- Pro-IS Twitter Accounts Circulate Rules of What Not to Post on Social Media
Islamic State (IS) fighters and supporters on Twitter have begun circulating a list of rules regarding what IS-related information not to post on social media.
- Jihadists Discuss Upcoming Anti-Islam Protest in London, Obligatory Response
Jihadist fighters and supporters on Twitter brought attention to an upcoming anti-Islamist protest by a British nationalist organization and the Islamic obligation for response.
- IS Fighters and Supporters Discuss Religious Taxes, Utility Provisions as Potential Propaganda
Islamic State (IS) fighters and supporters on Twitter discussed alleged taxes on Christians under the group’s rule as a point for propaganda.
- IS Fighters Make Lengthy Calls for Donations on WordPress, Twitter Accounts
A Canadian Islamic State (IS) fighter issued appeals for Muslims unable to migrate to IS to make donations instead.
- IS Fighter’s Essays Make Plea for Muslim Doctors, Highlight Other Job Opportunities
Jihadists on Twitter have been circulating two essays written by an alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter urging Muslim doctors to join the group and highlighting other job opportunities for non-fighters.
- American IS Fighter Calls for Donations, Lone Wolf Attacks in Western Countries
An alleged American fighter with the Islamic State (IS) called for donations and lone wolf attacks in the West on Twitter, with one message alleging another’s plan to perform such an attack.
- Jihadists Circulate Guide to Recover From Twitter Suspensions
Jihadists have begun circulating a manual on Twitter providing instructions on how to recover followers after being suspended.
- British IS Fighter Calls for Attacks on Counter-Extremism Group
An alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter encouraged Muslims to carry out lone-wolf attacks on the Quilliam Foundation, a UK-based counter-extremism group.
- IS Fighters and Supporters Call for Lone Wolf Attacks, Suggest Methods
Various accounts of Islamic State (IS) fighters and supporters called on Muslims to perform lone wolf attacks within their own countries in recent days, some suggesting methods to do so.
- IS Supporters Circulate Essay by Fighter Refuting Reports that Group Kills Innocent Civilians
Jihadist accounts on Twitter have been circulating an essay by an alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter defected from al-Nusra Front arguing against reports of IS killing innocent civilians under its rule.
- IS Supporter Claims Prospects Don’t Need Verification to Join Group
The Twitter account of an Islamic State (IS) supporter assured prospective recruits on Twitter that they would not need verification to enter the group in its controlled areas.
- Fighters Discuss Fear of Loud, Sudden Noises Following Traumatic Experiences
Alleged jihadi fighters on Twitter claimed to have developed anxiety triggered by loud and sudden noises after traumatic experiences.
- Alleged IS Fighter Encourages Lone Wolves to Poison Neighbors
An alleged fighter with the Islamic State (IS) called for lone wolf attacks by Muslims and suggested methods to do so, including poisoning one’s neighbors.
- British IS Fighter Incites for Attacks against UK Home Secretary, Politicians
The account of an alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter called upon Muslims in the United Kingdom to kill British Home Secretary Theresa May.
- Pro-IS Twitter Accounts Make Calls, Warnings of Lone Wolf Attacks
The accounts of an Islamic State (IS) supporter and alleged resident on Twitter called for lone wolf attacks in unconnected messages.
- IS Fighter Writes Essay Explaining Defection from Nusra Front, Prompts Rebuttal from Former IS Fighter
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter circulated a post detailing reasons why he decided to leave al-Qaeda’s branch in Syria, al-Nusra Front.
- Jihadist Document Advises Proper Conduct to Migrant Fighters, Embrace of Non-Jihadist Groups
Pro-al-Qaeda (AQ) accounts on Twitter began circulating a document containing a series of suggestions to jihadist fighters—particularly migrants.
- British IS Supporter Assures Equal “Reward” for Jailed Jihadi Migrants, Instructs against Paying Taxes
A prominent British Islamic State (IS) supporter detailed what he claimed to be the Islamic permissibility, requirements, and rewards for Muslims in prison; and claimed that Muslims should avoid paying taxes.
- IS Fighters and Supporters Welcome Boko Haram Pledge, Tout International Network
Twitter accounts of Islamic State (IS) fighters and supporters offered welcoming messages to the Nigeria-based jihadist group Jama’at Ahl al-Sunnah Lil Dawa Wal Jihad (AKA Boko Haram) after its leader, Abu Bakr Shekau, recently pledged allegiance to IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- Forum Member Proposes IS Supporters Better Engage in “Media War,” Offers Detailed Suggestions
A member of a prominent English-language jihadist forum proposed that Islamic State (IS) supporters better engage in the “media war” by utilizing various communication channels, including radio, newspaper, and billboards.
- Pro-IS Accounts Circulate “Marriage Facts,” Detailing Procedures and Rituals under Group
Pro-Islamic State (IS) accounts on Twitter have begun circulating a document of “marriage facts” regarding weddings under the group.
- Nusra Front Fighter Implies Discord in Aleppo, Solicits Fighters to Relocate with him to Qalamoun
An alleged fighter with al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda’s (AQ) affiliate group in Syria, discussed his frustration with what he implied to be discord among forces in Aleppo, and solicited other fighters to join him in relocating to the Qalamoun region of Syria.
- Jihadists in Syria Allege IS Defection Process to be “Brain Washing Camp”
Alleged jihadi fighters in Syria discussed their companions’ accounts of the Islamic State’s (IS) required procedures for those defecting to the group, characterizing them as part of a “brain washing camp.”
- IS “Medical Doctor” Touts Completion of Alleged Medical College Examinations
An alleged “Muhajir Medical Doctor” living in the Islamic State (IS) told followers on Twitter that registration examinations for the purported IS Medical College in ar-Raqqa had been completed.
- Nusra Front Fighter Forwards Alleged IS Fighter’s Claims of Instability within IS
An alleged fighter with al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda’s Syrian affiliate, posted a message on Twitter claiming there to be instability within the Islamic State (IS) in ar-Raqqa, citing a purported secondhand source as stating that the IS-controlled city to be “a soup” of infighting.
- Fighters and Supporters Living Under IS Discuss Presence of Slaves
Fighters and supporters of the Islamic State (IS) discussed the alleged presence of slaves under IS rule.
- IS Fighters and Supporters Persist with Threats to “Conquer Rome”
Fighters and supporters of the Islamic State (IS) on Twitter have persisted with a hashtag threatening Italy. Following the February 15, 2015 release of “A Message Signed with Blood to the Nation of the Cross, wherein IS fighters executed a line of Egyptian Christians, users began echoing the lead executor’s threat that IS will “will conquer Rome.”
- British IS Fighter Calls for Beheadings of Soldiers in UK, Claims being Radicalized by Media
The account of an alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter called for the beheading of British soldiers in wake of the conviction of Brustholm Ziamani, a British teenager, for plotting to kill a soldier.
- Nusra Front Fighter Comments on Polygamy under Group, IS Immolation of Kasasibah
An alleged fighter with al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda’s Syrian affiliate, described sentiments in Syria regarding polygamy under the group and also commented on the Islamic State’s (IS) burning of Jordanian pilot Mu’adh al-Kasasibah.
- Newly Arrived South African IS Fighter Offers Help with Migration
An alleged South African jihadist who claimed to have recently arrived to the Islamic State (IS)-controlled territory offered assistance in joining the group.
- IS Beheading of Egyptians in Libya Invokes Mixed Reactions Across Jihadist Community
Reactions to “A Message Signed with Blood to the Nation of the Cross,” an Islamic State (IS) video showing the beheading of 21 Egyptian Christians in Libya, appear mixed across the online jihadist community.
- Copenhagen Attacks Draw Support from Jihadists on Twitter
Jihadists and jihadist supporters on social media responded to the February 14, 2015 attacks on a cafe and synagogue in Copenhagen in celebration.
- Nusra Front Fighter Cautions Western Muslims of Hostility from Westerners
Following the February 10, 2015 Chapel Hill, NC attacks, an alleged Dutch fighter with al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda’s (AQ) Syrian affiliate, warned Western Muslims of increasing hostility from non-Muslims and proposed possible safety measures.
- Jihadists Claim Media Double Standard in Chapel Hill Shooting, Call for Migration and Retaliation
After the shooting of three Muslim college students in Chapel Hill, NC, jihadists expressed outrage on Twitter over what they stated to be a lack of Western media coverage, while others called for retaliation and migration to jihadist fronts.
- Nusra Front Fighter Comments on Harakat Hazm Regarding Purportedly Mutual Umbrella Membership
An alleged fighter with al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda’s (AQ) Syrian affiliate group, provided a series of hostile messages regarding the reported entry of Harakat Hazm, a U.S.-backed rebel group, into a mutual umbrella group.
- AQAP Official Ibrahim al-Rubeish Gives Eulogy for Slain Senior Cleric Harith al-Nadhari
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) released a video from one of its top officials Ibrahim al-Rubeish, giving a eulogy for Harith bin Ghazi al-Nadhari, a slain senior cleric in the group.
- Jihadists on Forum, Social Media Condemn Immolation of Mu’adh al-Kasasibah
Jihadist fighters and supporters on both Twitter and a prominent English-language jihadist forum commented on the Islamic State's (IS) burning alive of Jordanian pilot Mu'adh al-Kasasibah.
- IS Fighter Forwards Lengthy Guides for Jihadist Migration
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter on Twitter forwarded a series of lengthy guides regarding migration to live under the group, laying out suggestions for packing, handling interrogations in Turkish airports, and crossing the Turkish border.
- IS Fighter Claims to Have Known Michael Adebolajo, Calls for his Release via Prisoner Exchange
An alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter claimed to have known Michael Adebolajo, the lone wolf jihadist who killed British soldier Lee Rigby in May 2013, and called for a prisoner exchange for him by IS in a series of tweets.
- IS Recruiter Posts Job Listing for English Teachers in ar-Raqqa
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter and recruiter posted a purported job listing for English teachers in ar-Raqqa.
- British IS Fighter Assures Turkish Border to be Passable, Encourages Taking Bank Loans to Finance Trip
An alleged British fighter and recruiter with the Islamic State (IS) assured followers on Ask.fm that the border from Turkey to Syria is still traversable, and suggested taking loans out of a bank as a religiously permissible method to fund one's migration.
- Nusra Front Fighters and Supporters Discuss Group’s Media Operation, Welcome Assistance
Fighters and supporters of al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda’s Syrian affiliate, discussed possible improvements for the group’s media operation, with one alleged fighter openly soliciting advice from the group’s followers.
- Nusra Front Fighter Solicits Media Specialists, Explains Difficulty for Westerners Seeking Marriage
An alleged fighter with al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda’s Syrian affiliate group, solicited media specialists and explained the supposed difficulty Westerner fighters experience when trying to get married in Syria.
- Nusra Front Fighter Claims Defectors to Group Following Reported Victory over Harakat Hazm Base
An alleged fighter with al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda's (AQ) Syrian affiliate group, claimed defectors from U.S.-backed rebel group Harakat Hazm following reported fighting with the group.
- IS Fighter and Recruiter Claims South American Fighters among Ranks
An alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter and recruiter claimed that the group holds Peruvian and Chilean fighters in its ranks.
- Female Jihadist Encourages Servitude from Wives, Promises Equal Reward as Martyrs
An alleged female jihadist living under the Islamic State (IS) encouraged servitude-based roles of fighters' wives and promised potentially equal spiritual reward as their husbands.
- Irish, British Twitter Users Call for Retaliation for Sales of Charlie Hebdo Magazine in Ireland
Two Twitter users, one an alleged Irish citizen and the other an alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter, called for retaliation for Ireland’s sale of Charlie Hebdo magazine issues and coming anti-terror legislation in the country.
- IS Fighter Encourages Lone Wolf Attacks against Police Officers, Soldiers in Arab Countries
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter and recruiter encouraged lone wolf jihad to a user implying hesitance in performing such attacks.
- British IS Fighter Echoes IS Spokesman’s Calls for Lone Wolf Attacks, Proposes Targets
An alleged British fighter with the Islamic State (IS) echoed IS spokesman Abu Muhammad al-'Adnani's January 26, 2015 speech, entitled, "Say, 'Die in Your Rage!'," wherein he called for lone wolf attacks in Western countries.
- IS Fighter Encourages Jihadists to Join Fight in Yemen
An alleged British fighter with the Islamic State (IS) encouraged jihadist migration to Yemen amid the country's current turmoil.
- Female Jihadist Claims Vast Public Services and Charity Under IS
An alleged female emigrant jihadist living in Raqqa under the Islamic State (IS) claimed a vast array of public and charitable services provided by the group.
- IS Fighter Solicits Incoming English, French Speaking Fighters to Join Westerner-Comprised Battalion
An alleged British fighter and recruiter with the Islamic State (IS) solicited English and French-speaking jihadists entering Syria to join a battalion of soldiers speaking the same languages.
- British IS Fighter Shares Alleged Details, Pictures of Migration to Syria
The Twitter account of an alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter provided details and pictures of what he claimed to be his migration to Syria.
- Shabaab Fighter Claims Decrease in Migrant Fighters amid Syrian Conflict, Prioritizes Syrian Jihad
An alleged American with the Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement, al-Qaeda's branch in Somalia, claimed a decrease in incoming migrant fighters in wake of the Syrian conflict and encouraged fighters to prioritize Syria over Somalia when leaving for jihad.
- IS Recruiter Prioritizes Jihad in Syria over Somalia
An alleged British fighter and prominent Islamic State (IS) recruiter answered a question regarding migration to Somalia by encouraging jihadists to travel to Syria instead.
- Jihadists Claim that Prominent Dutch Jihadist has Joined Islamic State
Jihadists on Twitter have begun claiming that prominent Dutch jihadist "Israfil Yilmaz," who has previously made numerous claims of not belonging to any particular group, has joined the Islamic State (IS) and is currently undergoing a Shariah course under the group.
- IS Fighter Explains Migration Process to Syria from Turkey, Indicates Assistance from Border Guards
An Islamic State (IS) fighter and recruiter provided insights into the process of entering Syria from Turkey and indicated ongoing assistance from Turkish border guards.
- IS Fighter Purports Past Crimes of Himself and TTP Jamat-ul-Ahrar Member, Makes Implied Call for Attacks
An alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter boasted alleged crimes of himself and a former Pakistani Army doctor before fleeing the U.K., and also made an implied call for lone wolf attacks there.
- Taliban Supporter Makes Call for Attack on Military Schools
A Taliban-supporting account on Twitter called for another attack on military schools in wake of Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan's (TTP) December 2014 attack on the Army Public School in Peshawar, Pakistan.
- Jihadists Fear Sedition in Their Areas Caused by the Islamic State
Jihadist supporters expressed fear of sedition among different groups in their areas in wake of a recently-released video showing Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) spokesman Abu Omar Maqbul announcing pledges to the Islamic State (IS).
- Wife of Jihadist Fighter Advises Female Prospects What to Expect When Married to a Fighter
The alleged wife of a jihadist fighter in Syria provided a detailed array of insights on Twitter regarding the roles and demands of jihadists' wives.
- Jihadists Discuss Methods of Planting Computer Viruses in Wake of “CyberCaliphate” Attack on CENTCOM
Jihadist-supporting accounts on Twitter shared a conversation on methods of attacking government computer networks following one user's call for another cyber-attack from the "CyberCaliphate" hacking group.
- Al-Nusra Front Fighter Claims Comradery with IS Fighters, Suggests Methods of Funding Migration to Syria
An alleged fighter with al-Nusra Front in Syria claimed good relations between some fighters from his group and those with the Islamic State (IS), while also providing suggestions on how to fund one's travel to Syria.
- Online Jihadist Community Scorns Moderate Muslims Following Charlie Hebdo Attack
Following the January 7, 2015 attack on the French satirical newspaper, Charlie Hebdo, the online jihadist community has begun to counter statements of condemnation from Muslims.
- AQAP Claims Killing 17 Houthis in Raid in al-Bayda’
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) claimed killing 17 Houthis in a raid on their positions in Rada' district in Yemen's al-Bayda' governorate.
- Umbrella Jihadist Media Group Calls for Hackers, Programmers to Support IS
A Twitter user copied and tweeted a media umbrella group's call for hackers, computer programmers, and other such specialists to support the Islamic State (IS).
- IS Fighter Implies Little Flexibility in Assigned Locations for Fighters
An Islamic State (IS) fighter answered a series of question on Ask.fm pertaining to flexibility of the group's assigning of location to fighters.
- IS Fighter Provides Account of Early Contention between IS and al-Nusra Front
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter provided an account of early contention between his group and al-Qaeda's (AQ) Syrian affiliate, al-Nusra Front, in a series of 20 tweets made on January 4, 2015.
- IS Fighter Claims Easy Access to Joining IS from Assad-Controlled Areas
An alleged fighter with the Islamic State (IS) claimed easy access for Syrians living under Assad to leave and fight under the group.
- IS Fighter Details Housing System for Married Couples, Women’s Driving Rights Under IS
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter provided details on housing for married couples and women being allowed to drive under IS rule.
- IS Fighter Claims that IS Killed a British Solider in Home, Calls for New Year’s Day Attacks in West
An alleged fighter with the Islamic State (IS) tweeted a claim that IS had "killed a British soldier in his own home," and also made an implied call for lone wolf attacks in the U.K. and France.
- IS Fighter Makes Argument for Lone Wolf Attacks, Claims Continuing Arrival of Foreign Fighters
An alleged fighter with the Islamic State (IS) posted multiple arguments for lone wolf jihad on his Ask.fm page, while also claiming a steady influx of emigrants to fight with the group.
- Jihadist-Supporting Twitter Account Suggests U.S. Embassies as Targets, Ricin as a Weapon
A jihadist-supporting Twitter account, after praising a recent jihadist publication, proposed U.S. embassies as targets and ricin as a possible weapon to be used by the Islamic State (IS).
- Jihadists Discuss Mainland Europe as Possible Location of Entry, Attack for Returning IS Fighters
An alleged fighter with the Islamic State (IS) discussed mainland (continental) Europe as a potential expanse for IS fighters looking to enter and attack Western nations.
- Jihadists Respond to IS’s Capture of Downed Jordanian Pilot with Celebration and Speculation
Upon the Islamic State’s (IS) capture of a downed Jordanian fighter pilot identified as First Lieutenant Mu’adh Yusuf al-Kasasbeh, jihadists on Twitter have begun celebrating the event and speculating what his treatment will be.
- IS Fighter Condones Fighting for IS From Libya
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter answered a question on Ask.fm regarding the prospect of fighting for the group from Libya.
- IS Supporter Calls for Lone Wolf and Sleeper Cell Attacks on Soldiers, Police Officers
An Islamic State (IS)-supporting account called for lone wolf and sleeper cell attacks by jihadists, specifying soldiers and police as targets.
- Pro-Jihad Twitter Users Debate Effectiveness of Lone Wolf Attacks
Jihadist-supporting accounts on Twitter discussed the possible productive and negative effects of lone wolf attacks.
- Jihadist Requests Literature on Killing American Women, Children, and Men
A member of a prominent jihadist forum requested references to Islamic literature pertaining to the killing of American citizens, including women, and children.
- IS Fighter Advises Followers to Bring Western Currency When Migrating
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter advised followers on Ask.fm to bring Western money when migrating to live under the group, claiming that such currency is easier to exchange.
- IS Fighters Discuss Dangers of Reporting Attacks on Social Media
Two alleged Islamic State (IS) fighters discussed potential dangers of reporting attacks on social media following one user's tweets regarding an alleged barrage of incoming missiles.
- Alleged IS Fighter Proposes Moderate Muslims as Targets
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter on Twitter proposed the idea of moderate Muslims being targets of attack by Islamic extremists.
- Jihadists Issue Calls for Lone Wolf Attacks on Twitter Following Sydney Siege
Following the recent hostage-taking by Man Haron Monis (AKA Sheikh Haron) in a Sydney café, jihadists on Twitter have erupted in a wave of threats and calls for lone wolf attacks.
- Widowed Jihadist under IS Recounts Late Husband’s Schedule, Life Away From Home as an IS Fighter
An alleged widowed jihadist living under the Islamic State (IS) recounted her late husband's work schedule, loss of close ones, and living conditions as a fighter for the group.
- Jihadist Twitter Campaign Addresses U.S. Injustices, Offers Shariah Law as Alternative
Jihadists on social media have begun using a hashtag to frame life under Sharia law as an alternative to injustices under American life.
- Jihadist Offers Location-Tracking Mobile App as a Spying Device
A member of a jihadist forum offered users a location-tracking mobile app to use for spying.
- Jihadist Recruiter Calls for Engineering, Medical Degree Holders to Migrate to IS
An Islamic State (IS) fighter and recruiter called for holders of engineering and medical degrees to use their skills under IS.
- Canadian IS Fighter Echoes Recent Call for Lone Wolf Attacks in Canada
A Canadian Islamic State (IS) fighter echoed a recent IS-released video's call for attacks within Canada, and offered justification for any such action.
- Twitter Users Discuss Riyadh Drive-By Shooting, Permissibility of Killing Non-Soldiers
Two Twitter users shared a discussion regarding the justification of killing non-combative targets as prompted by a December 1, 2014 video of a Danish citizen allegedly being shot at in the Saudi capital city of Riyadh by Islamic State (IS) supporters.
- Female IS Recruiter Suggests Ways for Women, Non-Fighters to Assist Jihad
A female recruiter living under the Islamic State (IS) suggested different roles for non-fighters—particularly women—to assist in jihad.
- Jihadist Recruiter Stresses Secrecy Prior to Migration, Suggests Ways to Keep a Low Profile
An alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter and recruiter stressed the importance of keeping a low profile to prospective IS emigrants and suggested secrecy measures to take before migrating in a series of Ask.fm answers between November 29 and December 1, 2014.
- Female Jihadist Posts Pictures of American, British, Canadian, Australian Passports to be Burned
A female jihadist allegedly living under the Islamic State (IS) posted a picture to Twitter of four passports from the UK, America, Australia, and Canada, which she claimed were going to be burned.
- IS Recruiter Claims Lebanese, Indian, Kenyan Fighters among Ranks
An alleged British fighter and recruiter with the Islamic State (IS) answered questions on Ask.fm regarding different the nationalities of fighters with IS.
- Female Jihadist Under IS Warns Other Women against Traveling to Idlib
A prominent female jihadist recruiter living under the Islamic State (IS) in Syria warned women against migrating to Idlib, a Syrian governorate, as IS does not have a presence there.
- Jihadists Argue Over IS Policy on Fighters Returning Home
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter shared a dispute on Ask.fm regarding the group's policy on letting fighters return home with another user, who claimed to have difficulty in leaving the group.
- Outspoken British Islamist Announces Arrival to IS Caliphate, Insults British Security
Siddhartha Dhar, an outspoken British Islamist, announced that he had arrived under the Islamic State (IS)-declared Caliphate and criticized what he called "a shoddy security system Britain must have" for allowing him to leave the country.
- Jihadists Warn Aid Workers to Stay Out of Syria
Jihadists on Twitter warned aid workers against entering Syria, expressing skepticism of their motives.
- Jihadist Explains Treatment of Female Slaves under IS
An alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter in Syria purported the treatment of slaves, particularly female slaves, under the group's rule.
- Female Jihadists Encourage Other Females to Contact Women, Not Men, Regarding Migration
Female jihadists in Syria encouraged female prospects to inquire about migration exclusively from women—particularly themselves—instead of men.
- IS Fighter Refers Lone Wolves to Bomb-Making Manual
An alleged fighter with the Islamic State (IS) referred prospective lone wolf jihadists to a well-known bomb-making manual.