- Update: Forum Announces Open Q&A Session with German Jihadis in Waziristan
Responding to an invitation to submit questions for German fighters in Waziristan, members asked for descriptions of the radicalization process, information on how the German fighters made their way from the West to Pakistan, and updates about the status of the conflict in Pakistan.
- Jihadi Forum Member Continues Issuing Advice From a Fighter
A jihadi forum member shared a series of messages containing advice allegedly from a jihadi fighter. The four-part series was shared on the Jamia Hafsa jihadi forum on December 24 and 25, 2013 in a discussion thread titled "A MUJAHIDS ADVICE."
- Jihadi Appeals For Financial Assistance to Mujahideen
A jihadi forum member issued an appeal for supporters to fund jihad.
- Alleged Fighter Advises Western Muslims Participate in Defense of Islam
Writing on a jihadi forum, a user shared a three-part series of "advice" inciting Muslims in the West to heed stories of the subjugation of Muslims around the world and rally to their defense.
- Targeting Family of Military Agents During Holidays, Markets Suggested
Members of a jihadi forum debated whether the mujahideen should strike family members of military members in order to "take revenge" against the Pakistani army for "crimes" against Muslims.
- Jihadi Administrator Suggests Tactics for Attacking Media Sites
In response to a communiqué from the "Ansar-ul-Imam al-Mahdi Jihadi Organisation" declaring their intent to attack cable television operations, a jihadi forum administrator proposed a refinement of the promised attacks.
- Jihadi Forum Member Names Pakistani Army As Primary Target
A new member of a jihadi forum shared an essay identifying the Pakistani armed services as the primary opponent of Muslims, and attempted to rouse readers to target the military by listing its alleged malfeasance against Muslims generally and the jihadi movement in particular.
- Update: Slain British Fighter Memorialized, Hailed as Inspirational
Additional details about the death of Ifthekar Jaman, British jihadi from Portsmouth, were shared online, along with messages attesting to his impact and memorializing his death.
- Western Jihadi in Syria Holds Open Q&A
A jihadi claiming to be a Western fighter in Syria held an open question and answer period, providing responses to questions on topics such as how fighters adjust to the unfamiliarity of life in Syria and the loss of comrades, the place for women in the conflict, and whether jihadi fighters are following appropriate interpretations of Islam.
- Forum Announces Open Q&A Session with German Jihadis in Waziristan
A senior member of an English and Urdu-language jihadi forum announced an open question and answer session with German fighters in Waziristan.
- Forum Members Strategize How US-Based Jihadis Can Avoid Intel Scrutiny
A member of a jihadi forum solicited recommendations for how to avoid the attention of American intelligence services.
- British Jihadi in Syria Reported Dead
A British jihadi who has been sharing updates of his experiences in Syria was reported to have died in the country.
- Jihadis Circulate Letter from Imprisoned Iranians to European Muslims
A letter purporting to be from Sunni prisoners in Iran charged the Iranian government with repressing Sunni Muslims and exhorted European Muslims to assist their co-religionists.
- Jihadi Advised to Spy on Family Members For Mujahideen in Update
Users of a jihadi forum provided guidance to a fellow member who claimed to have family members who work for the state security services and government.
- Alleged Ahrar al-Sham Member Joins Twitter, Incites, Shares Fighter Stories
An alleged member of a Syrian jihadi group, the Ahrar al-Sham Islamic Movement, began posting from an English-language Twitter account on December 11, 2013, encouraging foreigners to join the group and sharing stories of individual fighters.
- Update: Forum Member Incites Bangladeshis to Exchange Protests for Jihad
Following the December 12, 2013 execution of Islamist leader Abdul Quader Molla, a user of a jihadi forum called for jihad in Bangladesh.
- Update: Jihadi Announces Syrian Camp Honoring Slain Pakistani Imam
On December 11, 2013, Ansar al-Islam announced that it had "graduated" fighters from a camp named in honor of the slain Pakistani cleric, Abdul Rashid Ghazi.
- Bangladeshis Chastised For Seeking Change Without Jihad
Prompted by circulating petitions imploring the Bangladeshi government to stay the execution of Abdul Quader Molla, a former Bangladeshi politician convicted of war crimes, members of a jihadi forum opined that Bangladeshis should be seeking change through jihad.
- New Albanian Jihadi Forum Announced
Members of an English-language jihadi forum were informed of the creation of an Albanian jihadi forum in a December 10, 2013 message.
- Jihadi Asks About Obligation to Fight Family Members
A member of a jihadi forum claiming to be a member of the mujahideen in Afghanistan asked whether family members opposed to jihad are obligatory to fight.
- Alleged Jihadi Describes Interrogation of Suspected Spy
Posting on social media, an alleged English-speaking jihadi fighter in Syria related an incident in which jihadis interrogated a suspected spy based on a combatant's dream.
- British Fighter in Syria Shares Items to Consider When Packing For Jihad
A jihadi fighter in Syria has been interacting with supporters online, issuing advice to aspiring combatants and heavily recruiting female jihadi sympathizers to emigrate to Syria.
- Online Security, Information Gathering, Analyzed on Jihadi Forum
Prompted by a discussion of security pitfalls that can befall aspiring fighters, members of a jihadi forum exchanged advice on how to secure their online activities.
- Jihadi Describes Operation of Pakistani Shura Councils, Election of Leaders
Prompted by the Tehrik-e-Taliban's announcement that they had elected a replacement for slain leader Hakimullah Mehsud, a member of a jihadi forum inquired about the operation of shura- or consultative- councils that appoint jihadi leaders.
- Al-Nusra Front Video Shows Raid on Border Stations in Deraa
The al-Nusra Front, an al-Qaeda branch in Syria, released a video of its February 10, 2013, raid on two border stations in Deraa governorate.
- New Twitter Account Incites Maldivians to Fight in Syria
Using social media, an alleged consortium of jihadi militants from the Maldives issued a stream of messages encouraging Maldivians to fight jihad in Syria.
- TTP Encouraged to Assassinate Pakistani Media Workers
In a message posted to the Facebook account of former Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) spokesman Sajjad Momand, a user of the social networking site asked why the group has not killed any media workers.
- Danish Combatant in Syria Answers Questions Posed by Followers
A Danish jihadi who has been using social media to describe his experiences fighting in Syria and encourage Western Muslims to join in the conflict answered questions posed by supporters, including descriptions of nationalities of the many Western jihadis that he has met; the process of joining Syrian jihadi groups; avenues into Syria; and the logistics of maintaining internet access.
- Media Group Issues Video Praising Bin Laden
The "Enter The Truth" jihadi media organization distributed a video extolling the personality of Usama bin Laden, and presenting him as a humble, modest, and devout leader.
- Jihadis Warn Prospective Fighters About Traps, Provide Security Advice
Jihadi forum members discussed the arrest of a prospective militant arrested in the United States, parsing reports for security lessons applicable to other Western fighters.
- Jihadi Recommends Syria Over Afghanistan
Writing on a jihadi forum, a militant suggested that English speakers would have a better experience participating in the Syrian conflict instead of fighting in Afghanistan.
- Jihadis Encourage Asian Muslims to Fight in Burma, Syria, and Yemen
Jihadi Facebook users praised an Indonesian militant in Syria, praying for Allah to reward him, and encouraging fellow nationals to look to the battlefields of the mujahideen.
- Jihadis Distribute Communiqué from “Group of Tawheed and Jihad In Kosovo,” Report Arrests
Members of an English-language jihadi forum distributed a communiqué from the "Group of Tawheed and Jihad in Kosovo" threatening attacks unless six terrorism suspects arrested at the beginning of November are released.
- Jihadi Encourages Local Combat
A jihadi forum member shared messages encouraging western jihadis to work within their countries and undermine the enemy.
- Twitter Account Incites for Lone Wolf Operations in US
A jihadi incited for lone wolf attacks in the United States, using Twitter to call upon American jihadis to "start your own jihad" if unable leave the country.
- Jihadi Attempts to Coordinate Hacking of Facebook Account
A jihadi forum member alerted readers to an allegedly anti-jihad Facebook account and encouraged users to hack the page.
- Jihadis Share Frustration With Inability to Engage In Battle
Responding to a poem shared on a jihadi forum that expressed frustration with the author's inability to join combatants, participants on a jihadi forum reflected on the relative merits of the "keyboard jihad" with leaving for battle.
- Essay Reminds Jihadis Not to Lose Focus on Local Conflicts
A member of a jihadi forum issued an essay encouraging militants to focus their attention on local conflicts rather than fixate completely on the Syrian battle.
- Jihadi Announces Suicide Attack Against Chinese Forces
A jihadi forum member announced that a "new martyrdom operation" was conducted against Chinese forces in eastern Turkistan.
- Jihadis Call for Death of Pakistani Political Commentator
Jihadi forum members called for the death of Pakistani political commenter Ziad Hamid for his comments on the mujahideen.
- Western Forum Member Describes Friend Preparing to Depart for Jihad
A member of an English-language jihadi forum announced that a close friend is getting ready to leave the West for the jihadi battlegrounds.
- Jihadi Announces Syrian Camp Commemorating Slain Pakistani Imam
A jihadi announced that Ansar al-Islam in Syria had established a training camp in honor of Abdul Rashid Ghazi, an Islamist Pakistani cleric and former leader of the Lal Masjid and Jamia Hafsa complex.
- Jihadis Compile Weapons Manuals, Discuss Online Training
A jihadi forum member compiled download links for ten episodes of a Uygher-language weapons training program produced by the Turkistan Islamic Party, instigating a discussion among jihadis about strategies of obtaining weapons training online.
- Jihadi Threatens Prominent Islamic Scholar
Jihadi forum members threatened the Islamic scholar Imran Husein for his position on Shia Muslims.
- Western Jihadis Encouraged to Sabotage, Wreak Havoc
Jihadis encouraged Western jihadi sympathizers to seek opportunities to weaken the West and opportunities to enhance global jihad.
- Belgian Preacher Announces Joining al-Qaeda, Arrival in Syria
Iliass Azaouaj, a preacher from Brussels, announced his embrace of jihad and participation in the Syrian jihad in messages and a video posted to social media sites on November 7 and 8, 2013.
- Jihadi Forum Members Continue Calls For Vengeance After Death of TTP Leader
Contributors on a jihadi forum continued their calls for vengeance after the November 1, 2013 death of TTP leader Hakimullah Mehsud.
- Jihadi Shares Wish For Battle In India, Support From Foreign Fighters
Writing to a jihadi forum, a new member introduced himself as an Indian Muslim convert and asked for help in establishing a jihadi front in the country.
- Jihadi Calls for TTP to Target Pakistani Media
A jihadi forum member called on the mujahideen to target media companies, presenting them as a source of corruption of the Muslim Ummah.
- Forum Members Advise Western-Based Jihadi
Jihadis encouraged a forum member living in the West and supporting his family to seek alternative means of supporting jihad.
- Harkat Ansar Iran Promotes Jihadi Lifestyle, Adventure
The media wing of Harkat Ansar Iran, a Baluchistan-based Sunni jihadi group, has distributed a series of English-language posters extolling the lifestyle of jihad and encouraging readers to view participation as a source of adventure and brotherhood.
- Jihadis Pledge to Avenge TTP Leader, Claim Peace Talks Are Traps
Members of English-language jihadi forums lamented the November 1, 2013 death of TTP leader Hakimullah Mehsud in an American drone strike, calling for vengeance and accusing the United States of using the promise of peace talks as cover for locating and targeting jihadi leaders.
- Jihadi Notes Flow of Fighters from Pakistan to Syria, Rebukes Analysis
A senior jihadi forum member remarked on the flow of fighters from Afghanistan to Syria as part of a message chastising a forum user for denigrating the Afghan Taliban's commitment to the jihadi cause.
- Jihadi Announces That Recent Convert Will Fight in Syria, Recruits Others
A Syrian combatant active on Twitter issued a series of messages announcing that a recently converted friend of his intends to fight in Syria, shared images of a fighter killed "moments ago," and provided updates about his own activity.
- Western Fighter in Syria Encourages Recruits, Shares Updates, Pictures
A jihadi claiming to be fighting on the battlefields of Syria posted a series of English-language messages to a social media account encouraging Western readers to join the conflict and promised a forthcoming biography of eight foreign fighters.
- Jihadis Celebrate Documentary Showing Spread of Jihad in Libya and Afghanistan
Supporters welcomed the release of the fourth installment of a documentary-style video series, "The Light Revelations," that compiles news and analysis from both jihadi and Western media sources into a jihadi-supporting narrative of international events.
- Facebook Page Encourages Funding for Jihad
Harkat Ansar Iran, a Baluchistan-based jihadi group, appealed for financial support through their Facebook page.
- Forum Members Advise On Traveling For Jihad
A jihadi turned to fellow jihadi forum members for advice on joining the mujahideen, initiating an exchange about the best ways for to enter Afghanistan for jihad.
- Jihadi Shares Suggestions to Adapt Tor Use After NSA Leaks
A jihadi forum moderator encouraged forum users to closely follow news about the American National Security Agency's attempts to exploit vulnerabilities in the Tor network of proxies and to adjust their online usage.
- Jihadis Incite Pakistani Muslims to Combat
Members of a jihadist forum shared their belief that it is incumbent upon all Muslims in Pakistan to either "rush to jihad" or leave the country for a land that is controlled by the Mujahideen.
- Jihadi Draws Security Lessons From Capture of Abu Anas al-Libi
A jihadi forum member presented security lessons to draw from the October 5, 2013 capture of Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai (AKA Abu Anas al-Libi) in Tripoli, Libya.
- Jihadis List Battlefields, Share Image of Philippine Mujahideen
Jihadi forum members listed active, and hoped-for, battlefields of jihad along with a notation for those that are a "new front" and shared images purporting to show jihadis in the Philippines.
- Jihadists Exchange Advice on Joining Jihadi Groups
In continued activity on a discussion thread established to provide advice for entering Syria, members of a jihadi forum provided general advice for prospective fighters.
- Jihadi Forum Members Accuse American Firm of Bombings in Pakistan
Participants on an English and Urdu language jihadi forum accused the American private military company Academi, formerly Blackwater, of carrying out a series of recent attacks in the Pakistani city of Peshawar, including dual bombings targeting a market that killed 37 on September 29, 2013.
- British Jihadist in Syria Extolls Jihad, Describes Western Fighters
A British jihadist in Syria who has claimed to be based in Portsmouth, England has been using Twitter to incite Western Muslims to join the Syrian conflict.
- Jihadis Use Social Media to Mobilize Against Shia In Maldives
A jihadi active on social media sites has been using Facebook and Twitter to rally Maldivians to rise up against Shia Muslims in the country.
- Jihadi Forum Members Debate Suggestion to Open TTP Office
Members of a Pakistan-centric jihadi forum debated the merits of a proposal from Pakistani politician Imran Khan for the Pakistani Taliban to open an official office in Pakistan in order to facilitate peace negotiations.
- Danish Jihadi Chronicles Experiences Fighting in Syria, Recruits
A recent European emigrant to Syria has been describing life among the mujahideen in Syria, promoting the jihadi lifestyle and encouraging prospective mujahideen to leave for battle.
- Jihadi Forum Members Celebrate Westgate Mall Attack
Members of English-language jihadist forums expressed their enthusiasm for the Shabaab al-Mujahideen's attack against the Westgate Mall in Nairobi, Kenya that has resulted in the deaths of at least 60 people and a continuing siege between jihadist fighters and Kenyan security forces.
- Jihadist Calls Muslims to Aid Resistance Against Iran With Arms and Funds
Using social networking accounts, a jihadist who has frequently associated himself with the Baluchistan-based "Ansar Iran Movement" jihadist group exhorted Sunni Muslims to provide arms and funds for the struggle against Iran.
- Jihadists Strategize to Evade Facebook Restrictions
Contributors to a jihadist forum shared strategies for sidestepping Facebook's censorship of jihadi and violent pages.
- Jihadi Page Announces Permission to Target Shia
A jihadi Facebook page featured a message from the page administration declaring that the blood of Shia Muslims is "lawful" due to violence against Sunni Muslism in Syria.
- Jihadists Share Intent, Discuss Conditions For Joining Mujahideen In Syria
In a series of discussion threads, a prominent jihadist forum member described the process and connections needed to join the mujahideen in Syria and warned that the largest groups are difficult to enter.
- Jihadists Assess Security of iPhones, iOS7
Members of an English-language jihadist forum debated the security risks posed by Apple's iPhones.
- Jihadists Call to Avenge Violated Muslim Women
Sharing reports of widespread assaults against women during riots in the Indian province of Uttar Pradesh, members of a jihadist forum called on Muslims to make preparations to avenge violence against Muslim women.
- Jihadists Respond to Navy Yard Shooting, Accuse Buddhists of Violence
In responding to the September 16, 2013 shooting at the Washington D.C. Navy Yard that left 13 dead, members of a jihadi forum both celebrated the attack and likened the attack, carried out by an American convert to Buddhism, to sectarian violence against Muslims in Myanmar.
- Jihadi Page Calls Muslims to Engage in Resistance in Philippines
A jihadi Facebook page directed jihadists to support MNLF rebels in the Philippines and celebrated a week-long hostage crisis the Philippines city of Zamboanga.
- Canadian Convert Reported Dead in Syria
A Canadian convert to Islam using the name "Abu Muslim" was reported to have died during the August 5, 2013 assault on the Minnigh military airport in Syria's Aleppo governorate.
- Jihadi Social Media Accounts Call To Target Miss World Pageant
Jihadi users of social networking sites opposed the 63rd edition of the Miss World tournament, which is being held in Bali, Indonesia.
- Jihadi Page Congratulates Female Fighter
A jihadist Facebook page shared an image of a female fighter, addressing her as an acquaintance and congratulating the woman for following through on her decision to become a combatant.
- Facebook Page Eulogizes Dutch Fighters in Syria, Extolls Benefits of Jihad
A Facebook page, titled "Nederlandse Mujahideen in Syrië," shares content from Dutch jihadists in Syria, presenting Dutch-language updates and editorials.
- Prospective Jihadists Seek Facilitators, Syria Travel Information Online
Using the Facebook social networking site and a password-protected jihadi forum, prospective jihadists sought information on travel to Syria.
- Third Episode in “The Forgotten Obligation” Series Names Six Danish Enemies of Islam
The third installment of “The Forgotten Obligation” video series profiling Danish jihadists in Syria addressed the need to remain mindful of the enemies of Allah.
- Jihadist Notes Availability of Weapons in US, Urges Purchase for Operation
A jihadi forum member urged North American jihadists to exploit the United States' aversion to gun control in order to obtain weapons for operations.
- Jihadist Suggests Targeting Karachi Gay Community
A jihadi forum member encouraged militants to use a recently published BBC News article as a source of targets for attacks against the Karachi gay community.
- Jihadists Encourage American-Based User To Forsake Education For Jihad
Members of a jihadi forum encouraged a user who claimed to be located in the United States to halt his studies and seek out jihad.
- Danish Jihadist Promises Honor, Invites Fighters To Syria
Danish jihadist Abu Musa reminded foreign fighters in Syria of the blessings of Allah and instructed Western Muslims to emigrate in the second episode of the Danish-language "The Forgotten Obligation" video series.
- Jihadists Name Nidal Hasan as Role Model For Muslim Troops
In response to the death sentence passed down to Nidal Malik Hasan on August 28, 2103, jihadist forum members shared their admiration for the Amy psychiatrist as well as their belief that Western democracy and judicial systems are inherently corrupt.
- Forum Member Calls Jihadists to Join Him in Syria With ISIL
In a series of messages posted to an English-language jihadist forum, a jihadi called on users to join him in Syria, adding that "all brothers and sisters who choose to come are welcome."
- Jihadists Respond to Release of Mobile Encryption Program
Jihadist forum members respond to the Global Islamic Media Front's newly released mobile encryption program, Tashfeer al-Jawwal. In September 4 and 5, 2013 discussions on the Jamia Hafsa and Ansar al-Mujahideen English Forum (AMEF), users both expressed admiration for the GIMF and expressed their concern that using the service would open a jihadist up to additional scrutiny.
- Danish Jihadist Calls European Muslims to Emigrate to Syria
An interview with a Danish jihadist, Abu Musa, in which he called on listeners to leave Europe for Syria was distributed to an English-language jihadist forum, where it was met with support.
- Urdu, English Poison and Explosives Manuals Distributed on Forum
Users of a jihadist forum distributed Urdu and English-language manuals for poisons and explosives training.
- Jihadist Urges Western Muslims to Action, Lists Priorities
A jihadist forum member provided a 6-point assessment of the priorities for Western jihadists.
- Syrian Mujahid Rallies Muslims To Action After Deaths
A video of Syrian jihadist calling for Muslims to unify and participate in a revolution to establish an Islamic community was distributed to social networking sites and jihadi forums in the wake of accusations of chemical weapons attacks on rebel-held areas of Damascus.
- Jihadist Forum Member Solicits Bomb Making Instructions
A member of an English-language jihadist forum requested an instructional video for bomb-making.
- Jihadist Seeks Guidance On Leaving Family For Combat
A jihadist forum member asked for judgments on whether it is permissible to leave his family to engage in jihad.
- Australian Imam Calls For Jihadi Violence And Overthrow Of Egyptian State
The Facebook page for Musa Cerantonio, an Australian Imam, featured an essay calling for the establishment of jihadi groups in Egypt and appeals for the establishment of an Islamic State in the Sinai.
- Western Jihadists Encouraged To Plan Lone Wolf Attacks
A jihadi forum member incited Western Muslims to carry out lone wolf attacks, identifying such operations as the most important actions to help the jihadi cause.
- Jihadists Claim Shia Must Be Killed If Unrepentant
Members of a jihadist forum counseled that followers of Shia Islam, and Alawites in particular, are not Muslims and are legitimate targets for attack unless they renounce their faith.
- Jihadists Predict Benefit To Jihad From India-Pakistan War
Jihadists hypothesized about the consequences a war between India and Pakistan would have for the jihadi movement, concluding that the ensuing diversion of Pakistani focus and resources would be a boon for jihadi groups.