- IS Formally Claims Tongo Tongo Operation, Claims Kidnapping and Execution of Canadian in Burkina Faso
In Naba 175, the Islamic State (IS) presented a special report on operations by its fighters in the Sahel and West Africa, formally claiming credit for the Tongo Tongo ambush in in which 4 U.S.Special Forces were killed, and the kidnapping and execution of Canadian Kirk Goodman in Burkina Faso.
- JNIM Claims Attack on Burkinabe Gendarmerie in Tougouri
The Mali-based al-Qaeda branch, Jama'at Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (JNIM), claimed an attack on a gendarmerie post in Tougouri, a city in neighboring Burkina Faso.
- IS Publishes First Photo of its Fighters in Burkina Faso
The Islamic State (IS) published for the first time a photo of its fighters in Burkina Faso, identifying them as part of West Africa Province (ISWAP).
- JNIM Claims Attack on Burkinabe Security Forces in Yagha (Burkina Faso)
The Mali-based al-Qaeda (AQ) branch, Jama'at Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (JNIM), claimed an attack in neighboring Burkina Faso on Burkinabe security forces in Yagha province.
- AQ's Mali Branch Claims Twin Attacks on French Embassy, Burkinabe Army HQ in Burkina Faso's Capital
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), the Mali-based branch of al-Qaeda (AQ), claimed credit for the twin attacks in Ouagadougou, the capital of neighboring Burkina Faso, targeting the French embassy and Burkinabe army headquarters.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali-based Branch Claims Bombing Malian Military Vehicle, Ambushing Police in Burkina Faso
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), al-Qaeda's (AQ) Mali-based branch, claimed bombing a Malian military vehicle in Gao region and also ambushing a police patrol in neighboring Burkina Faso.
- AQ’s Mali Branch Claims Destroying Malian Military Vehicle in Mopti, Attacking Gendarmerie Post in Burkina Faso
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), the Mali-based branch of al-Qaeda’s (AQ), claimed its second attack on a Malian convoy in Mopti, destroying a military vehicle, and attacking Burkinabe gendarmerie near Burkina Faso’s border with Mali, killing two.
- Al-Qaeda's Mali-based Branch Claims Two Attacks in Burkina Faso, Including First on G5 Sahel Force
Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen (NIM), the Mali-based branch of al-Qaeda (AQ), claimed two attacks in neighboring Burkina Faso, one of which targeted the newly established G5 Sahel Force, and two in its homebase.
- Media Unit of al-Qaeda’s Mali Affiliate Releases Proof-of-Life Video of Six Foreign Hostages
A media unit of Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen, al-Qaeda’s (AQ) branch in Mali, released a proof-of-live video showing six hostages, three of them female missionaries, from Australia, Colombia, France, and Romania, South Africa, and Switzerland.
- Ansaroul Islam Claims Attacking Burkinabe Soldiers in Nassoumbou, Targeting "Hypocrite Collaborators" in Djibo and Sibé
A jihadi group calling itself "Ansaroul Islam" (Ansar al-Islam) claimed the December 16, 2016, attack on a Burkinabe military position in Nassoumbou, and attacking two "hypocrite collaborators" in Djibo and Sibé, all of which are located in northern Burkina Faso.
- AQIM Media Division Previews Upcoming Video on Splendid Hotel Attack
Al-Ribat Media Foundation, the media arm of the al-Murabitoon division of al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), released screen captures an upcoming production on the Splendid Hotel attack in Burkina Faso.
- AQIM’s al-Murabitoon Division Claims Kidnapping Australian Couple in Burkina Faso
The al-Murabitoon division of al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) claimed the kidnapping of an Australian couple in Burkina Faso, and stated that it will release the captive woman without any conditions.
- AQIM Media Division Points to Splendid Hotel Raid as Warning to Enemy
Al-Ribat Media Foundation, the media arm of the al-Murabitoon division of al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), published a graphic pointing to the Splendid Hotel raid in Burkina Faso as a warning to the enemy.
- AQIM Issues Formal Statement on Splendid Hotel Raid in Burkina Faso, Identifies Attackers
Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) issued a formal statement on the deadly raid at the Splendid Hotel in Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso, identifying the three attackers, and calling the operation a “drop in the sea of global jihad”.
- AQIM Claims Raid at Splendid Hotel in Burkina Faso
Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) claimed credit for the raid at the Splendid Hotel in Ouagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso, reporting its execution by the recently-joined al-Murabitoon Battalion.