace upon him) said: "None of you will have faith till he likes for his (Muslim) brother what he likes for himself". And even after your death; Muslims will ask Allāh his mercy for you as soon as they hear your name.
- AQ-aligned Hurras al-Deen Urges Fighters to Defend Daraa, Calls on Muslims to Aid with Money and Propaganda
The al-Qaeda (AQ)-aligned Hurras al-Deen urged fighters to defend Daraa against the Syrian army offensive and called on Muslims to provide support with money and propaganda.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali Branch Reportedly Claims 5 Attacks on G5, Malian, and MINUSMA Forces in Mopti and Timbuktu
The Mali-based al-Qaeda (AQ) branch, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), reportedly claimed credit for five attacks on Malian soldiers and forces within MINUSMA and Operation Barkhane in Mopti and Timbuktu.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali Branch Releases New Proof-of-Life Video of Sophie Petronin and Gloria Cecilia Narváez
Al-Qaeda's (AQ) Mali-based branch, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), released a proof-of-life video of two hostages, Sophie Petronin from France and Gloria Cecilia Narváez from Colombia.
- AQ-aligned Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind Calls Muslims in India and Kashmir to Contribute to Promoting Jihad
The al-Qaeda (AQ)-aligned Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind (AGH) called on Muslims in India and the Jammu and Kashmir Valley to contribute to the promotion of jihad and defense of fighters.
- AQ Leader Zawahiri Champions Jihad to Liberate Palestine, Calls Fighters to Expand Scope of Battle
Al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Ayman al-Zawahiri championed jihad above all other means to liberate Palestine in a video speech, and called on fighters to expand the scope of their battle to reach those that enable Israel.
- French Pro-AQ Group Distributes Posters Urging Murder of Americans and Jews
The French pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) media group al-Kifah distributed posters in three languages urging the murder of Americans and Jews.
- AQ-aligned Hurras al-Deen Claims Raid on Syrian Army in Lattakia, Provides Photos
The al-Qaeda (AQ)-aligned Hurras al-Deen claimed storming Syrian army positions in Lattakia and provided photos of the operation.
- HTS Condemns U.S. Terror Designation, Demands Evidence of AQ Link
Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) condemned its terror designation by the U.S. State Department and demanded evidence of the link to al-Qaeda (AQ) cited in the amended order.
- French Pro-AQ Group Cites AQIM Leader in Promoting Lone Jihad
A French pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) group cited al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) leader Abu Musab Abdul Wadud in poster promoting lone-wolf jihad.
- AQ Media Chief Calls for Strengthening of Militarized Jihad in Interview
Al-Qaeda’s (AQ) media chief called for the strengthening of militarized jihad against “largest Crusader campaign in history,” stating, “the tree of jihad is only watered with blood.”
- AQ Media Chief Describes Trump as Acting Like “Rambo,” Promotes Military Success of Afghan Taliban
Al-Qaeda’s (AQ) media chief described U.S. President Donald Trump as acting like “Rambo” in trying to single-handedly defeat “terrorism” on multiple fronts and promoted the military success of the Afghan Taliban in an audio speech.
- AQ Releases Usama bin Laden Lecture on Jihad and Traveling to Fight
Al-Qaeda's (AQ) as-Sahab Media Foundation released a video lecture from former leader Usama bin Laden recorded prior to 9/11, wherein he discusses jihad and traveling to fight as obligations.
- Jihadi Media Center Reports Hurras al-Deen Raid on Syrian Regime, Shi'ite Militia Positions in Hama
Sham al-Ribat Foundation, a recently established Syria-focused media center, reported a raid by Hurras al-Deen fighters on Syrian regime and Shi'ite militia positions in northern Hama.
- AQ-aligned Hurras al-Deen and Ansar al-Tawhid Announce Alliance
The al-Qaeda (AQ)-aligned Hurras al-Deen (Guardians of the Faith) announced an alliance with fellow Syria-based militant faction Ansar al-Tawhid.
- NIM Claims Artillery and Rocket Strike on Timbuktu Airbase
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), al-Qaeda's (AQ) branch in Mali, claimed an artillery and rocket strike on French and MINUSMA positions inside Timbuktu Airbase.
- Shabaab Issues Series of Videos Highlighting Lectures from Past AQ Leaders
The Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement, al-Qaeda's (AQ) branch in Somalia, released a series of video featuring lectures from past AQ leaders.
- Al-Qaeda Central Condemns Kunduz Massacre, Urges Jihadists to Galvanize Emotions of Muslims to Act
Al-Qaeda Central (AQC) condemned the incident on April 2, 2018, in which nearly 200 civilians were reportedly killed and wounded in an airstrike in Kunduz, Afghanistan, and urged jihadists to galvanize the emotions of Muslims towards action.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali Branch NIM Claims Suicide Raid on French, MINUSMA Positions in Timbuktu
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), al-Qaeda's (AQ) branch in Mali, claimed credit for the April 14, 2018, suicide raid on French and MINUSMA positions in Timbuktu.
- Pro-AQ Group Produces Video Promoting Role of Foreign Fighters in Syria
The Syria-focused division of the pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) Khayr Ummah Foundation produced a video promoting the role of foreign fighters in the country and questioning Syrian Muslims who reject them.
- Pro-AQ French Media Unit Calls for Lone-Wolf Attacks in Paris and Timbuktu
The pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) French media unit al-Kifah called on lone-wolves in France and Mali to carry out attacks on soldiers.
- AQAP Reports 18 Fighters Escaping from Prison in al-Bayda', Claims Attacks on Houthis and SBF
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) reported that 18 of its fighters escaped from a Political Security prison in al-Bayda', and claimed attacks on Houthis in that governorate and on Security Belt Forces (SBF) in Abyan.
- AQ Stresses "Lineage of Treachery" Among Saudi Leaders, Calls Scholars to Denounce
Al-Qaeda (AQ) stressed in Nafeer 26 what it called a "lineage of treachery" among Saudi rulers from founder Ibn Saud through crown prince Bin Salman and called on Islamic scholars to denounce them and confront them with "knowledge".
- AQ Supporter Gives Video Infographic on MINUSMA Losses in Mali Since 2013
Similar to a video he provided on French casualties in Mali, a prominent al-Qaeda (AQ) supporter published one focusing on MINUSMA losses within the same timeframe.
- Pro-AQ Telegram Channel Urges Muslims of East Africa to Participate in Jihad
After as-Sahab Media released a lecture from al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Ayman al-Zawahiri on East Africa and its historical place as the "southern battlefront of Islam," a pro-AQ Telegram channel urged Muslims in the region to participate in jihad.
- Al-Qaeda Urges Disputing Factions in Northern Syria to Reconcile, Not Allow Strife Benefit Regime
Al-Qaeda (AQ) addressed disputing militant factions in northern Syria in the 25th issue of its al-Nafeer bulletin, urging them to reconcile and not allow their strife to benefit the Bashar al-Assad regime.
- AQ Leader Zawahiri Gives Historical Lecture on Muslims' Loss, European Conquests in East Africa
Al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Ayman al-Zawahiri presented a historical lecture on East Africa as it relates to European conquests and Muslims' loss of sovereignty, and drew conclusions about the cause, among which is corruption and internal conflict.
- AQ-Aligned Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind Mourns 3 Slain Fighters in 2nd Issue of Nasr Bulletin
The Kashmir-based al-Qaeda (AQ)-aligned Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind (AGH) mourned three fighters who were killed in a recent clash in Srinagar in the second issue of its Nasr Bulletin.
- AQ's as-Sahab Media Publishes Leadership Advice from Former Shariah Official
Al-Qaeda's (AQ) as-Sahab Media Foundation published a booklet containing leadership advice from a former religious official as the first part in a series of past letters from its command.
- AQ's Mali Branch Claims Attacks on Malian Army in Mopti, Introduces New Communique Design to Thwart Bogus Claims
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), the Mali-based al-Qaeda (AQ) branch, claimed two bombings on Malian army vehicles in Mopti and introduced a new communique design to thwart bogus messages in its name.
- Al-Qaeda Leader Zawahiri Urges North African Muslims Fight Against French
Al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Ayman al-Zawahiri urged North African Muslims to fight against French soldiers, who he clams have returned to the region to occupy their lands and kill their brethren.
- Al-Qaeda Figure Urges Muslims Maintain Religious Morals, Values on Social Media
An al-Qaeda (AQ) figure urged Muslims to maintain their religious morals and values on social media, and prohibited their "Islamic pens" from distorting the faith.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali Branch Warns Tribesmen who Tracked Fighters After Soumpi Raid
Noting that some tribesmen tracked its fighters after they stormed a Malian army base in Soumpi, Timbuktu, the al-Qaeda (AQ)-affiliated Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM) warned them about delivering location information to the enemy.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali Branch Releases Photo of Suicide Bomber Involved in Ouagadougou Raid
The Mali-based branch of al-Qaeda (AQ), Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), released a photo of the suicide bomber involved in the raid on the French embassy and Burkinabe national army headquarters in Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso.
- IS Argues HTS Losing Positions to SLF is Similar to al-Qaeda’s Expulsion from Territories After Losing Popular Support
The Islamic State (IS) discussed Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) losing its positions to the Syrian Liberation Front (SLF) in Naba 121, arguing that it is due to the failure to maintain popular support, which also afflicted al-Qaeda (AQ) and led to its expulsion from its controlled-territories.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali Branch Sends Video "S.O.S." For Elderly French Hostage in Medical Duress
The Mali-based branch of al-Qaeda (AQ), Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), released a video "S.O.S." for an elderly French hostage in medical duress.
- Pro-AQ Groups in Syria Distribute Group’s Call to Help Those in Besieged Eastern Ghouta
Pro-al-Qaeda (AQ) groups in Syria disseminated a newly emerged group’s call to protect besieged Muslims in the rebel-held area of Eastern Ghouta.
- Pro-AQ TG Channel Summarizes Audio Interview with Shabaab Suicide Bomber from Feb 23rd Attack
A pro- al-Qaeda (AQ) Telegram channel provided an English summary for a Somali interview with one of the two Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement suicide bombers prior to his carry out his attack at the Presidential Palace in Mogadishu on February 23, 2018.
- AQ-Aligned Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind Leader Calls "Every Able Youth" to Attack Indian Army, Companies Seeking Investment in India
Zakir Musa, the head of the al-Qaeda (AQ)- aligned Kashmir-based Ansar Ghazwa-ul-Hind, called on fighters and "every able youth" to participate in jihad against India and, in particular, strike army patrols, companies associated with the Indian government, and foreign companies seeking investment opportunities in India.
- Al-Qaeda Uses Ghouta Massacre as Rallying Cry for Syria-based Fighters
Al-Qaeda (AQ) cited the massacre of Muslims in the eastern Ghouta of the Syrian capital, Damascus, as a rallying cry for Syria-based fighters to unite and settle their conflicts.
- Al-Qaeda Leader Zawahiri Reiterates Call for Unity in Syria, Tells Fighters to Prepare for Decades-Long War
Al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Ayman al-Zawahiri reiterated his call and that of his group to fighters in Syria to unite and put aside their differences, and asked fighters and Muslims alike to prepare for a decades-long war.
- Al-Qaeda Calls Jihadi Scholars to Guide Muslims through Discord, Muslims in Turn to Respect Scholars
Al-Qaeda (AQ) called on jihadi scholars to guide Muslims through the discord they experience, particularly those on the battlefield, and urged Muslims in turn to respect the scholars and their findings.
- Syria-Based AQ-Aligned Groups Jaysh al-Badia, Jaysh al-Malahem Photograph Fighter Training
Two Syria-based al-Qaeda (AQ)-aligned groups, Jaysh al-Badia and Jaysh al-Malahem, each published photo reports on the training of their respective fighters.
- AQ Leader Zawahiri Incites Muslims of Egypt to “Erase” Mistakes of Past Revolution and Start Anew
Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri incited Muslims in Egypt to “erase all the mistakes” of the revolution during the Arab Spring and start anew through violent jihad along with riots and protests.
- AQ-Aligned Syria-based "Jaysh al-Sahel" Announces Split from HTS
An al-Qaeda (AQ)-aligned Syria-based faction calling itself "Jaysh al-Sahel" announced its split from Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS).
- AQ's Mali Branch Shows Fighters in Formations in Photo Series
Within its photograph series "March Forth in the Cause of Allah," the Mali-based branch of al-Qaeda (AQ), Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen, showed fighters formation on foot and on motorcycles.
- AQ Urges Fighters Continue Striking U.S. Economic Interests to Achieve its Collapse
Al-Qaeda (AQ) urged fighters to continue striking U.S. economic interests in order to bring about the collapse of America.
- AQ's Mali Branch Claims Rocket Attack on MINUSMA Barracks in Tessalit
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), the Mali-based branch of al-Qaeda (AQ), claimed a rocket strike on MINUSMA barracks in Tessalit.
- Al-Qaeda Explores Process Through which it Believes America Targets Enemies, Islam in Particular
Al-Qaeda (AQ) explored the process through which it believes America targets enemies, analyzing various fields in which it operates including the economic, military, political, religious, and social fields, and skewing it towards Islam and Saudi Arabia.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali-based Branch Claims Bombing Malian Military Vehicle, Ambushing Police in Burkina Faso
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), al-Qaeda's (AQ) Mali-based branch, claimed bombing a Malian military vehicle in Gao region and also ambushing a police patrol in neighboring Burkina Faso.
- Al-Qaeda’s Mali Branch Photographs Fighters in Battlefield
Al-Qaeda’s (AQ) Mali branch, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), published photographs of its fighters in the battlefield.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali Branch Claims Jan. 27 Raid on Malian Army Base in Soumpi, Attacks on French and MINUSMA Forces
The Mali-based branch of al-Qaeda (AQ), Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), claimed credit for the January 27, 2018, raid on the Malian army base in the town of Soumpi in Timbuktu region, and provided photos of the captured war spoils, and also took responsibility for attacks on French and MINUSMA forces.
- Al-Qaeda’s Mali Branch Releases Proof-of-Life Video of Colombian Captive Addressing Pope Francis for Help
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), al-Qaeda’s (AQ) Mali branch, released a proof-of-life video of Colombian missionary Gloria Cecilia Narváez Argoty, wherein she appeals to Pope Francis to intercede on her behalf.
- AQ Leader Zawahiri Questions Outcome of Arab Spring on 7th Anniversary of Uprisings
Al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Ayman al-Zawahiri questioned the outcome of the Arab Spring on the seventh anniversary of the uprisings in the Middle East and North Africa, arguing as he did in years past that they failed due to not orienting towards Shariah-based governance and adopting violence.
- Hamza bin Laden Continues to Vilify KSA Founder for "Betrayals," Explores Uqair Convention in 4th Episode in Series
Al-Qaeda (AQ) official Hamza bin Laden, a son of Usama, continued to vilify the founder of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, exploring the Uqair Convention and his agreements with the British in the 4th episode of a series inciting for regime overthrow.
- AQ-Aligned Jaysh al-Malahem Releases Video on Liberating Mushayrifa and Tal Khaznah
The al-Qaeda (AQ)-aligned Jaysh al-Malahem released a video on its fighters' participation in the "liberation" of Mushayrifa and Tal Khaznah in Syria's Idlib governorate.
- AQ-Aligned Jaysh al-Badia and al-Malahem Release Joint of Video on "Liberating" Idlib Town
The al-Qaeda (AQ)-aligned Jaysh al-Badia and al-Malahem released a joint video of their "liberating" the town of Mushayrifa in southern Idlib from Syrian regime forces.
- AQ Reminds Fighters in Syria to Shun Differences to Achieve Victory
Al-Qaeda (AQ) dedicated the 20th issue of its al-Nafeer bulletin to fighters in Syria, repeating its call to them to shun differences as a necessary step towards victory.
- AQ-Aligned Jaysh al-Badia in Syria Releases Training Camp Video
Jaysh al-Badia, a Syria-based al-Qaeda (AQ)-aligned group, released a training camp video featuring speaking segments from fighters promoting jihad as a necessity.
- Al-Qaeda Central Reiterates Call to Fighters in Syria to Unite in Face of Common Enemies
Al-Qaeda Central (AQC) reiterated its call to fighters in Syria to unite in the face of their common enemies, namely the Bashar al-Assad regime, Iran, "Crusaders," and the Islamic State (IS).
- Mali-based NIM Cautions Supporters on Authorized Media Channels and Platforms
The Mali-based al-Qaeda (AQ) branch, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), cautioned its supporters about following any channel in its name that is not authorized to speak on its behalf.
- AQ’s Mali Branch Claims Destroying Malian Military Vehicle in Mopti, Attacking Gendarmerie Post in Burkina Faso
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), the Mali-based branch of al-Qaeda’s (AQ), claimed its second attack on a Malian convoy in Mopti, destroying a military vehicle, and attacking Burkinabe gendarmerie near Burkina Faso’s border with Mali, killing two.
- Al-Qaeda Promotes Faith-based Brotherhood Among Muslims Despite Personal Differences in Opinion
Dovetailing a prior bulletin urging Muslims to unite despite their ideological differences, al-Qaeda (AQ) promoted faith-based brotherhood regardless of an individual’s opinion and perspective in “discretionary matters”.
- AQ Insiders Distribute Letter from Hamza bin Laden Announcing Death of His Son
Al-Qaeda (AQ) insiders distributed a letter attributed to AQ official Hamza bin Laden announcing the death of his eldest son, 12-year-old Usama.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali Branch Estimates 8 Malian Soldiers Killed and Wounded in Blast in Mopti
The Mali-based al-Qaeda (AQ) branch, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), claiming bombing a Malian military convoy in Mopti Region, and cited "some sources" to give an estimate of eight killed and wounded.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali Branch Claims Two Attacks in Burkina Faso, Striking G5 Sahel Force in Mali
The Mali-based branch of al-Qaeda (AQ), Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), claimed an attack on the G5 Sahel Force in the country in addition to other strikes on Malian and MINUSMA soldiers, and also took credit for two operations in Soum province of neighboring Burkina Faso.
- Syria-based "Jaysh al-Badia" Promotes Fighters Using AQ Hashtags, Calls to Avenge Recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's Capital
Using hashtags for Qaedat al-Jihad (AQ) and al-Qaeda in the Land of Sham (Syria), a jihadi faction calling itself "Jaysh al-Badia" (Army of the Desert) has promoted its fighters and called on Muslims to take revenge for U.S. President Donald Trump recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital.
- Al-Qaeda's as-Sahab Media Releases Biography of Fighter Killed while Participating in Afghan Taliban Suicide Raid
Al-Qaeda's (AQ) as-Sahab Media Foundation released a biography of a Saudi fighter who was killed while participating in an Afghan Taliban-claimed suicide raid.
- Al-Qaeda Criticizes Islamic Military Counter Terrorism Coalition (IMCTC) as "New Crusader Coalition"
Al-Qaeda (AQ) criticized the first meeting of the Islamic Military Counter Terrorism Coalition (IMCTC), a 41-country coalition from the Muslim world led by Saudi Arabia against the Islamic State (IS) and other extremist groups and actors, calling it a "new Crusader coalition in a Saudi gown".
- Al-Qaeda's Mali Branch Urges Muslims Support Jihad, Especially in Syria, in Response to Trump's Recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's Capital
The Mali-based al-Qaeda (AQ) branch, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), urged Muslims support fighters and participate in jihad themselves, especially in Syria, in response to U.S. President Donald Trump recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital.
- Hamza bin Laden Explores Saudi "Betrayal" of Palestinian Cause in 3rd Episode in Series
Hamza bin Laden, a son of former al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Usama bin Laden, explored what he described as the Saudi "betrayal" of the Palestinian cause in the 3rd episode of a series inciting for regime overthrow in the Kingdom.
- Al-Qaeda Calls for Strikes on Interests of U.S. and its Allies After Recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's Capital
Al-Qaeda Central (AQC) called on Muslims to strike the "vital" interests of America and its allies after U.S. President Donald Trump recognized Jerusalem as Israel's capital.
- AQ Leader Zawahiri Gives First Public Rejection of Nusra Front Split
Al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Ayman al-Zawahiri directly addressed the split from his group by the Nusra Front (Jabhat al-Nusra) for the first time since its occurrence in July 2016, rejecting it and calling on fighters still loyal to AQ, and others, to seek unity against the enemy.
- HTS Officials Demand Immediate Release of Arrested AQ Affiliates, Threaten to Resign
Jihadi sources shared a statement by a number of officials of various sectors of Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) condemning the recent arrests of the AQ affiliates and demanding their immediate release.
- HTS Security Official Clarifies Circumstances of Abu Julaybib and 'Aridi's Arrests
The security official for the Syria-based Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) clarified the circumstances of the arrests of Abu Julaybib al-Urduni and Sami al-'Aridi, disputing that both men were betrayed.
- HTS Arrests Prominent AQ-Affiliated Clerics Including Sami al-'Aridi and Abu Julaybib
Jihadi sources in Syria reported that Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) arrested clerics formerly affiliated with the group and who defected and maintained their ties to al-Qaeda (AQ), including Sami al-'Aridi and Abu Julaybib al-Urduni.
- AQ's Mali Branch Claims Attack on MINUSMA, Malian Army in In Délimane
The Mali-based branch of al-Qaeda (AQ), Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), claimed credit for the attack on a joint unit of MINUSMA and Malian forces in In Délimane, near Ménaka, and reported the killing of five soldiers and announced the "martyrdom" of two fighters.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali-based Branch Claims Two Attacks in Burkina Faso, Including First on G5 Sahel Force
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), the Mali-based branch of al-Qaeda (AQ), claimed two attacks in neighboring Burkina Faso, one of which targeted the newly established G5 Sahel Force, and two in its homebase.
- AQ Leader Zawahiri Demands Revenge Against U.S. for Death of “Blind Sheikh,” Urges Unity of Fighters
Al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Ayman al-Zawahiri demanded that Muslims take revenge against the U.S. for the death in prison of the “Blind Sheikh” Omar Abdul Rahman, and reiterated his call to fighters in general and those in Syria in particular to unite against the enemy alliance.
- Prominent Pro-IS Jihadist Argues Hamza bin Laden Not Currently Fit to Lead Global Jihad Movement
A prominent pro-Islamic State (IS) jihadist challenged the prediction that al-Qaeda official Hamza bin Laden, a son of Usama, will unite the global jihad movement, arguing that he is not currently fit to do so.
- Pro- Al-Qaeda Jihadist Shares Audio Condemning IS' Sinai Province, Charging it with Criminality
A prominent pro- al-Qaeda jihadist shared an audio speech in which an individual named "Abu Muhammad al-Salafi al-Saynawi" condemns the Islamic State's (IS) Sinai Province and charges it with criminal acts.
- Al-Qaeda’s Mali Branch Claims Ambushes, Bombings on Malian and MINUSMA Forces in Mopti, Ségou, and Timbuktu
Al-Qaeda’s (AQ) branch in Mali, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), claimed four attacks on Malian soldiers and gendarmes and MINUSMA forces in the country’s Mopti, Ségou, and Timbuktu regions, and published photos of destroyed vehicles.
- Hamza bin Laden Holds Father, Usama, as Example for Muslims, Incites for Revolutions and Revenge Against U.S.
Al-Qaeda's (AQ) as-Sahab Media Foundation released an audio speech from Hamza bin Laden, a son of Usama, holding his father as an example for Muslims to follow in jihad, and inciting for revolutions in the Muslim world, in addition to revenge against the U.S. for the killing of the elder bin Laden.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali Branch Claims Attack on Convoy of Malian High Court's President
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), al-Qaeda's (AQ) branch in Mali, claimed credit for the attack on the convoy of the president of the High Court of Justice, killing five Malian soldiers.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali Branch Challenges French Denial of Killing Malian POWs in Raid
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), the Mali-based branch of al-Qaeda (AQ), challenged the French denial of killing 11 Malian soldiers who were being held by the group in a raid in Abeïbara.
- Mali-based al-Qaeda Branch Claims Bombing Malian, MINUSMA Vehicles in Kidal and Mopti
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), al-Qaeda's (AQ) branch in Mali, claimed bombing a MINUSMA vehicle in the country's Kidal region, and repulsing Malian soldiers and blowing up their vehicle in Mopti.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali Branch Claims French Airstrike Killed 11 Malian POWs in Addition to Fighters
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), the Mali-based branch of al-Qaeda (AQ), claimed that a French airstrike in Abeïbara killed 11 Malian soldiers who were being held by the group, in addition to a number of fighters.
- Al-Qaeda's Branch in Mali Gives Infographic on 6 Months of Operations, Claims Ambush in Koulikoro
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), the Mali-based branch of al-Qaeda (AQ), published an infographic on its operations from May through mid-October 2017, and claimed credit for ambushing Malian gendarmes in Koulikoro.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali Branch Claims Rocket Attack on Malian Army in Mopti, Killing at Least 4
Al-Qaeda's (AQ) branch in Mali, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), claimed killing at least four Malian soldiers in a rocket strike on their gathering in Mopti.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali Branch Releases Video on Spies for Mauritania, Threatens France and Allies with "Heavy Price" for Espionage
Al-Qaeda’s (AQ) branch in Mali, Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), released a video on men confessing to spying for the Mauritanian intelligence, and threatening France and its allies with a "heavy price" to be paid for espionage.
- Al-Qaeda Leader Zawahiri Urges Muslims Consolidate Ranks, Mobilize Efforts Against U.S. and "Client Regimes"
Al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Ayman al-Zawahiri urged Muslims to consolidate their ranks and mobilize efforts together against the United States and its "client" regime in a speech for the 16th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
- Al-Qaeda Mourns Former Muslim Brotherhood Leader, Uses Opportunity to Call Muslims to Unite Despite Differences
Al-Qaeda (AQ) mourned former Muslim Brotherhood leader Mohammed Mahdi Akef, who died in prison on September 22, 2017, in its “al-Nafeer” bulletin, and used the opportunity to call on Muslims to unite despite their ideological differences.
- Al-Qaeda Leader Zawahiri Rallies Fighters in AQ Branches, Urges North African Branch “Teach the French a Lesson”
Al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Ayman al-Zawahiri rallied fighters in the group’s branches in the Indian Subcontinent, North Africa, Somalia, and Yemen, and to those in the Mali area, called to “teach the French a lesson”.
- Hamza bin Laden Urges Muslims in Audio to Participate in Syrian Jihad
Hamza bin Laden, a son of former al-Qaeda (AQ) leader Usama bin Laden, urged Muslims to participate in jihad in Syria through physical or financial means, and help stop what he described as “international Crusader-Rafidhi aggression”.
- Al-Qaeda Urges Muslims Push Back Against Saudi Crackdown on Preachers
Al-Qaeda (AQ) urged Muslims to push back against the Saudi government for its recent crackdown on preachers and activists, telling them in the 16th issue of its “al-Nafeer” (Call to Mobilize) bulletin that it is “high time” to rise up.
- Al-Qaeda Central Urges Muslims to Financially, Militarily, and Physically Support Their Brethren in Myanmar
Al-Qaeda Central (AQC) urged Muslims around the world and especially those in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, and the Philippines to support their Rohingya brethren in Myanmar financially, militarily, and physically.
- Al-Qaeda’s as-Sahab Media Publishes 2015 Letter from 9/11 Planner to Barack Obama
As the second of four advertised releases for the 16th anniversary of 9/11, al-Qaeda’s (AQ) as-Sahab Media Foundation published a letter written in September 2015 from Khalid Sheikh Muhammad to then-U.S. President Barack Obama.
- Media Unit of Kashmir-based “Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind” Praises 9/11 Hijackers on 16th Anniversary
The media unit of the Kashmir-based jihadi group “Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind” praised the 9/11 hijackers on the 16th anniversary of the attacks, and lauded them as examples for Muslims to follow.
- Al-Qaeda Releases Will of 9/11 Hijacker Muhannad al-Shehri for 16th Anniversary of Attacks
Al-Qaeda’s (AQ) as-Sahab Media Foundation released the video will of 9/11 hijacker Muhannad al-Shehri (AKA Abu Umar al-Azdi) on the 16th anniversary of the attacks in New York and Washington DC.