- Jihadist Claims Shabaab Rejected Attempt by IS to Buy Pledge of Allegiance
A prominent jihadist claimed that the Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement rejected an attempt by representatives of the Islamic State (IS) to buy its pledge of allegiance.
- IS Supporter Calls for Attacks on British Sheikhs Who Support War on Terror
An Islamic State (IS) supporter on Twitter called on British jihadists to kill sheikhs that support the war on terror. User "Abu Ramzi Ashami" stated in an October 14, 2014 tweet that he advises "brothers in the UK, to prioritize the killing of the 'sheikhs' that work with the Antiterror police."
- IS Claims Killing Iraqi MP, Security Elements in al-Kadhimiya Suicide Bombing
The Baghdad provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) claimed killing Ahmed al-Khajafi, a Shi'ite Iraqi parliamentarian and member of Badr Organization, as well as inflicting deaths and injuries in the ranks of security elements in a suicide bombing in al-Kadhimiya.
- IS Fighters Address France, Arab Nations of Coalition in Video, Warn of Retaliation for Airstrikes
In the third episode of the Islamic State (IS) video series "Message of the Mujahid," three of the groups fighters addressed the French and Arab governments that participated in the coalition airstrike on Syria and swore that the airstrikes will not weaken the group and will be avenged.
- IS Claims Killing and Wounding Dozens in Suicide Bombings in Sadr City, al-Kadhimiya
The Baghdad provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) claimed killing and wounding dozens in suicide bombings in Sadr City and al-Kadhimiya on October 13, 2014.
- TTP Spokesman Shahidullah, Five Officials Allegedly Pledge to IS
The official spokesman of Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and five group officials have allegedly pledged allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) and its leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- IS Reports on Capturing Heet Training Camp in Anbar
The Anbar provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) issued a communique reporting on its capture of the Heet training camp and adjacent barracks in the province.
- IS Publishes Photo Report on Attack by Indonesian Suicide Bomber at Speicher Base
The Salah al-Din provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) published a photo report on a suicide bombing by an Indonesian fighter at Speicher airbase.
- IS Video Shows Footage from Training Camp in Ninawa in New Series “Blood of Jihad”
The Ninawa provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) released a video showing the training of its new recruits at the “Camp of Sheikh Abu Azzam al-Ansari” in a new series called “Blood of Jihad”.
- IS Supporters Congratulate Austrian Jihadist Mohamed Mahmoud for Marriage in ar-Raqqah
Austrian jihadist Mohamed Mahmoud (AKA Abu Usama al-Gharib), who was recently imprisoned in Turkey, has reportedly married female jihadist Ahlam al-Nasser in Syria's ar-Raqqah governorate.
- American IS Fighter Reportedly Killed in Battles in Kobani
Jihadists have reported that an American fighter in the Islamic State (IS), Abu Muhammad al-Amriki, was killed during battles for the town of Ayn al-Arab (Kobani), near the Syria-Turkey border.
- British Captive John Cantlie Speaks on U.S., Allies Using Beheadings to Drive Public Support for War in New IS Video
In the third episode of the Islamic State’s (IS) video series “Lend Me Your Ears,” British captive John Cantlie discussed the notion that the U.S. government and its allies capitalized on the beheadings of American and British nationals to drive public support for military action against the IS.
- IS Claims Killing and Wounding 200 in Twin Suicide Blasts in Baghdad
The Islamic State (IS) claimed killing and injuring nearly 200 Iraqi security elements and Shi’ites in twin suicide bombings in Baghdad.
- IS Claims Suicide Bombings by German, Saudi, Turkish Fighters in Diyala
The Islamic State (IS) claimed killing and injuring dozens of Kurdish Peshmerga forces in three suicide bombings carried out by German, Saudi, and Turkish fighters in the town of Qara Tappah in Iraq’s Diyala province.
- IS Releases 4th Issue of English Magazine “Dabiq,” Discusses “Failed Crusade”
The Islamic State (IS) released the fourth issue of its English magazine “Dabiq,” focusing on what it called the “failed Crusade,” and featuring a message from slain American journalist Steven Joel Sotloff to his mother, as well as a message allegedly from British captive John Cantlie.
- TTP Leader Fazlullah Urges Fighters in Syria to Unite, Denies Pledging to IS
Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) leader Fazlullah al-Khorasani issued a message for the occasion of Eid al-Adha (Festival of Sacrifice), promoting TTP's mission to implement Shariah-based governance in Pakistan, and urging fighters in Syria to unite as their enemy has united against them.
- Female IS Supporter Claims to Arrive at IS-Controlled Territory, Encourages Others to Follow
A female supporter of the Islamic State (IS) announced that she had arrived to live under IS in an unspecified location and urged others to follow with haste amid rising conflict in the region.
- IS Publishes Photo Report on Downing Second Iraqi Military Helicopter in Beiji
The Salah al-Din provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) published a photo report of shooting down a second Iraqi military helicopter in the city of Beiji.
- IS Publishes Photo Report on Downing Iraqi Military Helicopter in Beiji
The Salah al-Din provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) published a photo report of shooting down an Iraqi military helicopter in the city of Beiji.
- Pro-IS Jihadist Tries to Organize Campaign to Spit on Westerners, Shi’ites
Citing the call by Islamic State (IS) spokesman Abu Muhammad al-'Adnani to IS supporters to spit on the face of citizens of the U.S. and its coalition allies if they cannot kill them, a jihadist tried to organize a campaign for that order.
- MSC in the Environs of Jerusalem Calls to Support the IS
The Mujahideen Shura Council (MSC) in the Environs of Jerusalem called upon Muslims to support the Islamic State (IS) against the U.S.-led coalition in Iraq and Syria.
- IS Video Reports on Weapons Research and Development Department
The "al-Janoub" provincial division of the Islamic State, which is located in southern Iraq, released a video reporting on its "Department of Research and Development" and its manufacturing of mortar shells and cannons.
- IS Video Reports Defection of Ahrar al-Sham Elements, Pledge to Baghdadi
The Aleppo provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) released a video reporting that dozens of elements from Ahrar al-Sham, a jihadi faction within the Islamic Front (IF), defected and pledged allegiance to the IS and its leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- Elderly Fighter Addresses Obama in IS Video, Speaks on Airstrikes
In the second episode of the new Islamic State (IS) video series "Message of the Mujahid," an elderly fighter addressed U.S. President Barack Obama and swore that the coalition airstrikes will not weaken the group.
- TTP Jamat-ul-Ahrar Offers to Mediate Between IS and al-Nusra Front
An official in Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) offshoot Jamat-ul-Ahrar, Omar Khaled al-Khorasani, offered to mediate between the Islamic State (IS) and the al-Nusra Front, and to send a reconciliation team from Pakistan to Iraq and Syria.
- Jihadi Ideologue Abdullah al-Muhayshini Calls on Syrian Faction to Unite in Face of U.S.-led Coalition
Jihadi ideologue and Saudi cleric Abdullah bin Muhammad al-Muhaysini released an audio speech calling on jihadi factions in Syria to unite against the U.S.-led military coalition, and condemning the airstrikes as a "war on Islam".
- “Ansar al-Tawhid in the Land of Hind” Pledges to IS, Repeats IS Spokesman’s Call for Attacks
"Ansar al-Tawhid in the Land of Hind" pledged allegiance to the Islamic State (IS) and repeated the call to Muslims by IS spokesman Abu Muhammad al-'Adnani to attack citizens of countries participating in the U.S.-led military coalition.
- British IS Fighter Addresses Cameron, Calls for Lone Wolf Attacks in Britain
A British Islamic State (IS) fighter by the name "Abu Saeed al-Britani [The British]" was featured in a two-minute video condemning British Prime Minister David Cameron the United States for airstrikes against IS and calling on British Muslims to join the group's fight by fighting abroad and committing lone wolf attacks domestically.
- IS Publishes Photo Set from “Abu Omar al-Baghdadi” Training Camp in Kirkuk
The Kirkuk provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) released a photo set of the "graduation" of a group of fighters from its Abu Omar al-Baghdadi military training camp, showing scenes of their exercises.
- English-Speaking Fighter Describes Scene of Coalition Airstrike in IS Video
The ar-Raqqah provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) released a video in which an English-speaking fighter describes a scene of a U.S.-led coalition airstrike, claiming that it struck a school.
- IEC Leader, Jihadi Ideologues Offer Truce Initiative for IS, Opponents
Abu Muhammad al-Dagestani, the leader of the Islamic Emirate of the Caucasus (IEC), and 21 signatories including jihadi ideologues Abu Muhammad al-Maqdisi, Abu Qatada al-Filistini, and Abdullah al-Muhaysini, proposed a truce between the Islamic State (IS) and opposing jihadi factions in Syria.
- IS Publishes Photo Reports of Public Executions, Pledging of Sunni Tribes
The Islamic State (IS) published three photo reports of its recent activities in Iraq and Syria, including the public executions of six men in Aleppo, the aftermath of a clash with Kurdish Peshmerga elements in Kirkuk, and the pledging of Sunni tribes to its group in the IS' newly-created "Furat" (Euphrates) province in Iraq.
- IS Interviews Fighters in ar-Raqqah about U.S.-led Coalition
The ar-Raqqah provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) released a video showing interviews with several fighters about the U.S.-led coalition against the group in Iraq and Syria.
- IS Publishes Photo Reports on Operations in Aleppo, Anbar, Raqqah
The Islamic State (IS) published five photo reports on its recent operations in Syria's Aleppo and ar-Raqqah provinces, and Iraq's Anbar province, including attacks on villages in the vicinity of Ayn al-Arab (Kobane,) near the Syrian-Turkish border.
- Jund al-Khilafah in Algeria Releases Video Reiterating Pledge to IS
Jund al-Khilafah in Algeria, a jihadist group that had previously released a video of its beheading a French citizen in support of the Islamic State (IS), reiterated its pledge of allegiance to the IS and its leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, in a new video.
- British Captive John Cantlie Speaks on Obama’s 9/11 Anniversary Speech in New IS Video
In the second episode of the IS’ video series “Lend Me Your Ears,” British captive John Cantlie spoke on the 9/11 anniversary speech delivered by U.S. President Barack Obama, focusing on the build-up to war against the IS.
- IS Video Shows Condemnations in Deir al-Zour for Coalition, Threat to Retaliate
The "al-Khayr" (Deir al-Zour) provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) released a video showing what it described as people in al-Mayadin district coming out to the streets to condemn the U.S.-led militant coalition.
- “Jund al-Khilafah in Egypt” Announces Establishment, Pledges to IS
A group calling itself "Jund al-Khilafah in the Land of Kinana (Egypt)" announced its establishment and pledge of allegiance to the Islamic State (IS), and threatened to strike American interests and those of the "worshippers of the Cross" in Egypt.
- Bahraini Fighters Urge Sunnis in Bahrain to Take Action in IS Video
The Islamic State (IS) released a video of Bahraini fighters, including an officer who defected from Bahrain’s Interior Ministry, inciting Sunnis to take action against the Bahraini government and Shi’ites in the country.
- IS Video Focuses on Harm to Civilians in ar-Raqqah from U.S. Airstrikes
The ar-Raqqah provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) released a video focusing on what it described as harm to Muslim civilians from U.S. airstrikes in the area.
- Al-Qaeda Official Warns Muslims Against Following IS, Urges Fighters in Syria to Save the Jihad
Al-Qaeda official Muhammad bin Mahmoud Rabie al-Bahtiyti (AKA Abu Dujana al-Basha) issued an audio speech warning Muslims against following the Islamic State (IS) and urging fighters in Syria to "rescue the ship of jihad, and reach it before it deviates from its course and settles on the path of the people of desires".
- IS Gives Detailed Report on Raid in al-Sijr, Taking Brigade 30 HQ
The Islamic State (IS) published a detailed report on its large-scale storming operation in the area of al-Sijr in Iraq's Anbar province, claiming the killing of nearly 300 Iraqi soldiers, and taking complete control of the headquarters of Brigade 30.
- IS Video Shows People in ar-Raqqah Defiant to U.S.-led Airstrikes
The ar-Raqqah provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) released a video showing people defiant to the U.S.-led airstrikes in the area.
- British Captive John Cantlie Speaks on Buildup to Foreign Intervention Against IS in New IS Video
After introducing a new series featuring British captive John Cantlie as the speaker, the Islamic State (IS) released the first episode, where Cantlie discussed the buildup to foreign military intervention against the group.
- IS Spokesman Rallies Fighters Against U.S.-Led Coalition, Threatens Enemy and Calls Individual Muslims to Launch Attacks
The Islamic State (IS) released an audio speech from its spokesman, Abu Muhammad al-‘Adnani, rallying fighters against the U.S.-led coalition against them in Iraq and Syria, and threatening America, as well as calling upon individual Muslims to launch attacks on civilians in allied countries.
- IS Video Shows Fighter Training in ar-Raqqah
The ar-Raqqah provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) released a video of the “graduation” of a group of fighters from a training camp, and showing scenes from their military exercises.
- IS Gives Details of Multi-Prong Operation in Kadhimiya, Claims Killing and Wounding Hundreds
The Islamic State (IS) published a report providing details of its multi-prong operation in Baghdad’s Kadhimiya district on September 18, 2014, which included two suicide bombings and rocket strikes on government and Shi’a militia targets.
- Statement Attributed to Uqba bin Nafi Battalion in Tunisia Pledges Support to IS
A statement attributed to the Uqba bin Nafi Battalion, a Tunisian branch of al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), pledged support to the Islamic State (IS).
- IS Video Shows Bulldozing of Iraqi Barracks, Building Road in Jurf al-Sakhar
The Islamic State (IS) released a video of its fighters in the city of Jurf al-Sakhar in Iraq's Babil province bulldozing an Iraqi army barracks and its guard towers, and building a road.
- Jihadi Ideologue Abu Muhammad al-Maqdisi Asks IS to Free Alan Henning
Jihadi ideologue Abu Muhammad al-Maqdisi called on the Islamic State (IS) to release British aid worker Alan Henning, and remarked that the extremist behavior of the group towards Muslims and fellow jihadi factions has "earned" it the U.S.-led coalition that now seeks to destroy it.
- IS Releases Video Documentary “Flames of War: Fighting Has Just Begun”
After releasing the trailer for the video, the Islamic State (IS) issued the documentary-style production, "Flames of War: Fighting Has Just Begun," promoting its cause and highlighting some of its major operations in Syria.
- IS Publishes Picture Set of “Islamic Police” Patrolling in Ninawa
The Ninawa provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) published a picture set of its "Islamic police" on patrol on land and water, and in an accompanying message, claimed that these men represent the century-old police of the previous Caliphates.
- Jihadists Discuss Idea for IS, Lone Wolves to Spread Ebola in America
Jihadists discussed an idea for the Islamic State (IS) and pro-IS lone wolves to spread the Ebola virus in the U.S. and countries involved in its coalition against the group.
- British Captive John Cantlie Speaks in First Episode of New IS Series
The Islamic State (IS) released the first episode in which a British captive, John Cantlie, speaks on the alleged truth about the group that is hidden by the Western media.
- Saudi Suicide Bomber Incites for Jihad, Says IS Will Expand to Saudi Arabia
The ar-Raqqah provincial division of the Islamic State (IS) released a posthumous video of a Saudi suicide bomber inciting his fellow countrymen to wage jihad, and declaring that the IS will expand to Saudi Arabia.
- Jihadist Promotes IS Fighters Through Comparison to GTA V Video Game
A jihadist promoted military operations by the Islamic State (IS) by way of comparing them to actions in the popular video game "Grand Theft Auto V," and writing "Your games which are producing [sic] from you we do the same actions in the battelfields [sic] !!"
- Afghan Taliban Slams U.S.-Led Coalition Against IS in Iraq and Syria
The Afghan Taliban slammed the U.S.-led coalition against the Islamic State (IS) in Iraq and Syria, believing that America is dragging its allies into another war in the region, the only victims of which will be innocent Muslims.
- IS Releases Trailer for Forthcoming Video “Flames of War”
Al-Hayat Media Center, the Western-language division of the Islamic State (IS), released a trailer for a forthcoming video production entitled “Flames of War”.
- Pro-Hezbollah Forum Members Discuss ISIS Actions on Lebanese
Members of the pro-Hezbollah forum Qawem discussed videos of the Islamic State (ISIS) that shows the group's criminal actions. In a September 10, 2014 thread entitled "Will the Lebanese unite ... read the details?!," posters discussed videos allegedly released by ISIS that show torture and beheadings, including that of two Lebanese soldiers.
- Pro-IS Jihadi Media Group Spearheads Twitter Campaign Promoting Emigration to Join IS
The pro-IS al-Battar Media Foundation spearheaded a Twitter campaign in Arabic and English encouraging Muslims to emigrate to Iraq and Syria to join the Islamic State.
- Jihadist Warns of Attacks on Americans, U.S. Allies in Event of War on IS
A jihadist warned the American people and the peoples of nations allied with the U.S. that if their respective governments continue to pursue military action against the Islamic State (IS), it will lead to an "equal reaction of the same strength in targeting the American depth and also the nations allied to it and in all aspects".
- Jihadists Discuss Suggestion for IS to Enter Iran, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia
A jihadist suggested that the Islamic State (IS) enter Iran, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia in order to disorganize the enemies' plans against the group, and reduce the pressure in Iraq and Syria.
- IS Beheads Briton David Haines, Threatens to Execute Another Briton, Alan Henning
The Islamic State (IS) released a video of beheading its British captive David Cawthorne Haines and threatening to execute another Briton, Alan Henning.
- Islamic State VK Accounts Taken Down, Three Remaining
All but three Islamic State (IS) accounts on VK, a Russian social networking website, were taken down in the last 24 hours.
- Jihadist Finds IS’ Announcement of Caliphate Equivalent to Joy of 9/11
A jihadist expressed, and others concurred, that they are no longer disappointed when a 9/11 anniversary passes without an attack, because of the joy they feel for the announcement of the "Caliphate" by the Islamic State (IS).
- Pro-IS Jihadist Distributes Alleged English Magazine of al-Nusra Front
A pro-Islamic State (IS) jihadist distributed the first issue of an English-language magazine allegedly published by the al-Nusra Front, and mocked it for being "amateur" compared to the IS' Dabiq magazine.
- IS Publishes Pictures from Training Camp in Aleppo, Public Viewing of Video on Tabqa Airport Capture
The Islamic State (IS) published pictures from its "Shadad al-Tunisi" training camp in Syria's Aleppo governorate, and from a public viewing of its recently released video on the capture of the Tabqa military airport in ar-Raqqah.
- Head of Ahrar al-Sham, Several Officials Killed in Alleged IS Suicide Bombing in Idlib
The Islamic Front (IF), one of the largest jihadi umbrella groups in Syria, announced that the head of the Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement, one of its constituent factions, and several of its officials were killed as a result of a car bombing in Idlib governorate.
- About SITE
Executive Director of the SITE Intelligence Group
Rita Katz is the Executive Director and founder of the SITE Intelligence Group, the world’s leading non-governmental counterterrorism organization specializing in tracking and analyzing online activity of the global extremist community. Ms. Katz has tracked and analyzed global terrorist and jihadi networks for over two decades, and is well-recognized as one of the most knowledgeable and reliable experts in the field.
Ms. Katz has infiltrated terrorist fronts undercover, testified before Congress and in terrorism trials, and briefed officials at the White House and the Departments of Justice, Treasury, and Homeland Security. Her investigations and testimony have driven action by several governments against terror-linked organizations and individuals. She has provided counterterrorism training sessions to military leadership, intelligence analysts and law enforcement agents from numerous government agencies in the U.S. and abroad. She has led numerous workshops for non-governmental organizations and academic audiences.
For her unique contributions to FBI counterterrorism investigations, Ms. Katz received special recognition from FBI Director Robert Mueller for her "outstanding assistance to the FBI in connection with its investigative efforts."
Outlets to profile Ms. Katz have included the New Yorker, the New York Times, and 60 Minutes. Her commentary on the recruitment, financing, and operations of terrorist organizations regularly appears in leading media outlets such as The New York Times. Reuters, CNN, and The Huffington Post. She is also a regular contributor to The Washington Post, VICE News, The International Business Time, and other publications.
Born in Iraq and a graduate of Middle Eastern Studies at Tel Aviv University, Ms. Katz is fluent in Arabic.
The multi-lingual staff at SITE has years of experience in the research and analysis of terrorist networks, including monitoring jihadist propaganda, studying trends within the online jihadist community, and understanding how jihadist groups utilize the Internet.
SENIOR ADVISERSBruce Hoffman
Professor Bruce Hoffman has been studying terrorism and insurgency for more than thirty years. He is currently a tenured professor in the Security Studies Program at Georgetown University's Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Washington, DC. Professor Hoffman previously held the Corporate Chair in Counterterrorism and Counterinsurgency at the RAND Corporation and was also Director of RAND's Washington, DC Office. A revised and updated edition of his acclaimed 1998 book, Inside Terrorism, was published in May 2006.Rohan Gunaratna
Rohan Gunaratna is Head of the International Centre for Political Violence and Terrorism Research, Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies in Singapore. He holds a masters degree in international peace studies from Notre Dame, US, where he was Hesburgh Scholar and a doctorate in international relations from St. Andrews, where he was British Chevening Scholar. He is the author of 12 books including Inside Al Qaeda: Global Network of Terror, published by Columbia University Press, an international bestseller.
SITE Intelligence Group is committed to eradicating all forms of violent extremism and terrorism. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination against any religion, nationality, race, or language, and we strongly feel that such discrimination only exacerbates a cycle of radicalization and violence.
- IS al-Bayan Provincial News Recaps for June 28, 2016
The Islamic State (IS) released the June 28, 2016 English edition of its al-Bayan provincial news bulletin, which included recaps of operations in Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Libya, and Egypt.