- HTS Reports Clashes and Gains against JTS in the Countryside of Idlib and Aleppo
Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) reported engaging in numerous clashes with Ahrar al-Sham and Nour al-Din Zinki, the leading groups within the Jabhat Tahrir Suriya (JTS) umbrella, and gaining control of several villages in the countryside of Aleppo and Idlib.
- Ahrar al-Sham Announces Major Changes in Its Leadership
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement’s new general commander Hassan Sufan announced major changes within thegroup’s leadership, appointing four figures to replace his current First Deputy Leader, General Military Commander, Chief of the Political Wing, and Secretary General.
- Ahrar al-Sham’s New Leader Expresses Readiness to Work with Rebel Groups against Common Enemy in First Address
Hassan Sufan, the newly appointed general commander of Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement, apologized to the Syrian people for the group’s loss of vision “in trivial disputes,” and promised to continue to keep the revolution alive by fighting the regime and the Islamic State (IS).
- Ahrar al-Sham Announce Change of Leadership
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement’s Shura Council announced appointing Hassan Sufan (Abu al-Bara) as the group’s new general commander.
- Australian Cleric, Former JFS Official, Expresses Disapproval of Recent Battle Between Ahrar al-Sham and HTS
Australian cleric and former Jabhat Fateh al-Sham (JFS) official Mostafa Mahamed Farag (AKA Abu Sulayman al-Muhajir) released a statement in which he deliberated on the infighting between Ahrar al-Sham and Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), calling it “existential” and explained why it is immoral as per His view of Islamic Shariah.
- HTS Reports Transgressions by Ahrar al-Sham on its Positions Throughout Idlib
With ongoing tensions between Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) and Ahrar al-Sham in past weeks ultimately erupting in violence, Ahrar al-Sham has reportedly launched coordinated attacks against HTS, with its fighters storming and taking control over cities and villages throughout Idlib.
- Ahrar al-Sham Announce Operation Room in Hama, Clashes in Latakkia and Damascus
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement announced the formation of an operation room in the countryside of Hama and gaining control of several villages in the area, and claimed attacking the pro-regime militia forces in Latakkia and Damascus.
- Ahrar al-Sham Claims Seizing Mountains in Eastern Qalamoun After Clashes with IS
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement claimed gaining control of a mountain range in Eastern Qalamoun following clashes against the Islamic State (IS).
- Ahrar al-Sham Condemns the Suicide Bombing on Civilians in Damascus
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement condemned the suicide bombing which caused over 25 civilian casualties and over 60 injuries in Damascus on March 15, 2017, and blamed the Syrian regime for the attack.
- Ahrar al-Sham Claims Attacks on Pro-Regime Forces in Aleppo, Damascus
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement claimed killing an unidentified number of pro-regime militia forces in attacks carried out in Aleppo and in northern Damascus.
- Tahrir al-Sham Statement Clarifies Discord and Situation with Ahrar al-Sham
Tahrir al-Sham released a statement to reprimand Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement for failing the Syrian revolution and bringing it to a deadlock by refraining from merging into one common entity and by instigating internal fights within the Tahrir al-Sham organization.
- Ahrar al-Sham Statement Reiterates Call to Tahrir al-Sham for Arbitration
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement condemned Tahrir al-Sham’s “systematic” intimidation of the group, and renewed its call for an arbitration between the parties in an independent Sharia court.
- Ahrar al-Sham Claims Killing 25 Militia Forces in Countryside of Homs
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement claimed killing 25 pro-regime militia forces in clashes at al-Qatari checkpoint on Homs-Salmeyya highway.
- Tahrir al-Sham, Ahrar al-Sham, Faylaq al-Sham Form Shura Council in Ma’rat al-Numan
Three of the most significant rebel factions in Syria – Tahrir al-Sham, Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement, and Faylaq al-Sham – announced forming a Shura Council for the city of Ma’rat al-Numan, in the countryside of Idlib, to help protect and develop the city.
- Ahrar al-Sham Infographic Claims 995 Defections from Group
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement announced 955 defections from the group in an infographic containing a breakdown by location and status.
- Ahrar al-Sham Release Military Report on Operations against Regime and IS in Hama, Latakkia, Aleppo and al-Ghouta
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement released a weekly report of the group’s military operations in Hama, Latakkia, Aleppo, and eastern al-Ghouta, during which it claimed attacks against the regime and pro-regime militia forces as well as the IS.
- Ahrar al-Sham Pledge to “Destroy” Regime and IS in Training Video
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement released a video of a graduation group from al-Shaheed Abu Nur Training Camp in the northern countryside of Aleppo in which the group pledged to “destroy” the regime and the Islamic State (IS).
- Ahrar al-Sham Commander Calls Tahrir al-Sham to Arbitration
Ali al-Omar, the General Commander of Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement, released a video statement discussing the situation in Syria, the course of the revolution, and the recent mergers, and urged Abu Jaber, the commander of the newly formed Tahrir al-Sham Assembly, to agree to an arbitration in order to resolve hostilities among rebel factions.
- JFS and Allied Groups Announce Dissolving to Form “Tahrir al-Sham Assembly”
Jihadist and Islamist opposition factions in Syria announced the formation of the “Tahrir al-Sham Assembly” (“Liberation of Syria Assembly”) amid escalating infighting amongst opposition factions.
- Five Opposition Factions in Northern Syria Announce Merger into Ahrar al-Sham
Five opposition factions in northern Syria announced their merger into the Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement, which one jihadi media group spun as a positive outcome of the Ahrar al-Sham - Jabhat Fateh al-Sham (JFS) dispute.
- Ahrar al-Sham Rejects Isolating JFS, Urges JFS to Sharia Court
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement declared it “rejects the scheme to alienate Jabhat Fateh al-Sham [JFS] and its being targeted by the international coalition and others,” while also warning it is essential that JFS cease transgression upon other rebel factions and submit to an independent Sharia court to settle all differences.
- Ahrar al-Sham's Shura Council Announced Group Will Not Partake in Asetana Convention
The Shura Council of Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement announced the group will not participate in the negotiations in Asetana for several reasons, including the failure in fulfilment of the ceasefire and internal disagreements amongst the opposition factions.
- Ahrar al-Sham Video Shows Military Training, Threatens Defeat for Syrian Regime
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement released a video featuring group fighters who explained the significant improvement in their military skills as a result of joining a training camp, and declared the Syrian regime and the pro-regime militias will soon be defeated.
- Fatwa for Merger Raises Criticism Among Rebel Factions in Syria
Rebel groups operating in Syria criticized the fatwa issued by prominent Islamic scholars calling for a merger among the Syrian rebel groups which was allegedly signed by Ahrar al-Sham, Jabhat Fateh al-Sham (JFS), Ajnad al-Sham, Noor al-Dine al-Zanki, Turkistan Islamic Party (TIP) and others.
- Syrian Rebel Factions to Unite Following the Fall of Aleppo
Syrian rebel groups released announcements of mergers in an attempt to unite forces against the Syrian regime and its allies amidst severe airstrikes which presented nearly complete control to the regime in Aleppo.
- Jaish al-Fath Groups Claim Recapturing Areas Lost to Regime in Aleppo
Groups within the Jaish al-Fath coalition reported capturing various areas previously lost to the regime forces in Aleppo, while killing “dozens” during clashes.
- Ahrar al-Sham General Commander Calls For Unity Among Rebel Groups and Civilians, Pledges to Defeat Enemies and Free Syria
Ali al-Omar, the newly appointed General Commander of Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement, released a video speech in which he stressed the significance of resisting and fighting against the common enemy, and called upon all rebel factions and civilians to unite for the success of the Syrian revolution.
- Ahrar al-Sham’s Shura Council Appoints New General Commander
The Shura Council of Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement announced the appointment of the group’s new general commander, Abu Ammar al-Omar.
- Ahrar al-Sham Announces Death of Its Military Commander in Aleppo City
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement announced the death of Abu Harith, the group’s military commander of Aleppo City, in battles against the pro-regime militia forces in al-Shaikh S’aeed Front.
- Noor al-Dine al-Zanki Accepts Merger of Jaish al-Shamal in Northern Aleppo
Noor al-Dine al-Zanki Movement welcomed Jaish al-Shamal to its ranks in the northern countryside of Aleppo.
- Rebel Groups Announce Merger in the Countryside of Aleppo
Rebel groups operating in the northern countryside of Aleppo announced a merger with Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement and Noor al-Dine al-Zanki in an attempt to fight the regime, its allies, and the Islamic State (IS) as a unified force, and to help lift the siege of Aleppo.
- Ahrar al-Sham and Levantine Front Announce Forming Conflict Resolution Committee in Joint Statement
Ahrar al-Sham and Levantine Front announced the formation of a committee appointed to resolve the disparities between the two parties in Azaz, in Northern Aleppo.
- Ahrar al-Sham Releases Training Footage from Fateh al-Ghouta Camp, Infantry in Homs
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement released training footage from its military camp of Fateh al-Ghouta and its infantry units in Homs.
- Ahrar al-Sham Video Shows Training Footage from its Fateh al-Ghouta Camp
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement released a video showing the training of its graduates from the “Lions of War” course at the group’s Fateh al-Ghouta Camp.
- British Jihadi Fighter Calls War in Syria “Five-Star Jihad,” Urges Patience Despite Hardships
A jihadi media group disseminated an article by a British fighter in Syria urging migrants to be patient despite hardships, asserting “victory will take time.”
- Ahrar al-Sham Releases Photo Report of Graduates from Training Camp in Homs
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement released a photo report showing the first graduates of its “Reserve Power” camp in Homs.
- Ahrar al-Sham Commander Reflects upon Dismantling of Jund al-Aqsa in Video Speech
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement released a video of the group’s leader Muhannad al-Masri giving a speech on the dissolution of Jund al-Aqsa.
- Rebels Launch Ashoura Battles Against Shiite Militia, Advance on al-Akrad Mountains
Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement, Faylaq al-Sham, Turkistan Islamic Party (TIP), and other Syrian rebel factions announced the launch of operation al-Ashoura in Mount al-Akrad in the countryside of Latakkia, and claimed “liberating” various villages from the Syrian regime.
- Jund al-Aqsa Dissolves, Pledges to Jabhat Fateh al-Sham
Following the ongoing tension between Jund al-Aqsa and Ahrar al-Sham, Jund al-Aqsa announced dissolving its ranks and joining Jabhat Fateh al-Sham (JFS) in order to “help those who are allied to it in continuing jihad” in Syria.
- Ahrar al-Sham Accuses Jund al-Aqsa of Ties to IS and Jund al-Aqsa Rebuts, Both Groups Escalate Conflict
As the conflict between the two Syrian militant factions escalate, the Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement accused Jund al-Aqsa of ties to the Islamic State (IS), among other charges, and Jund al-Aqsa rejected the claim and threatened action.
- JFS, Ahrar al-Sham, Other Rebel Groups Claim Control of Various Points in Northern Countryside of Hama
Syrian rebel groups claimed capturing several villages and checkpoints in the northern countryside of Hama following clashes with the regime forces as part of Marwan Haded Battles.
- Ahrar al-Sham Photo Report Shows Graduates from Azzam Jumu’a al-Latoof Camp
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement published a photo report of a graduating group from the Central Force Camp named after its “martyred” commander, Azzam Jumu’a al-Latoof.
- Ahrar al-Sham Official Discusses Jabhat Fateh al-Sham in Extended Version of Interview with News Outlet
Ahrar al-Sham released an “exclusive” extended version of an interview conducted by the London-based Al-Hayat newspaper, in which Chief of Political Relations Labib al-Nahhas discussed the group’s relationship with Jabhat Fateh al-Sham.
- Rebel Groups Claim Advances in Aleppo
Rebel groups participating in the campaign dedicated to “lifting the siege of Aleppo” claimed seizing factories in Ramousah, and repelling an attempted advance by the regime and pro-regime militia forces in Mahrouqat Hill.
- Ahrar al-Sham Claims Attacking Russian Military Airbase in Hama, Clashes With Regime Forces
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement claimed targeting Hama’s Military Airbase used by the Russian forces and reported battles with the Shiite militia in al-Zara and Hirbnefsah, the two villages in the countryside of Hama, which the regime has made multiple attempts to advance over in the past month.
- NF and Ahrar al-Sham Clash with Regime Forces in Northern Countryside of Homs
Nusra Front (NF) and Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement claimed targeting the Syrian regime forces in Zara and Hirbnefsah as part of their operations within the Northern Homs Countryside Operations Room.
- NF and Ahrar al-Sham Claim Attacking Regime Forces in the Countryside of Homs
Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria, and Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement reported clashes against the pro-regime forces in the countryside of Homs in reaction to the regime’s attacks on al-Zara, Hirbnefsah, and Kesayn.
- Nusra Front and Ahrar al-Sham Report Battles with Regime in Mount al-Akrad, Latakkia
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement and Nusra Front (NF) reported clashes with the pro-regime forces on the hills of Mount al-Akrad.
- Ahrar al-Sham Claims Capturing 2 IS Cell Members in Northeast of Idlib
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement claimed capturing two Islamic State (IS) cell members planning attacks on Ahrar al-Sham and Nusra Front (NF) fighters in the city of Binnish, northeast of Idlib.
- NF and Ahrar al-Sham Claim “Liberation” of Areas in Latakia Countryside
Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria, and the Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement claimed the “liberation” of the “strategic” town of Kinsabba, along with other locations in the countryside of Latakia.
- Jaish al-Sham Announce Merger with Ahrar al-Sham Against Syrian Regime and IS
The Syrian rebel group Jaish al-Sham announced rejoining the Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement with a common goal to fight against the Syrian regime and pro-regime forces, and to “eradicate” the Islamic State (IS).
- Ahrar al-Sham Videos Show Fighters Recapturing Territory in Northern Lattakia
The Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement released a series of videos and images of fighters recapturing Mount al-Akrad and al-Hadadah hill from Syrian Regime forces in northern Lattakia.
- Rebel Groups Claim Capturing al-Zarah in Northern Countryside of Homs
Syrian rebel groups of the Northern Homs Countryside Operations Room claimed capturing al-Zara village in the northern countryside of Homs, after announcing the launch of operation “Revenge for Aleppo.”
- Ahrar al-Sham Video Incites Youth to Join Jihad in Syria
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement released a video from the countryside of Aleppo inciting youth to wage jihad on fronts in Syria.
- Syrian Rebel Faction Joins Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement announced that a Syrian rebel faction called the “Haritan Battalions Union” has joined the group in response to the call to unite the ranks against the common enemy, and to support the revolution of the Syrian people.
- Ahrar al-Sham Video Promotes Military Training Camp in Idlib
The Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement, a leading Islamist opposition faction in Syria, released a promotional video showing fighters training in the Idlib countryside.
- Ahrar al-Sham Video Incites Fighters to Battle West of Aleppo
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement released a video from Khan Tuman front, in the western countryside of Aleppo, inciting the group to battle in the area.
- Ahrar al-Sham Video Chant Calls on Group to “Eliminate” IS
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement released a visual chant calling for the elimination of the Islamic State (IS) due to the group’s radical ideology.
- Rebel Groups Claim Seizing Numerous Villages across Syria from IS and Regime
Syrian rebel factions including Ahrar al-Sham, Jaish al-Islam, Nusra Front, and Faylaq al-Sham announced seizing numerous villages in battles against the Islamic State in North Aleppo and Daraa, and against the Syrian regime army in Lattakia.
- NF Charges Ahrar al-Sham for Death of NF Commander, Warns Against Recruitment from “Corrupt”
The Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s (AQ) branch in Syria, accused Ahrar al-Sham for the death of military leader Abu al-Homsi Sakkar in Idlib, warning the group about recruitment from other factions.
- Ahrar al-Sham Video Shows Discovery and Disassembly of IS Cells in Idlib
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement published a video explaining the stages of the discovery of Islamic State (IS) cells in Idlib, and providing confessions by captives that were involved in their operations.
- Ahrar al-Sham Video Shows Members Preparing for “Human Resources” Roles
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement released its second video showing members of the group learning computer programs in order to fill administrative roles.
- Ahrar al-Sham, Jaish al-Islam, and Opposition Factions Launch Campaign on Regime in Northern Hama
Ahrar al-Sham, Jaish al-Islam, Jaish al-Nasr, and other Syrian opposition factions claimed launching a large campaign on the Syrian forces in northern Hama, in response to the attacks by the regime and pro-regime militia on the villages in Lattakia and al-Sahel [the Coast] area.
- Ahrar al-Sham Field Commander Discusses Developments in Lattakia
In a video release by Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement, a field commander discussed the latest developments in the countryside of Lattakia, and asserted the group will continue to its battles.
- Ahrar al-Sham Video Shows Training for Its Administrative Cadre
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement released a video showing the training of its members for the group’s “administrative cadre” intended to help better understand the needs of the group.
- Ahrar al-Sham Claims Seizing Buildings in Aleppo as Retaliation for Regime’s Attacks on Castillo Road
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement released a “promo” video in which the group claimed seizing a youth residence in al-Ashrafiya neighborhood in Aleppo as retaliation for the regime’s violations on Castillo road, a main supply route.
- Ahrar al-Sham Releases Video on al-Za’eer Training Camp
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement released a video on its “al-Za’eer [lion’s roar] Camp in the South,” featuring Ahrar al-Sham fighters participating in physical and military training.
- Jaish al-Sunnah and Ahrar al-Sham Merge to Form Iman Brigade in Hama
The Hama sector of Jaish al-Sunnah (Sunnah Army) announced merging into Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement to form the Iman Brigade in Hama.
- Ahrar al-Sham Poll Reveals General Disapproval for Ceasefire Agreement
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement produced a video taking a poll of Syrian civilians’ positions concerning the recent ceasefire with regime forces brokered by the United States and Russia.
- Ahrar al-Sham Claims Killing High-Ranking Russian Generals in Car Bombing near Lattakia
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement claimed killing high-ranking Russian generals in a car bomb attack carried out in Snobar Jableh near Lattakia.
- Ahrar al-Sham Claims Seizing Eight Military Points from Jaish al-Thouwar and PKK in Aleppo City
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement claimed seizing eight military points from Jaish al-Thouwar [Army of the Rebels] and the PKK in the city of Aleppo.
- IS Video Shows Child Executing Spies by Remote Detonation of VBIED
A child of an Islamic State (IS) fighter killed by coalition aircraft is shown in a video implementing the remote-detonated of an explosives-laden vehicle containing three spies.
- Prominent Opposition Groups Declare Death Penalty for Aiding Enemy Shiites
A statement signed by judicial parties representing Ahrar al-Sham and Jaish al-Fath, and al-Qadha Courts declared the trafficking of food and other supplies to Shiites in the villages of al-Fu’ah and Kafriya as offences to be punishable by the death penalty.
- Ahrar al-Sham Announces Withdrawal from Geneva Conference
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement announced their withdrawal from the Geneva conference due to the ongoing attacks on civilians and rebels in Syria, and called upon all opposition factions to unite under the Ahrar al-Sham banner.
- Opposition Groups Claim Seizing Areas in the Countryside of Lattakia
Prominent Syrian opposition groups announced joining ranks under a campaign they called “Aligning the Ranks,” and claimed seizing several villages and hills from the regime in the countryside of Lattakia.
- Ahrar al-Sham Video Features Civilian Victims of Russian Airstrikes in Syria
The Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement published a video featuring civilian victims of Russian airstrikes, alleging that their intended target, the Islamic State (IS), is not often being hit.
- Ahrar al-Sham Claims Clashes Against Pro-Regime Militia Forces in Hama
Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement claimed to have attacked the Syrian regime and militia forces on the front of Hirbnafsah, in the southern countryside of Hama. The group shared two videos featuring the clashes along with the claims on Twitter and Telegram channels on January 13-14, 2016.
- Ahrar al-Sham Appoints New Homs Commander
The Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement released a statement announcing Abu Omar al-Ansari as the successor of the martyred Homs commander, Abu Rateb al-Homsi.
- Jaish al-Islam Gives Eulogy for Homs Commander of Ahrar al-Sham
Jaish al-Islam gave a eulogy for the Homs commander of Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement, Abu Rateb al-Homsi, who was reportedly assassinated on January 5, 2016. In a statement published on the group’s official website and Twitter pages, Jaish al-Islam spokesman Islam ‘Aloush indicated that losses in lives will not stop the jihad of the Islamic Ummah, stating:
Neither a death of a commander will stop it nor the loss of a mujahid, even a sword in this Ummah wouldn’t be sheathed until another one replaces it. And a commander would be gone to be next to his Lord, but after Allah prepares his successor to bridge the gap.
- Ahrar al-Sham Confirms High-Ranking Leader in Homs “Assassinated”
The Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement confirmed the death of Abu Rateb Abu Ezz al-Din (Abu Rateb al-Homsi), a high-ranking member of the group in Syria’s Homs governorate.
- Ahrar al-Sham Commander for Homs Announced Dead
Social media accounts associated with the Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement announced the death of Abu Rateb Abu Ezz al-Din, the group’s commander for Syria’s Homs governorate.
- Ahrar al-Sham Reports Activity of Houla Operations Room in Homs
The Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement in Syria claimed attacks on al-Assad militia as part of the activity within al-Houla Operations Room.
- Ahrar al-Sham Claims Attacks on Regime Forces in Western Ghouta
The Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement in Syria claimed to have targeted the pro-regime militia forces in western Ghouta.
- Ahrar al-Sham Claims Attacks on Regime Forces in the Countryside of Aleppo
The Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement in Syria reported attacks on the Syrian regime supported by pro-regime militia forces in the southern and northern countryside of Aleppo.
- Ahrar al-Sham Video Asks Aleppo Citizens to Share Thoughts on IS
The Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement in Syria released a video of citizens in Aleppo sharing critiques and condemnations of the Islamic State (IS).