- Pro-IS Jihadist Warns Against Using SureSpot, Suggests Alternatives
A pro-Islamic State (IS) user on Twitter advised against the SureSpot instant messenger program, and suggested alternate apps such as TextSecure and Wickr.
- Fighter Encourages IS Residents to Write Leadership with Concerns
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter claimed that other fighters and residents were able to write IS leadership with any concerns with the group’s operations or management.
- IS Fighters Call for Migration to IS Outside of Iraq/Syria, Lone Wolf Attacks
Islamic State (IS) fighters called for supporters to migrate to the group in other countries, and for those unable to travel to commit lone wolf attacks.
- IS Fighter Details Wage Distribution, Claims Migrants Can Start Businesses Under IS
An Islamic State (IS) fighter in Syria answered frequently asked questions pertaining to wage distribution, opening businesses, and training procedures under the group.
- IS Recruiter Claims Border “Reopened” to Prospects Online
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter and recruiter made a lengthy call for migration to IS before claiming that the Syrian-Turkish border had “reopened.”
- Confirmed Death of Mullah Omar Sparks Controversy, Opportunism among Jihadi Communities
Confirmation of Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar’s death has caused controversy across jihadist communities on Twitter.
- Jihadists Express Skepticism at Reports of Mullah Omar’s Death
Media reports that Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is dead prompted conflicting responses among jihadist communities on Twitter.
- Prominent IS Recruiters Call for Continued Migration via Turkey, Condemn Others Expressing Doubt
Prominent Islamic State (IS) fighters and recruiters on Twitter have continued to encourage migration to the group in Syria despite increased offensives and border security by the Turkish government.
- Alleged IS Fighter Threatens America, Implies Call for Suicide Missions
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter on Twitter continued to make threats toward the U.S., which included an implied call for suicide operations in the country.
- IS Supporter Warns of Retaliation to Anti-Islamic Violence in U.K.
An Islamic State (IS)-supporting account on Twitter warned of violent response to anti-Islamic sentiments and action in the U.K.
- Women Under IS Claim Migration via Turkey Still Possible, Stress Increased Caution
A blog run by alleged women under the Islamic State (IS) claimed that migration to Syria via Turkey was still possible amid new offensives on IS border crossings, but stressed increased caution.
- IS Fighters and Supporters Threaten Turkey amid New Attacks on IS Forces
Islamic State (IS) fighters and supporters on Twitter reacted to recently initiated offensives on the group by the Turkish military with violent rhetoric.
- IS Fighter Claims Crucial Border Crossings in Jeopardy amid Offensives by Turkish Military
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter on Twitter commented on recent assaults by the Turkish military and their effects on crucial entry points of foreign IS fighters.
- IS Women Claim Widows not Required to Remarry, Suggest Deleting Data before Migration
Blogs run by alleged women living under the Islamic State (IS) claimed that widowed women under the group reserve the choice to get remarried, and offered tips for preparing for migration.
- IS Fighters and Supporters Call for Lone Wolf Attacks, Invoke Past Attacks
Islamic State (IS) fighters and supporters on Twitter made calls for lone wolf attacks, some of whom promoting past lone wolf attacks in doing so.
- Woman Under IS Answers FAQs on Migration, Claims Detailed Background Checks by IS
A blog run by an alleged woman living under the Islamic State (IS) provided answers to frequently asked questions regarding women entering and living under the group.
- Blog Gives Clothing, Medical Supplies “Checklist” for Women Migrating to IS
A blog run by alleged women living under the Islamic State (IS) provided an extensive list of items for women to bring (and not to bring) with them when migrating to the group.
- IS Supporter Offers Attack Methods and Targets for Westerners
An Islamic State (IS) supporter provided a series of methods and targets for lone wolf attacks in the West.
- IS Fighter Calls for Allegiance from African Americans, Lone Wolf Attacks in West
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter called for lone wolf attacks in the West and for African American communities to pledge to the group.
- IS Fighters Confirm Prominent Fighter “Abu Dujana” Dead
A prominent British Islamic State (IS) fighter and recruiter was confirmed dead by IS fighters and supporters on Twitter.
- IS Fighter in Libya Claims Fighters will Enter Italy by Boat, Warns of Coming Attack on Westerners
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter in Libya called for lone wolf attacks from those not able to migrate to IS, and threatened that IS fighters look to enter Italy by boat.
- Twitter Accounts Make Unconfirmed Claims that Mujahid Miski Died
Users on Twitter have made unconfirmed claims that Mohamed Abdullahi Hassan, an American jihadi fighter in Somalia going by the alias “Mujahid Miski,” had died.
- Jihadists Praise Chattanooga Shooter Mohammad Youssuf Abdulazeez as a Martyr
Jihadists on Twitter have provided overwhelming celebration of Chattanooga shooter Mohammad Youssuf Abdulazeez, who killed four U.S. Marines, as a hero to the jihadist movement.
- IS Fighter Makes Implied Call for Attacks in Popular Retail Chain
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter in Syria made an implied call for lone wolf attacks in a popular chain of retail stores.
- IS Fighter Threatens China for Fasting Ban
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter threatened China in response to its banning of Ramadan fasting in its Xinjiang province.
- IS Fighters and Supporters Celebrate Reports of Possible Pledge from Shabaab
Islamic State (IS) fighters and supporters have celebrated reports that leaders from the Shabaab al-Mujahideen Movement were considering pledging allegiance to IS.
- IS Fighter Claims Cooperation, Pledges from Ansar al-Sharia Fighters in Libya
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter in Libya claimed that IS fighters in the country cooperate with Ansar al-Sharia in places like Benghazi.
- IS Fighter Claims Lone Wolves Probing, Awaiting Attack Orders on Military Targets
A prominent British Islamic State (IS) fighter claimed that the group holds spies in other countries who are “waiting for the command to attack,” while also indicating military personnel as targets.
- IS Fighters Criticize Taliban Leadership, Claim Increasing Defections to IS
Accounts of Islamic State (IS) fighters and supporters have expressed increasingly negative sentiments toward Taliban leadership amid IS’s expansion into the Afghanistan-Pakistan region, with some claiming mounting defections to IS.
- Prominent British IS Fighter Reportedly Killed in Syria
A prominent British Islamic State (IS) fighter and recruiter was stated to be dead by IS fighters and supporters on Twitter.
- Non-IS Jihadists Claim Ariha Mosque Attack was Carried out by IS Fighter
Accounts of non-Islamic State (IS) jihadists on Twitter commented on the July 3, 2015 suicide attack on a mosque in Syria, claiming that it was carried out by an IS fighter.
- IS Supporter and Fighter Make Calls for Lone Wolf Attacks, Suggest Targets
Two Islamic State (IS) supporters made direct and implied calls for lone wolf attacks, one of whom offering specific types of locations and methods of attack.
- IS Recruiter Announces Use of Secure Messaging Application
A high-profile Islamic State (IS) recruiter announced that he had begun to use the Threema messaging platform to facilitate emigration to the group.
- Alleged Fighter, Sympathizer Evaluate IS Loss at Tal Abyad
Two Nusra Front supporters—one of whom an affiliated fighter in Lattakia—discussed the consequences of the Islamic State’s (IS) loss of Tal Abyad to Kurdish and allied forces.
- IS Residents Call for Emigration to Libya
Several alleged Westerners in Libya urged prospective Islamic State (IS) migrants to consider leaving for Libya instead of Syria.
- Radical British Islamist Preacher Blames Attack in France on Country’s Foreign Policy
Radical British Islamist preacher and Islamic State (IS) supporter Anjem Choudary released a statement blaming French foreign policy for the June 26, 2015 terrorist attack at a gas factory in the country.
- Non-IS Fighters Claim Increased Fuel Prices in Aleppo Amid IS “Cutoff”
Non-Islamic State (IS) fighters in Syria have expressed blame toward the group for a drastic increase in fuel prices in Aleppo, which they allege to have affected locals.
- Woman Under IS Details Migration Stop in Turkey, Claims Irish and New Zealander Women with Group
An alleged woman living under the Islamic State (IS) claimed to have met women with the group from New Zealand and Ireland, and gave a detailed account of her stop in Turkey before arriving in Syria.
- IS Fighter Forwards Rumors of Fighters Returning to Home Countries for Attack
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter forwarded rumors that fighters skilled in chemical weapons-making had successfully returned to their home countries.
- IS Fighter Promises Safety to Female Prospects, Details IS Financial Assistance Programs
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter attempted to dispel safety concerns of women considering migrating to IS.
- NF Fighter Claims Gradual Approach by Group in Implementing Shariah
An alleged fighter with al-Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s (AQ) Syrian affiliate group, claimed that NF and allied Islamist rebel groups took a gradual approach in recruiting Syrians to Islam and implementing Sharia law upon them.
- “Eye Witness Report” Details IS’s Handling of Displaced Syrians in Tal Abyad, Pending Clashes
The account of an alleged Dutch fighter with al-Nusra Front (NF), al-Qaeda’s (AQ) Syrian affiliate group, offered a translation of an “eye witness report” of Islamic State’s (IS) handling of displaced Syrians in the Raqqa town of Tal Abyad.
- IS Fighter Indicates Rules by IS Regarding Social Media, Lists Array of Groups Fought With
A prominent Dutch Islamic State (IS) fighter indicated there to be strict rules regarding information shared on social media compared to other groups, and also listed groups he claimed to have fought with prior to joining IS.
- Pro-IS Twitter Account Compiles “Security Starter Kit” for Users Online
A pro-Islamic State (IS) Twitter account posted a series of links to computer programs designed to encrypt messages and remove sensitive data from hard drives, and offered possible future tutorials for the programs.
- British IS Fighter Calls for Attack on Pam Geller, Provides Alleged Address
A prominent British fighter and recruiter with the Islamic State (IS) tweeted a call for attack against anti-Islamist activist Pam Geller, tweeting what was presented to be her address in NY.
- British IS Fighter Claims to have Advised Boston Attacker Usaamah Rahim
After tweeting calls to kill anti-Islamist activist Pam Geller, a prominent British Islamic State (IS) fighter and recruiter returned with a new Twitter account on the same day and claimed to have advised Usaamah Rahim, an IS supporter recently killed in Boston for attempting to kill a police officer.
- NF Fighters Forward Claims of Women Taken by IS as Slaves in Aleppo
Claims that the Islamic State (IS) had taken women as slaves in Aleppo were forwarded and condemned on Twitter by fighters with al-Nusra Front (NF).
- IS Recruiters Offer Migration Assistance, Refer other Contacts
Alleged Islamic State (IS) fighters and recruiters offered assistance with migrating to IS while vouching for other accounts to help in that regard.
- Prominent IS Recruiter Offers Advice on Keep Low Profile Prior to Migration
A prominent alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter and recruiter, as part of an ongoing series of advice guides, provided suggestions for keeping a low profile prior to migrating to IS.
- IS Fighter, Supporter Make Calls for Lone Wolf Attacks
An Islamic State (IS) fighter and an IS supporter issued separate calls for lone wolf attacks, one of whom claiming permissibility in stealing non-Muslims’ money.
- NF and Rebel Groups Condemn IS Attacks in Northern Aleppo, Report on Counteroffensives
Rebel and jihadi fighters and supporters on social media expressed unanimous condemnation of the Islamic State’s (IS) recent offensives in northern Aleppo, while detailing various groups’ counter-offensives against them.
- Translation of Interview with NF Leader Provided by Fighter
The first installment of a multi-part al-Jazeera interview with Nusra Front (IS) leader Abu Mohammad al-Joulani was translated and released in a series of excerpts by an alleged Dutch fighter with the group.
- NF Fighter Alleges Decisive Retention Period for New Fighters, No Slave-Taking Policy
An alleged British fighter with al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda’s (AQ) Syrian affiliate, alleged a decisive time period for new fighters regarding their retention, and also claimed that al-Nusra Front (and AQ) does not take slaves.
- British IS Fighter Offers Private Instructions for Lone Wolf Attacks
A prominent alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter and recruiter posted a series of calls for lone wolf attacks and offered private instructions to any willing attackers.
- Prominent British IS Fighter and Recruiter Declared Dead
Accounts of alleged Islamic State (IS) fighters and residents on Twitter declared the death of a prominent British fighter and recruiter.
- IS Fighter Calls for Lone Wolf Attacks on Western Police Officers
An alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter on Twitter made calls for attacks on Western police officers, claiming any subsequent jail time served as ideal time to practice Islam.
- Pro-IS Twitter Accounts Warn of, Call for Attacks on U.K. Newspaper
Pro-Islamic State (IS) accounts on Twitter brought attention to a popular U.K. news publication’s reporting on Westerners’ attempts to migrate to IS, with one user calling for attacks on the publication.
- Nusra Front Fighter Demands Allied Rebel Groups Condemn Coalition Airstrikes
An alleged Dutch fighter with al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda’s (AQ) Syrian affiliate group, condemned what he indicated to be a lack of solidarity from allied groups in Syria regarding attacks by U.S.-led coalition forces on al-Nusra Front.
- Pro-IS Accounts Celebrate Group’s Purported Takeover of Tadmur
Amid reports by Islamic State (IS)-linked accounts that the group had taken over the Syrian city of Tadmur, fighters and supporters of the group on Twitter celebrated the event, expressing a sense of rapid progress by the group and projecting its future offensives.
- IS Fighters Make and Forward Calls for Western Attacks, Donations
Islamic State (IS) fighters and supporters created and forwarded calls for lone wolf attacks and solicitations for donations on Twitter.
- IS Fighters Discuss the Taking of Female Slaves
Alleged Islamic State (IS) fighters on Twitter discussed the group’s taking of female slaves and the Islamic permissibility of doing so.
- IS Fighter Publishes Lauding Guide for Life under IS
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter published a guide to life under the group, presenting it as a potential-rich experience under a blossoming empire.
- IS Fighters Make Threats for U.K. Attacks, Imply Targets
Two fighters with the Islamic State (IS) issued threats and implied targets for lone wolf attacks in the U.K., including various London attractions and high-profile politicians.
- Woman Living Under IS Prepares Incoming Women for Hardships
A woman allegedly living under the Islamic State (IS) provided advice to incoming female migrants, preparing them for the “trials” that come with their lifestyle changes.
- IS Fighters Claim Resistance by Local Women to Dress Requirements, Harsh Enforcement
Following a purported new requirement by the Islamic State (IS) for women to cover their eyes in public, fighters and supporters of the group discussed local women’s resistance to such rules, along with the group’s strict enforcement of them.
- IS Fighters use Hypothetical Narratives, Argumentation to Push for Lone Wolf Attacks
Islamic State (IS) fighters on Twitter attempted to inspire lone wolf attacks in the West through such methods as hypothetical narratives and disputing the effectiveness of peaceful protest.
- IS Fighter Tweets Photo of Explosive Device, Responding User Claims Plan for U.K. Attack
An alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter tweeted photos of what he presented as an explosive belt while calling for lone wolf attacks, prompting a response from another user claiming to be planning an attack with a similar device.
- IS Fighters Make Unsubstantiated Claim of Bombs on Planes amid Calls for Lone Wolf Attacks
As IS fighters continue to make calls for lone wolf attacks, the accounts of three prominent alleged IS fighters on Twitter tweeted and retweeted claims that a bomb was planted on two planes in what appeared to be an attempt to instill fear in the West.
- British IS Fighter Gives Advice on Being Garrisoned to Incoming Fighters
An alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter published an essay of advice for incoming fighters on being “in Ribat [garrisoned].”
- IS Fighters and Supporters Call for Attacks on British Police and MPs, Filipino Soldiers
Islamic State (IS) fighters and supporters made calls for lone wolf attacks on British police officers and Members of Parliament (MP), as well as the capturing and killing of Filipino Christians and soldiers.
- Nusra Front Fighter Offers Narrative of his Radicalization
An alleged fighter with al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda’s (AQ) Syrian affiliate, published an essay detailing his radicalization, wherein he denied the process happening solely on the internet.
- Prominent Dutch Jihadist Claims to Have Joined IS, Addresses Rumors
A prominent Dutch jihadist fighter in Syria addressed rumors surrounding his recent activity and whereabouts, while also confirming to have joined the Islamic State (IS).
- IS Supporters Discuss Migrating to Suriname
An IS supporter on Twitter led a discussion on migrating to the South American country of Suriname to establish a jihadist military base.
- Australian IS Supporter Calls for Attacks on U.K. Voting Locations, Synagogues amid General Elections
The Twitter account of an alleged Australian Islamic State (IS) supporter, noting the May 7, 2015 U.K. General Elections, called for jihadists in the country to carry out lone wolf attacks on voting locations and synagogues.
- Jihadi Fighters Comment on Dutch Politician’s Status as a Target
Two alleged jihadist fighters in Syria commented on Dutch anti-Islam politician Geert Wilders’ status as a target among jihadists.
- Alleged American IS Fighter Advises on Security, Killing Agents When Fearing Arrest
The alleged American Islamic State (IS) fighter who claimed that the group has 71 “trained soldiers” in 15 different states in the U.S., published a booklet advising fighters about their personal security and suggesting that they kill intelligence agents before being arrested.
- IS Fighter Details Alleged Capture and Release by Turkish Authorities
An alleged British fighter with the Islamic State (IS) detailed his purported abuse and release by the Turkish Army after allegedly getting arrested on the country’s border.
- IS Fighter Offers Followers “Secure Procedure” for Donations
An alleged Canadian Islamic State (IS) fighter called for donations to the group on Twitter, promising any such donors a “secure procedure” to do so.
- British IS Fighter Calls for Killing of EDL Founder
An alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter called for the killing of Tommy Robinson, the founder of the far-right English Defense League (EDL) group, after his reported pledge to host a contest for drawings of the Prophet.
- British IS Fighters Call for Attacks on U.K. Polling Stations, Politicians
Two alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighters on Twitter made direct and implied calls for attacks on U.K. polling locations and politicians, as well as other Western countries.
- IS Fighter Touts Provisions by IS as Alternative to Western “Greed”
An alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter promoted what he claimed to be the group’s provisions of utilities and services, including gas and dental treatment.
- IS Resident Details, Coordinates Possible Medical Training with Prospect
An alleged resident under the Islamic State (IS) provided information regarding the group’s medical education program, and appeared to coordinate possible future training with a prospect.
- IS Fighter Distributes Bomb-Making Instructions, Calls for Attack on Petrol Stations
A prominent alleged fighter and recruiter with the Islamic State (IS) distributed bomb-making instructions on Twitter and called for attacks on gas stations.
- IS Supporters Use Baltimore Riots as Point of Recruitment, Frame Rioters as “US Rebels”
Fighters and supporters of the Islamic State (IS) on Twitter have begun exploiting riots and racial tensions in Baltimore for recruitment.
- IS Supporters Circulate Photos Threatening Italy, Other Nations
Supporters of the Islamic State (IS) on Twitter have been distributing images, most of which allegedly taken from inside Italy, threatening the country and others with lone wolf attacks.
- Jihadists Call for Attacks on American, Australian Cartoonists for Depicting the Prophet
Jihadists on Twitter circulated calls and insinuations for attacks on cartoonists in Australia and America for past and planned depictions of the Prophet.
- IS Fighter Demands Lone Wolf Attacks from Western Muslims, Condemns Inactive Supporters
A prominent Islamic State (IS) fighter and recruiter on Twitter made a lengthy and demanding call for lone wolf attacks in the West, characterizing those who have not done so as cowardly and treasonous to Islam.
- IS Fighters and Supporters Encourage Stealing to Fund Migration, Prompt Debate on Twitter
Two pro-Islamic State (IS) Twitter accounts encouraged Westerners to steal if necessary for migration, which turned into a debate amongst jihadists regarding the permissibility of such theft.
- Women Living Under IS Claim Increasing Security Measures Regarding Immigrants
A blog allegedly run by women living under the Islamic State (IS) claimed that the group has grown increasingly strict regarding acceptance of incoming immigrants.
- Female IS Resident Shares Insight into Career Options, Status of Prominent Recruiter
An alleged female jihadist living under the Islamic State (IS) answered questions about life in IS-controlled territory and potential career options within IS on a Tumblr blog.
- IS Fighters Warn Prospects on Twitter to Avoid Online Entrapment, Threaten Spies
Twitter accounts of Islamic State (IS) fighters have been cautioning prospects on Twitter to beware of spying and entrapment on social media in recent weeks, while also making threats to potential spies.
- British IS Fighter Instructs Fighters and Supporters to Avoid “Honey Traps,” Advises Security Measures
An alleged Islamic State (IS) fighter in Syria posted a warning and series of directions on how to avoid honey pot-method spying.
- Nusra Front Fighters Condemn Killing of Abu Mariya, Call for IS Fighters to Reconsider Loyalties
Fighters and supporters of al-Nusra Front, al-Qaeda’s (AQ) Syrian affiliate, condemned the Islamic State (IS) and called on its fighters to leave the group following its alleged killing of al-Nusra Front’s leader in Mar’a, Abu Mariya.
- IS Police Duties, Battles against FSA Detailed in IS Fighter’s Essay
An alleged fighter with the Islamic State (IS) provided an essay containing detailed accounts of purported battles against Free Syrian Army (FSA) forces and procedures of IS’s police forces.
- Alleged Married Couple under IS Offers Private Migration Advice on Twitter
Pro-Islamic State (IS) accounts on Twitter have promoted the account of an alleged male IS resident offering private advice on migration along with his wife.
- Pro-IS Twitter Accounts Call for Lone Wolf Attacks, Migration to Yemen
Two pro-Islamic State (IS) accounts on Twitter called for lone wolf attacks and migration to jihadist fronts in Yemen between April 5 and 7, 2015.
- IS Fighter Details Housing Situation between Fighters and Residents
An alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter published a detailed essay explaining housing situations for IS fighters and Syrian citizens.
- Female IS Resident Claims Sufficient Medical Treatment, Education to Female Prospects
An alleged female jihadist living in the Islamic State (IS) described life in IS-controlled territory on a Tumblr blog throughout answers with inquiring readers.
- British IS Fighters Call for Lone Wolf Attacks, Specify Targets and Methods
Between April 4 and 6 of 2015, three alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighters and recruiters called for lone wolf attacks in Western countries while providing targets and methods of attack.
- Wife of IS Fighter Incites for Domestic Attacks
The wife of an alleged British Islamic State (IS) fighter made an incitement for lone wolf attacks by commenting on what she implied to be inactivity of lone wolf jihadists.